Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    purplepat is offline Hall of Famer

I'm mad as hell about the Moss trade, who's with me?

Please let me rant on for a bit, feel free to commiserate with me or offer your rebuttal.

I can't comment on what effect Randy had in the locker room or on the rest of the team, either positively or negatively. I'm not there, I don't know how every member of the team feels. I do know what he produced when he was on the field. Moss is a once-in-a-lifetime talent for any given team. He is a sure-fire first ballot Hall of Fame player. He was the most exciting player to watch in the NFL (OK, maybe tied with Vick), but he played for OUR team. He made the running and passing game more effective because he drew at least two defenders on any play where he was on the field. Defensive coordinators had to devote time and energy trying to come up with ways to contain him, and he STILL put up 30 TDs in basically the last season and a half. He is not in decline; on the contrary, he is in his prime, happy to be in Minnesota, and under contract for the next four years. He was the main reason the national media pays any attention to the Vikings.

As much as I love Moss the player, and what I think he means to the Vikings, he was not untradable. But when I look at the apparent pittance that the Vikings got for him, I have to scream WHY???. LB Napoleon Harris is, by most accounts I have read, not much better (if at all) than the LBs we already have. Oakland fans/sources have called him "a bust", "a disappointment", "hasn't lived up to his potential". The rumored 7th round draft pick might as well have just been another undrafted free agent; the chances of this guy making the Vikings team are extremely slim. Then we are left with the #7 pick in a draft that is acknowledged to be one of the weakest ones in recent memory. Yes, we MAY get an impact player...then again, we may end up with a Ryan Sims (DT for KC who Vikes wanted to draft instead of McKinnie, but Chiefs beat us to him), a Demetrius Underwood, a Chris Hovan, a Derrick Alexander (DE or WR, it doesn't matter). The point is, the Vikings HAD AN IMPACT PLAYER IN MOSS. Now they have a draft pick who may or may not be any good, a LB that appears to be average at best, a worthless 7th round pick, AND a gaping hole at one WR spot!!! If the Vikings could have even gotten one proven Pro Bowl caliber defensive player and a 1st/2nd round pick for Moss, they would be a heck of a lot better off than they appear to be right now. As I said on another board, not only did the Vikings get raped in this deal, they bent over and begged for it.

Now, IF the Vikings become major players in free agency come March 2nd, and add some top-notch defensive players and a top-notch WR with all that cap money they are sitting on, I will at least be convinced that the Moss trade was not some penny-pinching move by Red to maximize his profit and stick it to Viking fans one last time because the Minnesota legislature wouldn't pay for a new stadium for his whiny billionaire @ss. If, instead, the Vikings sit on the sidelines or try to patch the holes with second-rate players (remember D'wayne Bates, Ronnie Bradford, Derrick Alexander (WR), Chuck Wiley, Billy Lyon, Henri Crockett, need I go on?), I am seriously considering turning in my season tickets before the next payment is due on April 1st. They raised ticket prices again this year, for the 4th straight year if I recall. Now they will realize an actual savings of about $7 million by paying Harris $500,000 this year instead of $7.5 million to Moss, though who knows what kind of signing bonus that #7 pick will get. My point is that the Vikings better spend that money they saved on getting some talent to upgrade the defense and replace Moss. Moss is not the reason this team has underachieved for the last four seasons, it's because the defense sucks. They still suck, and now we no longer have Randy Moss. Trading Moss for an average player and a bag of magic beans (the #7 pick) was like sticking a knife in the heart of many Vikings fans. Viking fans deserve better than this, and it's time for Vikings management to prove that they are willing to do what it takes (including spending some of their own billionaire-@ss money on quality players) to make this team a champion.
    SKOL VIKINGS!

TheAnimal93 is offline Team Alumni

its a lonely road, but i am with ya!!!!!

DemonicViking is offline Ring of Fame

I'm recovering over the trade, slowly but surely.

so-cal vike is offline Team Alumni

The trade was right, the deal was wrong.

"The Vikings will never win a SB."-Randy Moss

randy--moss is offline Rookie

I will be only happy about it if we get woodson included and give up bennet, if that rumor comes true, then moss can go, because WE really need a cornerback too..But i will forever miss #84
    [img:fed39c00ce]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y28/randymosss/sig1.jpg[/img:fed39c00ce]

SHOW-TIME is offline Pro-Bowler

"so-cal vike" wrote:
    The trade was right, the deal was wrong.

"The Vikings will never win a SB."-Randy Moss

yes that's very true sportscenter was showing highlights of interviews with randy moss this morning and he said that after the 2000 nfc championship loss so come on guys we can do it without randy
    so yeah eatingpieinbed some friends of mine http://www.purevolume.com/eatingpieinbed

RUSSELL27 is offline Rookie

Lets just wait and see how we handle the offseason and FA, then we can accept or critisize the move.

IAVIKEGAL is offline Rookie

I'm mad as hell too!! I know he had problems, but nobody will be as much fun to watch - he's the best by far.

DemonicViking is offline Ring of Fame

I'm not gonna take it.. no.. I'm not gonna take it.. I'm not gonna take it anyyymmmoorrreee.

Ah geez, that song's gonna be encrusted in my brain for the rest of the night now :x

mvikes84 is offline Starter

Re: I'm mad as hell about the Moss trade, who's with me?

"purplepat" wrote:
    Please let me rant on for a bit, feel free to commiserate with me or offer your rebuttal.

I can't comment on what effect Randy had in the locker room or on the rest of the team, either positively or negatively. I'm not there, I don't know how every member of the team feels. I do know what he produced when he was on the field. Moss is a once-in-a-lifetime talent for any given team. He is a sure-fire first ballot Hall of Fame player. He was the most exciting player to watch in the NFL (OK, maybe tied with Vick), but he played for OUR team. He made the running and passing game more effective because he drew at least two defenders on any play where he was on the field. Defensive coordinators had to devote time and energy trying to come up with ways to contain him, and he STILL put up 30 TDs in basically the last season and a half. He is not in decline; on the contrary, he is in his prime, happy to be in Minnesota, and under contract for the next four years. He was the main reason the national media pays any attention to the Vikings.

As much as I love Moss the player, and what I think he means to the Vikings, he was not untradable. But when I look at the apparent pittance that the Vikings got for him, I have to scream WHY???. LB Napoleon Harris is, by most accounts I have read, not much better (if at all) than the LBs we already have. Oakland fans/sources have called him "a bust", "a disappointment", "hasn't lived up to his potential". The rumored 7th round draft pick might as well have just been another undrafted free agent; the chances of this guy making the Vikings team are extremely slim. Then we are left with the #7 pick in a draft that is acknowledged to be one of the weakest ones in recent memory. Yes, we MAY get an impact player...then again, we may end up with a Ryan Sims (DT for KC who Vikes wanted to draft instead of McKinnie, but Chiefs beat us to him), a Demetrius Underwood, a Chris Hovan, a Derrick Alexander (DE or WR, it doesn't matter). The point is, the Vikings HAD AN IMPACT PLAYER IN MOSS. Now they have a draft pick who may or may not be any good, a LB that appears to be average at best, a worthless 7th round pick, AND a gaping hole at one WR spot!!! If the Vikings could have even gotten one proven Pro Bowl caliber defensive player and a 1st/2nd round pick for Moss, they would be a heck of a lot better off than they appear to be right now. As I said on another board, not only did the Vikings get raped in this deal, they bent over and begged for it.

Now, IF the Vikings become major players in free agency come March 2nd, and add some top-notch defensive players and a top-notch WR with all that cap money they are sitting on, I will at least be convinced that the Moss trade was not some penny-pinching move by Red to maximize his profit and stick it to Viking fans one last time because the Minnesota legislature wouldn't pay for a new stadium for his whiny billionaire @ss. If, instead, the Vikings sit on the sidelines or try to patch the holes with second-rate players (remember D'wayne Bates, Ronnie Bradford, Derrick Alexander (WR), Chuck Wiley, Billy Lyon, Henri Crockett, need I go on?), I am seriously considering turning in my season tickets before the next payment is due on April 1st. They raised ticket prices again this year, for the 4th straight year if I recall. Now they will realize an actual savings of about $7 million by paying Harris $500,000 this year instead of $7.5 million to Moss, though who knows what kind of signing bonus that #7 pick will get. My point is that the Vikings better spend that money they saved on getting some talent to upgrade the defense and replace Moss. Moss is not the reason this team has underachieved for the last four seasons, it's because the defense sucks. They still suck, and now we no longer have Randy Moss. Trading Moss for an average player and a bag of magic beans (the #7 pick) was like sticking a knife in the heart of many Vikings fans. Viking fans deserve better than this, and it's time for Vikings management to prove that they are willing to do what it takes (including spending some of their own billionaire-@ss money on quality players) to make this team a champion.
    Your right about the defense being the reason we never made it to the SB, not Moss. Moss is the reason our offense has been so great these last few years. Now not only does our defense suck, but the offense isn't going to scare anyone either. This is a nightmare!!!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast