Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    prefernfl is offline Waterboy

Re: Interesting stat from TB game

I agree that the Viking D is vastly improved...it didn't have alot of options out there but to go up.

I think a defense that has been ignored for alot of years is finally getting some playmakers over there.

As for Caddy? Alot of backs get their stats "padded" by 1-2 big runs per game. Look at Barry Sanders for example. Barry could be held in check for several runs, then he'd bust off an 80+ yard run.

I do think Minny's o-line play was poor, but I also think the Buc D had some to do with that. And Week One is hardly the first time that Pepper has turned the ball over. His first few years in the league, I recall Vike fans screaming for his head due to his INT's and fumbles. Alot of Vike fans were clammoring for Todd Bouman at the time.

Always remember, there are 53 men across the field from the Vike bench that are trying to win also.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"prefernfl" wrote:
    Always remember, there are 53 men across the field from the Vike bench that are trying to win also.
    I wouldn't call Griese a man.

More like a sissy! :razz:

MensaTice is offline Star Spokesman

"VKG4LFE" wrote:
    That's cuz in the second half we held them to virtually nothing with our D. I believe after the first half they were up almost 2 to 1 in TOP.
    Bingo. The first half was pretty ugly but we came around in the second half. We did move the ball in the second half despite not getting in the endzone. I didn't know the final TOP was this close. That is amazing considering how bad the offense played.

[color=red]

so-cal vike is offline Team Alumni

"Mr Anderson" wrote:
    Caddilac averaged 2.9 ypc, and only rushed for 77 yards until he broke that 71 yard TD run. So he really got shut down.
    Every sports reporter fails to mention that. All they talk about are the total yards. That final 71 yard break was just that, a final break. Now I know that no defense wants to allow a big gain at any point in the game but, the game was all but over. His run would have been more impressive had it come say...in the first 3 quarters.

As mnjamie put it "But if you listen to all the "Experts" on the tube, he's the next Emmit Smith"

We'll see.

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "prefernfl" wrote:
    I wouldn't call Griese a man.

More like a sissy! :razz:
    "sissy" like your run game?

So-Cal Vike-

Why would Caddy's run have been bigger during the first 3 qtrs??

I have read on here that up until Caddy's TD run that the Vikes were still in the game....and they were. I don't see how his 71 yarder was any less important when he did it in the 4th qtr.

And I have seen teams hold Barry Sanders down throughout the game, only for him to bust a big one at the end just like Caddy did.

The rationale used here just isn't making sense. If Michael Bennett does what Caddy did and it seals a Vike win, you'd be talking totally different--guaranteed.

Prophet Guest

I agree. The point is that if you have an RB that has the potential for a big gain you have to keep feeding them the ball and they will eventually break loose with one. Many of the big games that RBs have are due to wearing down the defense by pounding the ball at them for the whole game.

"Prophet" wrote:
    I agree. The point is that if you have an RB that has the potential for a big gain you have to keep feeding them the ball and they will eventually break loose with one. Many of the big games that RBs have are due to wearing down the defense by pounding the ball at them for the whole game.
    Prophet...

BINGO!! You hit the nail square on the head. That is precisely what I meant. Glad you understood what I was saying.

Del Rio Guest

Part of the running game is breaking the big run lol. The ability to break a big run makes a good running back even better. LMAO.

He tore us a new ass. I don't care if you don't put stock into a guy breaking a 70+ yarder but at the end of the day that's 70 yards you gave up and that's 70 yards he ran for. You can try to justify anything, but to me this sounds like trying to put a bandaid on a gushing wound.

There are 11 guys on the field more then one messed up when he broke free.

smootpepper is offline Pro-Bowler

To me there is a difference. Look at last year with the vikes and our running backs.

Bennet pretty consistantly was stuffed for a loss, his knack is breaking the big one to get all his yards. Doesnt really help us pound out 1st downs, he is just a home run hitter.

Moore averaged 5.9 ypc last year and I dont remember him ever breaking huge 70 yard gains to help average that. He always got between 3 and 9 yards a carry with the occasional stuff for a loss and the occasional run for 15..

Moe always gains 4 yards, might get stuffed for minus yards, comes back with 9 if your lucky.

I have heard it on these boards many times about bennet, he is not a running back, he doesnt gain yards consistantly. Sure he bust the occasional 70 yarder to pad his stats but he doesnt pick up the little yards. If all it takes to be a great running back is busting the big one bennet must be the best in the league.

Im not knocking caddy, he had a good game. There were times I thought he would lose yards but still managed a couple yard gain. Im just saying if all it takes to be a good back is the huge run then we must have the best back in the league.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast