Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mnjamie is offline Ring of Fame

Interesting read on the Bengals game ......

Last update: September 18, 2005 at 9:57 PM
    Don't get too specific pinning this blame
    September 19, 2005 PATR0919

CINCINNATI -- Steve Loney was back in civilian clothes and headed out of the visitors' locker room at Paul Brown Stadium on Sunday afternoon.

"It's a great life, if you don't weaken," he said.

Loney had no hint at the time that he could be facing a large test of that theory this week.

It appears Loney, the first-year offensive coordinator, could have his play-calling duties snatched away by his boss, Mike Tice. That would officially mark Loney as the scapegoat for an 0-2 start by a very flawed Vikings football team.

These Vikings have been immensely overrated in the alcohol-addled minds of their fans since the athletes reported to Mankato.

What was shocking were the similarly optimistic forecasts coming from the national media. Apparently, this was based on the Vikings' addition of several aging players with injury histories to a porous defense.

There was some reality for fans and forecasters last week, when Tampa Bay came into the Metrodome, kept things as dull as possible and won 24-13 in the season opener.

What happened in the first road game on Sunday was more surrealism. Cincinnati humiliated the Vikings 37-8, and the Bengals did it while humiliating themselves with a franchise-record 17 penalties.

That final margin -- 29 points -- was absolutely the closest it could have been for the visitors. Bengals by 56-0 or something similar was feasible, if they had been crisp and smart, as well as aggressive. They were so idiotic at times that coach Marvin Lewis gave a push to Reggie Myles after he committed an unsportsmanlike penalty.

Cincinnati scored on a 70-yard pass to Chad Johnson on the game's second play. That wasn't a fluke but a trend. The Bengals had 337 yards at halftime and the score was 27-0.

Apparently, the blame for this awful defense -- as awful as when Eric Kelly, Ronnie Bradford or Denard Walker were in Tice's secondary -- will fall to Loney, for his inability to properly instruct the offense.

That was Tice's twist on events after the game, when he emphasized his team's turnovers rather than the inability to disrupt in any way quarterback Carson Palmer and his Cincinnati offense.

Tice's opening comments in his postgame interview session mentioned turnovers three times. What he offered on his defense was that it "was on the field too long again."

When those 337 first-half yards were mentioned to Tice, he said, "The second play is probably one-third of that."

Actually, it's 21 percent, and there was also an 86-yard swing pass to Chris Perry nullified by a holding penalty that Perry didn't need to get open on the sideline.

In other words, Tice's defense was fortunate it was merely 337 yards allowed and 27-0 at halftime. The turnovers were disastrous, and no more so than this defense with its $20 million worth of bonus golden-agers.

Daunte Culpepper had a career-high five interceptions. Four came in the second half, with the game already lost. Michael Bennett had two lost fumbles in the first half, guaranteeing that he will now become the caddie to Mewelde Moore, the people's choice at running back.

Later, Bennett complained about being benched for a time after his first fumble. This was more ridiculous than Tice complaining about a defense that gave up 16 first-half first downs being on the field too long.

And get ready, folks. The attempts to spin Sunday's abomination as having been avoidable could get more preposterous.

It appeared that Tice was calling the plays on the Vikings' last possession, which resulted in an 82-yard drive for a touchdown. This was the Vikings' first offensive touchdown in the 0-2 start.

Hopefully, Tice doesn't see this as evidence that all his offense needs is a sharper play-caller -- HIM! -- to come out of this funk. Hopefully, he doesn't see this as any more than it was -- a consolation touchdown against a retreating defense that didn't care if the Vikings made it to the end zone.

What this offense needs isn't Tice at the helm. What it needs is for Culpepper to stop throwing the ball in a general direction but to his receivers' hands, and for Nate Burleson to forget being a star receiver and go back to being an adequate one, and for Moore to stop making mistakes more subtle but almost as disruptive as Bennett's fumbles, and for the line to continue its improvement -- from horrible in Week 1, to so-so in Week 2, and, maybe, to high mediocrity in Week 3.

What this offense also needs is an adequate defense, which it hasn't had in this century, and of which there was no evidence Sunday when it faced a team trying to score (Cincinnati) rather than one (Tampa Bay) simply trying to run down the clock.

"It's a long season," said Rob Brzezinski, the vice president of football operations. "We have a good football team. We have confidence in our people. There's no panic here."

We'll have a more accurate gauge of the panic level when we find out who will be calling the plays next Sunday.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Re: Interesting read on the Bengals game ......

These Vikings have been immensely overrated in the alcohol-addled minds of their fans since the athletes reported to Mankato.

What was shocking were the similarly optimistic forecasts coming from the national media. Apparently, this was based on the Vikings' addition of several aging players with injury histories to a porous defense.

Several aging? Everybody is aging but they make it seem like we went out and got some 37 year old players?

The fans drank too much of my beer! Eat me!

akvikefan89 is offline Star Spokesman

We can only hope.... good read.

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Hey, I was at the game and saw far more drinking and alcohol-addled minds from Bengal's fans in my section than the five or 6 Viking fans. In fact, those Bengals fans were obnixous! I got out of there in the third quarter fearing something bad was gonna happen by the Bengals drunks!
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Two guess's on which Twin Cities reporter wrote this article: Starts with "R" and ends in "eusse" .... nothing but love from the local media ... gotta luv it !!!!

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

OK, that's it...the Free Beer is cut off until further notice! :lol: Ultra will not be serving any more beer until the Vikings start winning!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

smootpepper is offline Pro-Bowler

While loney deserves some of the blame for our offense sucking it up, I think Cpep should get most of it. Pep was missing wide open receivers all day, He was given plenty of time to pass on 70% of the plays, and when he was given more then enough time to throw the ball and noone was open, he just stood there and took a sack or fumbled the ball. What happened to the daunte that takes off running when nothing is there. What happened to the daunte that tosses the bll away instead of throwing it to the defense when nothing is there.

This sucks, we have a 6 year rookie as our starting QB. A RB that cant hold on to the ball and complains when he get benched because of it. A defense that if someone pats a player on the back for stopping a 50 yard gain one yard short of a TD gets put on IR. An oline that is too good at letting defenders by for screen passes because they seem to practice it on every other play. A coach with a nickname of meathead. And a team where all I have to talkl about is how great our punter looks.

First I hate williams, now cpep. I cant wait till next week to see who else im going to hate. I know its early in the season, but I have lost all faith in this team.

"smootpepper" wrote:
    While loney deserves some of the blame for our offense sucking it up, I think Cpep should get most of it. Pep was missing wide open receivers all day, He was given plenty of time to pass on 70% of the plays, and when he was given more then enough time to throw the ball and noone was open, he just stood there and took a sack or fumbled the ball. What happened to the daunte that takes off running when nothing is there. What happened to the daunte that tosses the bll away instead of throwing it to the defense when nothing is there.

This sucks, we have a 6 year rookie as our starting QB. A RB that cant hold on to the ball and complains when he get benched because of it. A defense that if someone pats a player on the back for stopping a 50 yard gain one yard short of a TD gets put on IR. An oline that is too good at letting defenders by for screen passes because they seem to practice it on every other play. A coach with a nickname of meathead. And a team where all I have to talkl about is how great our punter looks.

First I hate williams, now cpep. I cant wait till next week to see who else im going to hate. I know its early in the season, but I have lost all faith in this team.
    Pure poetry ... and sums up my day full of emtions and frustrations.

hovan is offline Star Spokesman

"smootpepper" wrote:

I think it's Smoots' fault :grin:
    Lombardis DEAD,
    Favrays OLD, the Packers SUCK,
    DEAL WITH IT!!!

mnvikes61 is offline Team Alumni

"smootpepper" wrote:

man i hope your kidding, you can't lose all hope for your team in the 2nd week. just give it some time and you'll love the vikes again. :grin:

Thanks Josdin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast