marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

Inconsistent Vikings trying to fulfill promise

By Michael Silver, Yahoo! Sports

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Ao2KkZi.ceL8hVyne7UjIF45nYcB?slug=ms-morningrush110308&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

“First 15” script to Frerotte, and the 37-year-old quarterback smiled like a kid getting a big handful of Jolly Ranchers in his orange plastic pumpkin. For the first snap, Minnesota coach Brad Childress had chosen “Double Stutter Go,” the very play Frerotte had requested.
    Is Childress waking up?

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: Inconsistent Vikings trying to fulfill promise

"marstc09" wrote:
    By Michael Silver, Yahoo! Sports

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Ao2KkZi.ceL8hVyne7UjIF45nYcB?slug=ms-morningrush110308&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

“First 15” script to Frerotte, and the 37-year-old quarterback smiled like a kid getting a big handful of Jolly Ranchers in his orange plastic pumpkin. For the first snap, Minnesota coach Brad Childress had chosen “Double Stutter Go,” the very play Frerotte had requested.
    Is Childress waking up?
    Sounds more like he's listening more to his players rather than doing things *cough* "his way"

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

nephilimstorm is offline Star Spokesman

I wish Chilly would do things by feel and not by program (geesh) LOL..I am not calling for head...but I am glad things are more OPENED up now...Especially running lanes for AD in the fourth quarter LOL

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"singersp" wrote:
    Sounds more like he's listening more to his players rather than doing things *cough* "his way"
    Ya, pretty soon we won't even need a HC or a coaching staff what with all the input the players have.
    ;D
    ;D
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    Ya, pretty soon we won't even need a HC or a coaching staff what with all the input the players have.
    ;D
    ;D
    ;D
    There is nothing wrong with players input. They sometimes have a lot better insight on the game & what they see more so what a coach sees from his POV standing on the sidelines.

Have you ever sat near midfield in one of the lowest rows? A lot is lost in depth perception especially when they are down at one end of the field.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

"singersp" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    ;D
    ;D
    ;D
    There is nothing wrong with players input. They sometimes have a lot better insight on the game & what they see more so what a coach sees from his POV standing on the sidelines.

Have you ever sat near midfield in one of the lowest rows? A lot is lost in depth perception especially when they are down at one end of the field.
    I didn't say there was anything wrong with players input.
    Heck, I have often talked about what happens on the sidelines as the players and coaches go over what is going on.
    That along with the pics that come down alleviate any loss of depth during each series.

My point is more along the lines of what you seemed to be aluding to with your post.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

Winning cures everything. Fortunately for Childress, and I have no clue why he didn't notice this earlier, but he's finally found a quarterback that can sufficiently make the throws in the offense. Why we wasted 3 years with Brad Johnson, Tarvaris Jackson, Kelly Holcomb, and Brooks Bollinger is beyond me.

"PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:
    Winning cures everything. Fortunately for Childress, and I have no clue why he didn't notice this earlier, but he's finally found a quarterback that can sufficiently make the throws in the offense. Why we wasted 3 years with Brad Johnson, Tarvaris Jackson, Kelly Holcomb, and Brooks Bollinger is beyond me.
    Can the passing attack be only attributed to the QB?

I see the following as the main reasons the passing game is better:

a.
    A WR that can catch the ball deep.
    b.
    A QB that can read a Defense and isn't worried about trying to stick the ball in when coverage is there at times.
    c.
    A solid core of WR's that exploit the whole field.

but mostly, I attribute the increased passing attack to....

Better OL play.
    Although it isn't great, it is good enough right now to allow for those plays to develop to the point were I saw Gus get to his 4th option 3 times yesterday.

Again, give the QB time (regardless of his prowess) and he will find someone that is open.

BleedinPandG is offline Coach

"PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:
    Gus is tettering on the edge of "sufficiently" making throws... the long throw to Berrian was well under thrown.
    While an under throw is generally better than an over throw, it was far from on the money.
    A better pass would have been a TD instead of a great play by Berrian in the air.

The TD that Berrian did catch was a nice jumping catch by him.

The INT off of Berrian was behind him, hit him in the back shoulder.
    Do receivers make that play?
    Sure, some of the time but we crucified TJ for making the same throw in the same place.
    He had a 2nd throw just like that later in the game that was almost picked off.

He way over threw Berrian?? on another deep out where the WR was wide open.

Honestly, I don't see Gus having any better accuracy then TJ did.
    Is his decision making better?
    I don't know.
    The only thing I can say for Gus is he's been more aggressive than TJ was.
    TJ admitted he was playing not to lose which was a big problem.
    The true measure of a man is what he'd do knowing he'd never be found out.