Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Interceptions? Not this year

how are we not getting many picks?

we have a better overall defence. yet our star saftey and the rest apart from winfield havent picked anything.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"SamOchoCinco" wrote:
    how are we not getting many picks?

we have a better overall defence. yet our star saftey and the rest apart from winfield havent picked anything.
    ???

Antoine Winfield
    Madieu Williams
    Ben Leber
    Tyrell Johnson
    Charles Gordon
    Benny Sapp

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

It is very puzzling. Typically the added pressrue we have been able to acheive would result in hurried throws and thus more picks.

At the same time, we have not been pressing as much in an effort to take away the deep threat. Sure we don't have that many picks, but we also have not given up many big plays in the passing game.

Finally, a lot of picks happen when you're team is working with big leads and the other team is forced to throw aggressively. We have not been able to establish those kinds of leads often. When we have gotten big leads, we have the picks to show for it.

In any event, I think criticizing a D that has played as well as ours is a reach. We are a top 10 defense. The run D has stayed the course, and the pass D has gotten much better. We are 19th in points against, but that includes the excessive glut of ST and TO TDs, not to mention the bad positions that our ST and offense have put our defense in.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

thevikingfan is offline Hall of Famer

"Marrdro" wrote:
    Sacks and INT's.........Isn't there more to the game than those two stats?

: ;D
    Sure we have only 8 interceptions but let me say this.Our int have all come against good qb's peyton manning 2 int drew brees 2 int david garrardd 2 int sage rosenfells/matt schaub.
    Secondly even though we have few interception we make up for it byleading the nfl in forced fumbles,cedric griffin alone has 4 forced fumbles this season

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"thevikingfan" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Sacks and INT's.........Isn't there more to the game than those two stats?

: ;D
    Sure we have only 8 interceptions but let me say this.Our int have all come against good qb's peyton manning 2 int drew brees 2 int david garrardd 2 int sage rosenfells/matt schaub.
    Secondly even though we have few interception we make up for it byleading the nfl in forced fumbles,cedric griffin alone has 4 forced fumbles this season
    We make up for it in fumbles........sure, but at the end of the day we are still -2 in the giveaway/takeaway dept. That's only good enough for a 21st ranking in the league.

Sure it's nice to sit back & say we are 1st in forced fumbles & 2nd in fumble recoveries, but when you turn around & give it right back to your opponents more than you are taking it away, it's a moot point.

Only 6 teams have lost more fumbled balls than the Vikings.
    Only 6 teams have thrown more interceptions than the Vikings.
    Only 7 teams have gotten fewer interceptions than the Vikings.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    Through 10 games, the Vikings have six interceptions. That's 24th in the NFL, and consider this: The Packers have six interception returns for touchdowns.
    I have been preaching all year that we need to press more like Green Bay. We have the guys to play this type of pass D. Although it does not work against all teams. Green Bay needed to give up the press and play more like us vs the Saints.
    The Packers do have 17int's to our 8 but they also have 2 fumbles recovered compared to our 12. I think part of the reason we get more fumbles is because we keep the reciever in front and the defender gets a chance to see the ball and try to strip it more often than if they were playing man.
    I thought must of those fumbles where from our line and ST. I am going to look for that stat.
    I was right. Only 3 have come from passes. 4 from sacks. 2 from bad snaps. 2 from runs. 1 from STs.
    Look under "Defense & Fumbles"

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/min/2008.htm

Antoine Winfield
    Darren Sharper

Ben Leber
    Pat Williams
    E.J. Henderson
    Tyrell Johnson
    Napoleon Harris
    Vinny Ciurciu
    4 INTs from the secondary is not very good. I was expecting more with the addition of Allen. I think it might have a lot to do with the cover 2 but I am no expert. Like I said before I really would like to press and think Cedric and Antoine are perfect for it. All 17 of Green Bays INTs have come from their secondary and their DL is not as good as ours. In addition, Green Bay has 14 fumble recoveries.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"marstc09" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    [quote author=marstc09 link=topic=49237.msg870023#msg870023 date=1227735966]
    Through 10 games, the Vikings have six interceptions. That's 24th in the NFL, and consider this: The Packers have six interception returns for touchdowns.
    I have been preaching all year that we need to press more like Green Bay. We have the guys to play this type of pass D. Although it does not work against all teams. Green Bay needed to give up the press and play more like us vs the Saints.
    The Packers do have 17int's to our 8 but they also have 2 fumbles recovered compared to our 12. I think part of the reason we get more fumbles is because we keep the reciever in front and the defender gets a chance to see the ball and try to strip it more often than if they were playing man.
    I thought must of those fumbles where from our line and ST. I am going to look for that stat.
    I was right. Only 3 have come from passes. 4 from sacks. 2 from bad snaps. 2 from runs. 1 from STs.
    Look under "Defense & Fumbles"

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/min/2008.htm

Antoine Winfield
    Darren Sharper

Ben Leber
    Pat Williams
    E.J. Henderson
    Tyrell Johnson
    Napoleon Harris
    Vinny Ciurciu
    4 INTs from the secondary is not very good. I was expecting more with the addition of Allen. I think it might have a lot to do with the cover 2 but I am no expert. Like I said before I really would like to press and think Cedric and Antoine are perfect for it. All 17 of Green Bays INTs have come from their secondary and their DL is not as good as ours. In addition, Green Bay has 14 fumble recoveries.
    [/quote]
    The offense has alot to do with it as well.

Last week our DL really didn't do much until the lead got big enough to were the opposing offense had to pass in an effort to catch up.

Then and only then did our D "Pin thier ears back" and pressure the QB the way I believe this defense should do throughout the game.

Long story short, even though I think our defense hasn't been as good as the stats and most of you think, our offense should bare some of the burden as well.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123