Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Del Rio Guest

Re: Interesting stat from TB game

I guess that depends on what you want and what kind of team you are.

If you are a passing team who doesn't preach run then you want an explosive back that can catch. That way you can swing him a screen pass or a check down.

If you pass a lot then your going to get blitzed a lot and that is the time you want a rb who has the speed and capability to bust out a 60+ yarder and bennett has that. So you are passing passing passing, and then you know they are going to bring the house you give the ball to bennett he runs it for a score. The defensive cord. now knows that he will have to be more careful.

That's why I say if people want MM they need to bitch about it to Tice because he doesn't care if we can run 4-6 yards a carry. He wants to pass pass pass, he wants a guy who has the potential to make the D pay for blitzing, and he wants a guy who can become a reciever.

They both have a place in the NFL, being one or the other doesn't make you a better or worse running back. It may make you a bit one dimensional but if that dimension is what the team you play for is looking for then so be it.

Yards are yards.

Prophet Guest

First, this is not in defense of Bennett. This is just an observation supporting the fact that we need to run the ball more. Since Bennett has been on the Vikings his average carries/game/year that he has played in were:

2001: 13 carries/game
    2002: 16 c/g
    2003: 11 c/g
    2004: 6 c/g

If you compare those stats to someone like Priest Holmes his average carries/game/yr for the past few years were:

2001: 20 c/g
    2002: 22 c/g
    2003: 20 c/g
    2004: 25 c/g

Obviously, the Vikings have been an air team with the running game benefiting from this because we have not had a predominately running game oriented offense since when? the Chuck Foreman days?

The point is that whoever the running back is for the Vikings, they need to feed him the ball more if they expect to go places. The air attack followed by an improved running game only works when you have superstar receivers, and even then it is a facade. The majority of time teams that make it to the playoffs with a pass dominated offense do not make it deep into the playoffs. (Disclaimer: thes comments are assuming the D is at least in the middle of the pack)

UTVikfan is offline Coordinator

Prophet, are those stats skewed or is it just me. Do the Chiefs put in Moe Williams at the goal line and on 3rd down? Oh, they don't? Holmes is a HUGE red zone threat. Take out his red zone carries then post the numbers. And take away third downs too. If you add in his injuries and the the times his backup is running, you have just posted garbage. You can find a stat to prove anything. Stats that actually have some type of relavance are really hard to find.

Yeah! Yeah! we shut them down...... Uh? except you guys forgot the most and only important stat! WE LOST! Thats whats wrong with this team they try to find something to be happy with upon a lost instead of admitting there mistakes and fixing them! Uh i thought we played good special teams the coverage was nice. Uh our coaches did a very good job of preparing for this week..... I'm tired of hearing how good things were in a loss! Get into somebody's ass and implement some discipline. We got our A$$es kicked by a bad football team! If M. Clayton had not had so many drops our D wouldn' thave looked so good! Let's get it going!

P.S. I thought M. Clayton wasn't that fast! Because it sure look likt to me he was stride for stride with Cadillac on that long TD! And he was blocking Winfield!
    6949da5ce3db19514b6088f4f00ffabd

smootpepper is offline Pro-Bowler

Yeah, I see what you're saying del. Im more of a 3 to 9 YPC guy. Keep running the ball picking up 1st downs, run the time off the clock, give the defense a rest, and keep the other teams offense off the field. Make the defense bring up an 8th man to stop the run then have daunte make them pay with the big pass.

Good stats prophet, we need to hand the ball off more, 12 runs a game doesnt cut it for me.

We should rotate all of our backs, who cares if thats not proper football etiquette! What if Bill Walsh was scared to try out his westcoast offense, because it was something that coaches "just didn't do"!
    6949da5ce3db19514b6088f4f00ffabd

Del Rio Guest

"arialassault84" wrote:
    Yeah! Yeah! we shut them down...... Uh? except you guys forgot the most and only important stat! WE LOST! Thats whats wrong with this team they try to find something to be happy with upon a lost instead of admitting there mistakes and fixing them! Uh i thought we played good special teams the coverage was nice. Uh our coaches did a very good job of preparing for this week..... I'm tired of hearing how good things were in a loss! Get into somebody's jiggly butt and implement some discipline. We got our A$$es kicked by a bad football team! If M. Clayton had not had so many drops our D wouldn' thave looked so good! Let's get it going!

P.S. I thought M. Clayton wasn't that fast! Because it sure look likt to me he was stride for stride with Cadillac on that long TD! And he was blocking Winfield!

I can guarantee there was some ass chewing going on. That being said even after an ugly loss, dwelling on negative things is pointless. You figure out what went wrong fix them. As a fan I don't have a lot of say in what we do, so focusing on what we did right is less stressful.

I would really like to see some I formation with memo, I think hoping for the big run is unrealistic at this point, maybe rotate him (bennett) in later. Right now I would like to see some dominance. Get those young lineman out there knocking people on their butts, it will improve the pass blocking too as it builds confidence.

Prophet Guest

"UTVikfan" wrote:
    Prophet, are those stats skewed or is it just me. Do the Chiefs put in Moe Williams at the goal line and on 3rd down? Oh, they don't? Holmes is a HUGE red zone threat. Take out his red zone carries then post the numbers. And take away third downs too. If you add in his injuries and the the times his backup is running, you have just posted garbage. You can find a stat to prove anything. Stats that actually have some type of relavance are really hard to find.
    I think everyone is aware of the ability to manipulate statistics, which was not my intent. I didn't want to spend an inordinate amount of time breaking them out so I simply took the # of carries divided by the number of games they played in that year. The TD production wasn't even referred to.

The point is that the so-called consistent premiere running backs, regardless of their name or the team they play on, average over 20 touches a game. That stat held true in the winning games from week 1 this year too.

I agree statistics should always be taken lightly, but they do sometimes bring out trends that summarize, in general, what is happening. Statistics are the basis of everything we 'know' in science, but we should be cautious in their interpretations.

prefernfl is offline Waterboy

I don't think the Vikes have been able to fully utilize any sort of run game, due to their below average defense in recent seasons. Pep has been forced to throw because of being behind in games, or simply to keep pace with Minnesota opponents. With this new defense, the Vikes may be better able to make better use of a run game.

tampaviking is offline Rookie

being from the home town of the bucs, i can say that it looked more like jon gruden was trying to justify picking up williams when they already had a decent back in pittman. the bucs seem to always get good running backs then try to pound them down opponents throats, while it is effective they always seem to lose there backs to other teams. i wouldn't want to get beat up behind that line for 16 weeks, anyway GO BILLS

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast