Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: The Importance of Gus Frerotte

"snowinapril" wrote:
    "mountainviking" wrote:
    http://min.scout.com/2/764084.html

Interesting...breaks down all the teams with multiple starting QBs and how many of them even got to the playoffs.

As ridiculous as it may seem, Frerotte could be as important to the success of the Vikings as any player on the roster. Last year, teams like the Vikings learned the hard way that backup quarterbacks need to be ready and able to take the torch and run with it. The Vikings had four games in which their backup quarterbacks had to start. They were 0-4 in those games.

Of the nine teams that used three or more starting QBs (the Panthers had four), none of them made the playoffs.
    D'oh!!

Most don't think so highly of Gus, but I think he can drive the bus!!!
    With this team around him, he can be a winner.
    If TJack gets hurt or falters, I like Gus' chances way better than Bollinger and Holcomb.
    I hear you.
    He played last year with a beat up team and he still was able to get the bus away from the curb and pick up a few kids for school.

He is a seasoned vet.
    He has seen a lot of football and he is poised in the pocket.

He might prove to be the best QB on the team and he is definitely better than what we had last year.
    The whole Holcomb thing just pissed me off.......

I will still never understand why the FO waited so damn long and then finally knuckled under and got the guy after almost all the OTA's, mini-camps and pre-season stuff was over.

Just doesn't cut it with me.
    Everyone new how raw TJ was gonna be last year and that almost every rep taken with the starters (and most backkups) were gonna go to the kid with very little chance of Holcomb ever getting comfortable with the system (if he could've at all) at the time we brought him in.

By he way, any of you yutz's out there that argued with me about the 2nd most important spot on the roster being something other than the Backup QB?
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "snowinapril" wrote:
    "mountainviking" wrote:

Interesting...breaks down all the teams with multiple starting QBs and how many of them even got to the playoffs.

As ridiculous as it may seem, Frerotte could be as important to the success of the Vikings as any player on the roster. Last year, teams like the Vikings learned the hard way that backup quarterbacks need to be ready and able to take the torch and run with it. The Vikings had four games in which their backup quarterbacks had to start. They were 0-4 in those games.

Of the nine teams that used three or more starting QBs (the Panthers had four), none of them made the playoffs.
    D'oh!!

If TJack gets hurt or falters, I like Gus' chances way better than Bollinger and Holcomb.
    I hear you.
    He played last year with a beat up team and he still was able to get the bus away from the curb and pick up a few kids for school.

He is a seasoned vet.

He might prove to be the best QB on the team and he is definitely better than what we had last year.

I will still never understand why the FO waited so gol 'darnit long and then finally knuckled under and got the guy after almost all the OTA's, mini-camps and pre-season stuff was over.

Everyone new how raw TJ was gonna be last year and that almost every rep taken with the starters (and most backkups) were gonna go to the kid with very little chance of Holcomb ever getting comfortable with the system (if he could've at all) at the time we brought him in.

By he way, any of you yutz's out there that argued with me about the 2nd most important spot on the roster being something other than the Backup QB?
    ;D
    Maybe they thought that BB was going to pick it up and run with it.
    They probably found out that he was also further behind.
    But yes, we should have had someone better in place.
    I think it was the kid gloves thing again with TJ.
    The didn't want him to feel like they were going to not give him a chance.
    Bad decisions behind us now.

"snowinapril" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "snowinapril" wrote:
    "mountainviking" wrote:

D'oh!!

I hear you.

He is a seasoned vet.

I will still never understand why the FO waited so gol 'darnit long and then finally knuckled under and got the guy after almost all the OTA's, mini-camps and pre-season stuff was over.

;D
    Maybe they thought that BB was going to pick it up and run with it.
    They probably found out that he was also further behind.
    But yes, we should have had someone better in place.
    I think it was the kid gloves thing again with TJ.
    The didn't want him to feel like they were going to not give him a chance.
    Bad decisions behind us now.
    Could be, however, when someone needed to step in, who got the first crack, BB or Holcomb.

I am glad that all those bad decisions, seem to be behind us.
    Our approach to fixing the QB situation is one of those things that just pisses me off though when it comes to the Chiller and the FO starting with Pep, Cutler/Clemens/TJ, BJ extension (or lack thereof) etc etc.

My guess is if we had a real GM instead of this Tri-ad thing we might be a bit further along than we are now (which isn't to bad right now all things considering.....).

The pain of it all will make this year that much more glorious for us that have kept the faith "so-to-speak".
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    Hopefully Gus will be a good backup for us in this offense. If we were running the old offense I would have total confidence in him based on his past success, but you always have to reserve opinion in regards to how he will do in the KAO until he actually plays within it.
    I wondered how long it would be for someone to make that point. I feel Gus will be a much better option than what we had. But how well he performs in this system is a huge question. In reality, no quarterback has performed very well in this system, yet!
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"jargomcfargo" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    Hopefully Gus will be a good backup for us in this offense. If we were running the old offense I would have total confidence in him based on his past success, but you always have to reserve opinion in regards to how he will do in the KAO until he actually plays within it.
    I wondered how long it would be for someone to make that point. I feel Gus will be a much better option than what we had. But how well he performs in this system is a huge question. In reality, no quarterback has performed very well in this system, yet!
    Yeah, I was very careful in how I worded it but you are right, so far nobody has solved Chilly's (Rubiks) cube ;D

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "jargomcfargo" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    Yeah, I was very careful in how I worded it but you are right, so far nobody has solved Chilly's (Rubiks) cube ;D
    I often sit back and wonder about that and ask myself, is it really that complex or how complex can it be especially when one takes into account how McNabb did in it..... :

It will be fun to watch TJ this year after learning it one year, starting the next and what the coaches can do with some gametape to go over things with him.

Additionally, I think it will be fun to watch and see how Booty fits into the scheme of things next year.
    My guess is we still might have to have some Vet leadership at the backup spot as he gets comfortable as well.

Judging by what alot of you say about the kid I might be wrong, but won't that be nice considering how QB's seem to struggle with the scheme.

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

Gus is a big pick up.
    He is a vet that has seem a lot of football.
    He knows how to read defenses.
    If he gets proper protection he can still pick a team apart.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "jargomcfargo" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    I often sit back and wonder about that and ask myself, is it really that complex or how complex can it be especially when one takes into account how McNabb did in it..... :

It will be fun to watch TJ this year after learning it one year, starting the next and what the coaches can do with some gametape to go over things with him.

Additionally, I think it will be fun to watch and see how Booty fits into the scheme of things next year.
    My guess is we still might have to have some Vet leadership at the backup spot as he gets comfortable as well.

Judging by what alot of you say about the kid I might be wrong, but won't that be nice considering how QB's seem to struggle with the scheme.
    You know my stance. I don't think it is that complicated and my opinion is that we will be successful in the offense when we get consistently good play from the OL in the passing game. Originally my hope was that we would see that happen at about game 6 of the 2006 season and looking back at your posts from the same time (
    ;D

)
    it looks like you were right there with me. Hopefully this is that year and the offense will start to click and at that point there will be 3 QB's on our roster that will be able to lead us to victory. If that doesn't happen there isn't one QB on our team that can do it by themselves.

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "jargomcfargo" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:

You know my stance. I don't think it is that complicated and my opinion is that we will be successful in the offense when we get consistently good play from the OL in the passing game. Originally my hope was that we would see that happen at about game 6 of the 2006 season and looking back at your posts from the same time (

;D

)
    it looks like you were right there with me. Hopefully this is that year and the offense will start to click and at that point there will be 3 QB's on our roster that will be able to lead us to victory. If that doesn't happen there isn't one QB on our team that can do it by themselves.
    I do put a good share of the blame on the OL (especially Birk) but the QB bears some of that burden as well.

I really believe that TJ (after countless hours of film study with Coach Rodgers) will kindof help them out a bit by getting through his reads faster.

Gonna be a fun one to watch my friend.
    Here is another one you can throw back in my face if it doesn't come true......

TJ's skills will be improved enough that he will be able to stand at the line (with 2 plays in mind) and audible to the one (pass or run) that best takes advantage of the defense which will drive D-cords nuts as we dink and dunk/run on thier asses at will....... ;D

VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "jargomcfargo" wrote:
    [quote author=UffDaVikes link=topic=45841.msg794794#msg794794 date=1214180286]

;D

)
    I do put a good share of the blame on the OL (especially Birk) but the QB bears some of that burden as well.

I really believe that TJ (after countless hours of film study with Coach Rodgers) will kindof help them out a bit by getting through his reads faster.

Gonna be a fun one to watch my friend.
    Here is another one you can throw back in my face if it doesn't come true......

TJ's skills will be improved enough that he will be able to stand at the line (with 2 plays in mind) and audible to the one (pass or run) that best takes advantage of the defense which will drive D-cords nuts as we dink and dunk/run on thier asses at will....... ;D
    [/quote]

That is an awesome thought...if he gets to that point by the early part of the season, watch out...
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Come from the land of the ice and snow...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast