iluvbigtds is offline Rookie

Interesting Article on future coach/gm

WILF DOESN'T WAVER

Moving swiftly after a Pyhrric victory that could have created some local and/or national sentiment to give coach Mike Tice another chance, Vikings owner Zygi Wilf disrupted the celebration of a 34-10 win over the Bears' JV team with news that Tice's contract will not be renewed.

It was a brilliant move, in our view, from an owner who is committed to establishing a top-notch program that wins games and respect around the league. Tice was nothing more than a leftover from the prior regime, and he was hired by an owner who did everything on the cheap. Why permit false hope to be generated over the next 15 hours or so following a game that might have prompted a weaker man to say, "Hmmm . . . maybe this guy really isn't mildly retarded"?

Wilf surely plans to pour much more than the $1 million that Tice earned this season into the budget for the head coach's salary in 2006, and the reality is that Tice has done nothing to prove that he's worth the kind of money that Wilf plans to pay.

Hey, if Red McCombs were still the owner then we'd say sign the Meathead up for another three years at $1.2 million per. McCombs would've gotten his money's worth, and it's not like there would have been a bidding war for Tice's services.

But Wilf wants to take this thing to the next level. He can only do it with someone better than Tice.

It really is that simple. Wilf has the Vikings ready for something more than Tice can muster. Period. Or maybe we should say, "Exclamation point."

And the timing of the decision should be regarded as a clear message from Wilf to Vikings fans that things will indeed change. The bar is being raised. Right freakin' now.

Some guys, like V.P. Rob Brzezinski, are good enough to stay. Others, like Tice, aren't.

So what next for Wilf? Our guess is that he'll keep his cards stapled to his vest and his options wide open. With the search on for a new G.M.-level exec, we think that a final decision as to a coach shouldn't be made until after the G.M. gig is filled. If, for example, a Tom Heckert is added to the organization, he'll have his own list of candidates for the coaching job.

It also makes sense to keep an eye on Cleveland. With G.M. Phil Savage's status still up in the air, it's possible that Wilf will eventually hire Savage, who then would help bring Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz to Minnesota. The presence of Brzezinski would give the organization a formidable trio in the scouting, salary cap management, and coaching departments.

As to Tice, we're already hearing that he'll likely end up in Arizona with former boss Dennis Green. He also could land in Baltimore with former Vikings colleague Brian Billick.

There's a very remote chance that Tice will be in the mix for any of the various coaching vacancies. He might get a courtesy interview somewhere, but he'll be required to spend at least a year or two proving himself again at the assistant level before anyone will ever regard him as a serious candidate to get back to the top of the mountain.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

Webby is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Re: Interesting Article on future coach/gm

That's a different take, but being ruthless also doesn't equal integrity or anything else. You can't assign generalized values to actions yet. Wilf pulled one tonight, straight away.

i hate to say this and i feel so bad doing so, but after reading that article... i kind of understand-i feel like i just ripped my heart out because it hurts so bad to say it, i really really liked tice. wilf has plans, but i also second guess myself and think, why couldnt he have done it with tice??? he obviously was able to turn the season around but i dont know, this just sucks. Do you think if we were able to win the baltimore game and get into the playoffs things would be different, i really believe that if we were able to win that game and get into the playoffs he might have given him a chance.

however, no matter what i end up deciding good move or not, i think that the way he did it was b.s and really a depresser after a good game.
    Get Your Roll On!!!!!
    I hate the moldy cheeseheads!

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

I feel bad for the meathead too!! I want him back for something on the team!!

GreenBaySlackers is offline Star Spokesman

that article really helped me understand the situation a little better, and hopefully they're right, he wasn't just doing it to be an asshole, but to send a clear message. I don't want kirk ferentz though... but heckert would be sweet, maybe he could help us land childress?

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:
    Ragnar's assistant? :wink:

GreenBaySlackers is offline Star Spokesman

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:
    maybe he can work in the video booth :twisted:

then he can make sure the future coach sees all the replays he needs to...

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

"GreenBaySlackers" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:
    maybe he can work in the video booth :twisted:

then he can make sure the future coach sees all the replays he needs to...

HAHA! Not a bad idea.. He always seems to find ways to get us the ball back.. Knows the rules better then anyone!

eelpout72 is offline Starter

well, looks like we'll have another interesting offseason once again. New head coach, coordinators, GM. I feel bad for Tice but certainly think that this is the right direction. I think that Wilf will be willing to spend the $$$ on coaches so it should be interesting to see who we get.

sleepagent is offline Hall of Famer

"culpeppers_vikes" wrote:
    i hate to say this and i feel so bad doing so, but after reading that article... i kind of understand-i feel like i just ripped my heart out because it hurts so bad to say it, i really really liked tice. wilf has plans, but i also second guess myself and think, why couldnt he have done it with tice??? he obviously was able to turn the season around but i dont know, this just sucks. Do you think if we were able to win the baltimore game and get into the playoffs things would be different, i really believe that if we were able to win that game and get into the playoffs he might have given him a chance.

however, no matter what i end up deciding good move or not, i think that the way he did it was b.s and really a depresser after a good game.
    winning the Baltimore game would have been meaningless due to a Washington win today - they held the tiebreaker. We needed to win out starting with Pittsburgh. The mark of a Championship organization is to win the important games at the critical times. It's not about nice guys and stats.

According to an article at SI.com, Tice and ownership met after his press conference, and before the press release, to make it official. I would not be surprised that Tice strongly suspected that decision was coming . . . well ahead of time too.

In the world of big business, right or wrong, decisions are made quickly that appear to be very cold to those outside the "inner circle". Time will tell how this decision plays out.

"No Greater Friend . . . No Worse Enemy. U.S. MARINES"
    "FIND YOUR PASSION AND MAKE IT HAPPEN!"
    "SUCCESS LOOKS EASY TO THOSE THAT WEREN'T THERE WHEN IT WAS BEING ACHIEVED!"