Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Interesting Questions And Answers

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    "snowinapril" wrote:

Bucky Scribner: In your humble opinion, are the players truly behind Tarvaris Jackson as their future quarterback?

KS: I think most players realize Tarvaris is the most comfortable option for 2008. Many of them have spent two years working with him, and they know that a new quarterback – even if it’s an accomplished guy like Donovan McNabb – would take time and a lot of extra work to get comfortable with. I’m sure there are plenty of players who know Tarvaris has a lot of work ahead of him, but I think they support him over bringing in someone else and starting over again. More than anything, they want stability, and Tarvaris is the guy that offers it...
    Anyone honestly think that McNabb would have a difficult time running this offense and getting use to WRs.

I don't!
    He has the confidence and the ability to command an offense at the NFL level, especially the one that he is already use to.
    KS, I don't think that you were thinking when you put his name in the paragraph.
    I would believe it more if you said Derrick Anderson.
    McNabb would fit right in. If I remember correctly wasn't Childress his OC in Philly and college QB coach?
    Yes, Childress was the OC in Philadelphia, but recent reports are indicating that McNabb and Reid had a much closer relationship than he did with The Big Chill.

No, Childress was never his college coach.
    Childress's college coaching career never took him to Syracuse.

=Z=
    Coach Rogers is the tie that binds.

;D

http://www.hokiesports.com/staff/rogers.html
    Thats right, sorry. What the hell am I thinking about? I am confused. Does this guy have ties to the Vikes? What thread am I thinking about?

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"marstc09" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    "snowinapril" wrote:

Bucky Scribner: In your humble opinion, are the players truly behind Tarvaris Jackson as their future quarterback?

KS: I think most players realize Tarvaris is the most comfortable option for 2008. Many of them have spent two years working with him, and they know that a new quarterback – even if it’s an accomplished guy like Donovan McNabb – would take time and a lot of extra work to get comfortable with. I’m sure there are plenty of players who know Tarvaris has a lot of work ahead of him, but I think they support him over bringing in someone else and starting over again. More than anything, they want stability, and Tarvaris is the guy that offers it...
    Anyone honestly think that McNabb would have a difficult time running this offense and getting use to WRs.

I don't!
    He has the confidence and the ability to command an offense at the NFL level, especially the one that he is already use to.
    KS, I don't think that you were thinking when you put his name in the paragraph.
    McNabb would fit right in. If I remember correctly wasn't Childress his OC in Philly and college QB coach?
    Yes, Childress was the OC in Philadelphia, but recent reports are indicating that McNabb and Reid had a much closer relationship than he did with The Big Chill.

=Z=

;D

Thats right, sorry. What the hell am I thinking about? I am confused. Does this guy have ties to the Vikes? What thread am I thinking about?
    Coach Rogers is the Vikes QB coach.
    Most of us down here in Hookie nations thought he would be the OC by now.
    Very well thought of in these parts.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    [quote author=snowinapril link=topic=41367.msg705746#msg705746 date=1200077018]

I don't!

=Z=

;D

[/quote]

So basically McNabb would be very comfortable in this system, right?!

"marstc09" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    [quote author=marstc09 link=topic=41367.msg705775#msg705775 date=1200079184]

I don't!

=Z=

;D

[/quote]

[/quote]
    Rumor has it that if the QB coach was the one that coached him in college and the HC was his OC I would assume that you would be pretty correct in saying that however let me throw a twist on it for you.....

Compare the offense that Philly runs against the offense that we run.
    It isn't the same.

Remember, the Chiller pretty much coached to Reids scheme.

As with all coaches, if given the chance, they will want to put thier own twist on a system if they can.

Long story short, The Chillers scheme, although a WCO, is a bit different than any other WCO that I have seen/studied.

Heavy run orientated with passing reliant on play action off of run.
    Carries more FB's than most.
    Carries more TE's than most.
    Huge athletic OL that can ZB/Man-to-Man Block.
    Still don't think we can see his passing scheme but anticipate it will be something that will attack zones (deep, intermediate, short) on a portion of the field (i.e. Left hash to sideline, 10 yards, 20 yards and deep) in a 3 WR set.
    Mobile QB that is a passer first.

Could Donavan run this scheme?
    I think he could.
    Do we need him to run this scheme.
    Today I say no.
    TJ will succeed next year because;

Line will be better next year.
    AD will be a better runner and blocker next year.
    TJ will be more comfortable next year.
    VET WR will solve alot of our passing woes next year.
    (Pray for Hackett).
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

"Marrdro" wrote:
    Very nice read my friend. Thanks.....

One item of interest.

akvikesfan: Can you clarify exactly what Childress and Zygi Wilf have stated as far as off season spending goes? A lot of people are throwing around a lot of different statements from not spending a dime to wanting to max out this year’s cap limit.

KS: My understanding is that the Wilfs are prepared to spend whatever Childress and Rick Spielman ask them to spend. They have made this clear on multiple occasions. Part of that sentiment, however, is based on Spielman’s stated desire to build through the draft and supplement through free agency. In other words, the Wilfs know Spielman probably isn’t going to ask them to sign another team’s franchise player, for instance.

This offseason, I would expect another year of signing complementary players on the free agent market and then pursuing core players in the draft.
    I know I beat this to death, but are people really that missinformed as to what everyones role is on a NFL staff?

Does anyone really believe that the Chiller sets the spending limits with the owner?

Jeeezzz Luizzzzeee

At least the author seems to understand everyones role.......
    If big salary players don't get signed and the owners say they are willing to pay whatever it takes, then it implies that Childress, Spielman,... don't feel the big salary guys are worth signing.
    Or possibly they have a hard time getting them to come to MN, which shows up when you see them appearing to overpay for players.
    We ended up considerably under our cap last year, money wasn't the limitation for us in signing players, it was the feeling that the players available weren't worth the price or weren't a good fit.

The question I would have is who from the Vikings org determines what a player is worth?
    Does Brad, Rick and crew just say, he's a guy we want go get him (as it appeared with Hutch).
    Or does Rob and gang come back and say it will cost us roughly $X to get this guy, leaving us with $X to spend.
    We have a budget of $X to spend on draft signees leaving us with $X to spend on FA and we want to leave a margin of $X for other needs that may come up.
    Just wondering how the signing cost of a player rolls into Brad and Rick when looking at trying to put the best team possible on the field.
    If I'm the coach,
    I would use whatever influence I have to bring in players that I think will have the best chances of improving my team (whether FA, draft, or anywhere else).
    And Brad may very well suggest we bring in a number of players that never make the team due to a myriad of other reasons.

If you take DE for example and decide Suggs is a guy you want to go after.
    Do you look at his position and decide okay he's the 7th best DE in the NFL, numbers 6 and 8 are making $5M and $4M a year respectively, so we should be able to get him for something in between that.
    However, Suggs boys come back and say most of the contracts were done 3-4 years ago and they are on the last few years of their contract.
    If you look at recent signings of DE's such as Kerney getting $40M over 6 years, he feels he should be getting closer to $6M a year.
    On top of that, some other team with a great weakness at DE comes in and offers him $6.2M.
    To a lot of people, if you bring him in at this price, it would be considered overpaying based on the rest of the DE's in the league and his perceived value.
    But reality is, if you want a proven commodity this is what it will cost.
    Who makes that decision whether he is worth it?

If the team continues to operate significantly under the cap, it doesn't show me that the org is doing what they can to put the best team on the field thats possible.
    I am not looking to be impressed by how frugal this org runs, I want to know that they are doing everything they can do build a SuperBowl caliber team.
    If I want to admire frugality in pro sports, I'll look to the Twins.

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

"tastywaves" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

One item of interest.

akvikesfan: Can you clarify exactly what Childress and Zygi Wilf have stated as far as off season spending goes? A lot of people are throwing around a lot of different statements from not spending a dime to wanting to max out this year’s cap limit.

KS: My understanding is that the Wilfs are prepared to spend whatever Childress and Rick Spielman ask them to spend. They have made this clear on multiple occasions. Part of that sentiment, however, is based on Spielman’s stated desire to build through the draft and supplement through free agency. In other words, the Wilfs know Spielman probably isn’t going to ask them to sign another team’s franchise player, for instance.

This offseason, I would expect another year of signing complementary players on the free agent market and then pursuing core players in the draft.
    I know I beat this to death, but are people really that missinformed as to what everyones role is on a NFL staff?

Does anyone really believe that the Chiller sets the spending limits with the owner?

Jeeezzz Luizzzzeee

If big salary players don't get signed and the owners say they are willing to pay whatever it takes, then it implies that Childress, Spielman,... don't feel the big salary guys are worth signing.
    Or possibly they have a hard time getting them to come to MN, which shows up when you see them appearing to overpay for players.
    We ended up considerably under our cap last year, money wasn't the limitation for us in signing players, it was the feeling that the players available weren't worth the price or weren't a good fit.

The question I would have is who from the Vikings org determines what a player is worth?
    Does Brad, Rick and crew just say, he's a guy we want go get him (as it appeared with Hutch).
    Or does Rob and gang come back and say it will cost us roughly $X to get this guy, leaving us with $X to spend.
    We have a budget of $X to spend on draft signees leaving us with $X to spend on FA and we want to leave a margin of $X for other needs that may come up.
    Just wondering how the signing cost of a player rolls into Brad and Rick when looking at trying to put the best team possible on the field.
    If I'm the coach,
    I would use whatever influence I have to bring in players that I think will have the best chances of improving my team (whether FA, draft, or anywhere else).
    And Brad may very well suggest we bring in a number of players that never make the team due to a myriad of other reasons.

Do you look at his position and decide okay he's the 7th best DE in the NFL, numbers 6 and 8 are making $5M and $4M a year respectively, so we should be able to get him for something in between that.
    However, Suggs boys come back and say most of the contracts were done 3-4 years ago and they are on the last few years of their contract.
    If you look at recent signings of DE's such as Kerney getting $40M over 6 years, he feels he should be getting closer to $6M a year.
    On top of that, some other team with a great weakness at DE comes in and offers him $6.2M.
    To a lot of people, if you bring him in at this price, it would be considered overpaying based on the rest of the DE's in the league and his perceived value.

If the team continues to operate significantly under the cap, it doesn't show me that the org is doing what they can to put the best team on the field thats possible.
    I am not looking to be impressed by how frugal this org runs, I want to know that they are doing everything they can do build a SuperBowl caliber team.

I think their plan from the beginning wsa BUILDING a superbowl calibur team.
    It has been said over and over by Childress and others they want to build through the draft and supplement through FA.
    That being said, they aren't going to use all their cap space.
    They will try and find good moraled team players to build with even if it means over paying someone a little without breaking the bank.

That is how NE started rising to the top.
    It takes a bit of time (hopefully not too long).
    The Vikings showed this year they can pretty much compete with any team out there.
    With better play from the QB they would have had a much better record than 8-8.
    This would tell me they are not far off from being a competitor especially with improved play at the QB position.

They now have a decent nucleous.
    Their defense has vastly improved but needs a good pass rushing DE.
    probably will have to replace Smith at Safety.
    The rest of the defense is pretty set if you ask me.

The offense has a good front line and if Cook matures it will be that much better.
    I like what I see in Herrera and we all know about Birk and the left side.
    McKinnie needs to work on being able to block against the quick DEs.
    There's a great RB tandum.
    The WRs are good but they still need that #1 guy.
    Now all that's left from there is improvement from TJ.
    We all know he has the skills but the question is will he be able to utilize them.
    That is the reason I wouldn't mind getting McNabb for a year or two so TJ has more time to develope.

"tastywaves" wrote:

If I'm the coach,

Now you are getting into my wheelhouse my friend.

I told Z in a PM that I need to do a thread on how some of this stuff works (at least the way I understand it) based on some books I have read, what I know of this organizations structure and what we have been told by them via the press and during news conferences.

The teams GM (in our case I believe that equates to Spielman, Studwell/Patton (Scouting staff), Coaching staff headed up by Childress) with support from Budget headed up by Bryzcheapski, Medical, PR etc etc will all have several meetings over the next few weeks to determine were they are with regard to talent, what they need and what is the best solution to that need (i.e. Vet/Draft/Continue to Develop what they have).

At some point, the Executive Staff headed by Spielman and supported by the HC and Scouting staff leads (Studwell/Patton) will brief thier plan of attack to the Ownership group who will either bless it or have them make small changes/approaches.

Depending on the Owners role in the decision making process he might even attend some of the pre-decision meetings if he wants.

You must remember that teams just don't target one guy for a position of need.
    The scouting department/front office type pukes will already know who is gonna be available, what teams are interested and how interested they will be.
    Based on that they will target a primary, secondary and probably a tertiary player to fit thier needs.

Based off of all those meetings team needs, players available and thier worth will be determined.

During some of those pre-decision meetings they will do thier homework and figure out a base of what a players worth will be using the following type of template/process....

Again, it is usually the GM who governs/decides the value of players based on the following criteria:

a.
    Talent (scouting staff gives talent evaluations)
    b.
    Age (Medical staff will have a play here)
    c.
    Number of players in the market that are of or equal to his talent level.
    d.
    Funds avail to all players in the market.
    e.
    Team needs. (Based on coaches end of year evaluations)

Take Randy Moss for instance.

a.
    He is by far the most talented WR in the FA market. (Value will go way up here)
    b.
    He is a bit old but still can show the wheels (value will go down a bit here).
    Won't be able to spread the contract out.
    c.
    There aren't many good FA vets in the market this year.
    d.
    There are alot of teams with lots of CAP to spend.
    e.
    Can the team get by with what they have, or can they get a guy in the draft, or are there other low level players out there cheaper.

Value of Randy Moss will be huge, much more than say the value of a Jackett.
    But when you look at a Hackett, you can get him at a lower price because.....

a.
    He is talented but not the best out there.
    b.
    His age won't be a factor.
    Can spread a contract out over several years.
    c.
    There are a few out there of his talent level.
    d.
    There will still be alot of teams out there via for his services.
    e.
    Team need remains the same.

Now you have to look at what are the teams needs.

Is WR the only position holding you from making it to the next level or do you need another piece/part.

In this case, lets assume a team that needs a WR also needs a DE.
    The front office guys will do pretty much the same thing running down the DE positions.

Based on what they have to spend the will probably elect to go with 2 lower level players that are within thier budget instead of going after just one.

Of course they could also take into account the draft propsects.
    If there was a great class of DE's in the upcoming draft with a guy who was a sure thing/instant impact guy then they could look to only going after the WR and drafting a DE.

Bottom line up front, the guy in charge of bringing in/satisfying the team needs is IMHO Rick Spielmen based on what I know of how they are structured.

Hope that helps.
    I know it rambles a bit, for that I apologize.
    It is a very interesting process if you ever want to dig into it.
    Send me a PM and will get you some titles of books I have read that might help.

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    [quote author=Zeus link=topic=41367.msg705777#msg705777 date=1200079307]

I don't!

=Z=

;D

[/quote]

[/quote]
    Rumor has it that if the QB coach was the one that coached him in college and the HC was his OC I would assume that you would be pretty correct in saying that however let me throw a twist on it for you.....

It isn't the same.

As with all coaches, if given the chance, they will want to put thier own twist on a system if they can.

Long story short, The Chillers scheme, although a WCO, is a bit different than any other WCO that I have seen/studied.

Still don't think we can see his passing scheme but anticipate it will be something that will attack zones (deep, intermediate, short) on a portion of the field (i.e. Left hash to sideline, 10 yards, 20 yards and deep) in a 3 WR set.

I think he could.
    Today I say no.

(Pray for Hackett).

[/quote]

Interesting view. I just don't think that any Vet WR is going to be the answer. We need someone that will bring fear to a defense. Do you think Hackett will keep defenses from stacking the box? I think that Moss, C. Johnson, and Fitz are part of the few that can install this fear.

"marstc09" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    [quote author=Marrdro link=topic=41367.msg705780#msg705780 date=1200079455]
    [quote author=Zeus link=topic=41367.msg705777#msg705777 date=1200079307]

I don't!

=Z=

;D

[/quote]

[/quote]

It isn't the same.

I think he could.
    Today I say no.

(Pray for Hackett).

[/quote]

Interesting view. I just don't think that any Vet WR is going to be the answer. We need someone that will bring fear to a defense. Do you think Hackett will keep defenses from stacking the box? I think that Moss, C. Johnson, and Fitz are part of the few that can install this fear.
    [/quote]
    I think Moss is the only one that strikes fear into a defense.
    ;D

Even with that said, he needs complimentary players around him or they can just play cover 2 or cover 3 and put pressure on a the QB to make him chuck the ball quicker.

Those complimentary players are:'
    a.
    A running game.
    b.
    A OL that can protect the QB long enough for the play to develop (deep route)
    c.
    A QB that can put the ball inside a 5 gal bucket 40 yards down the field.

Long story short, I believe a Hackett with B-wade, Rice, TJ, RB's (CT/AD) and our OL would allow for him to stretch the field/take some of the pressure off at a hell of alot cheaper a price than a Moss or a Fritz allowing for us to also pursue a VET DE as well.

Lets not forget, if the defense can't get the opposing offense off the field it really doesn't matter what kindof offense you have or the WR's that are on that offense.
    ;D

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

"ejmat" wrote:
    "tastywaves" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

One item of interest.

Jeeezzz Luizzzzeee

If I'm the coach,

I think their plan from the beginning wsa BUILDING a superbowl calibur team.
    It has been said over and over by Childress and others they want to build through the draft and supplement through FA.
    That being said, they aren't going to use all their cap space.
    They will try and find good moraled team players to build with even if it means over paying someone a little without breaking the bank.

That is how NE started rising to the top.
    It takes a bit of time (hopefully not too long).
    The Vikings showed this year they can pretty much compete with any team out there.
    With better play from the QB they would have had a much better record than 8-8.
    This would tell me they are not far off from being a competitor especially with improved play at the QB position.

They now have a decent nucleous.
    Their defense has vastly improved but needs a good pass rushing DE.
    probably will have to replace Smith at Safety.
    The rest of the defense is pretty set if you ask me.

The offense has a good front line and if Cook matures it will be that much better.
    I like what I see in Herrera and we all know about Birk and the left side.
    McKinnie needs to work on being able to block against the quick DEs.
    There's a great RB tandum.
    The WRs are good but they still need that #1 guy.
    Now all that's left from there is improvement from TJ.
    We all know he has the skills but the question is will he be able to utilize them.
    That is the reason I wouldn't mind getting McNabb for a year or two so TJ has more time to develope.
    I agree with a lot of your assessment of team needs, just trying to get a better feel of how players are really being valued and selected.
    McNabb for instance, if Childress really wants this guy and Spielman or Rob are concerned with the price it will take to get him, what thought process wins out.
    Due they need go for majority vote, due different people have a stronger say....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast