Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Re: im a frustrated vikings fan

The original post was written very well.

But.........

Even though the seasons have been disappointing, there has been a lot of entertainment.
    There was a thread in the Fan Forum that was titled "Childress has soft side" or something similar,
    It explained how last year, he took the whole transition year to be the disciplinarian.
    This year is a different story.
    Last year he made it known he was the pack leader, this year he has the group knowing how long the leash really is

I am pumped for this season to start.
    I want to see AP make a name for himself.
    This could be he start of the AP era.
    That is exciting!

Jackson, AP and Rice.
    That is a young group with potential.
    Rice would be the most questionable.

Point is, there is hope for us yet and frustration is part of being a fan.
    It is just the increments of both that vary.
    That "one year" spoiled the hell out of us.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"NDVikingFan66" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    BLV is also a frustrated Vikings fan...but for a different reason!
    LOL
    Not gonna lie....that makes 2 frustrated viking fans than......

You may need to do what BLV does then.........

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

vikingivan is offline Star Spokesman

sirweeze, you should consider yourself lucky that you have only been a frustrated Viking fan since 1998.
    Many of us have been frustrated since the 70's.
    The good ole days.
    When we expected to be in the Super Bowl every year.
    I was to young to be frustrated after the first SB loss to the Chiefs, but not the other 3.
    Add in the playoff loss to the Cowboys in 75 and we had a decade of frustration.

If you think Childress is a terrible coach you should have been around to Witness the Les Steckel season.
    Talk about frustration, the great Bud Grant retires and is replaced by Steckel.
    I know that watching the Vikes last year was more painful than passing a kidney stone, but it was not as bad as the 1984 season when we finished 3-13.

Maybe I should expect to lose every week.
    Just sit back, knock down a few GB Premiums and think we are going to lose.
    Then there would be no frustration.
    Act like the fans in Major League.
    But, I expect us to win every week, only to be frustrated after each loss.
    I cannot change that.
    I grew up with that belief and still hold it.
    Cheer up, our future looks bright.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Ahhhhhhhhh, another one crawls out of the depths........

Taking a mobile, strong-armed QB and cramming him into a West Coast Offense scheme

Doe it mean that Walsh crammed Young into the WCO?
    gol 'darnit dude.

Taking a massive, steamrolling O-Line and asking them to execute zone blocking schemes best suited for smaller, mobile linemen.

OL size isn't what is important when it comes to whether they can execute a ZB scheme.
    It is important that they are fast and athletic.

I did a thread on this.
    Our guys, even though they are a bit bigger than most want in a ZB scheme are actually pretty fast and athletic.
    By the way, I used the three cone shuttle times for the Denver Bronco's OL as a gauge.
    Just because they are big doesn't mean they are slow my friedn.

Prioritizing proving what a football genius he is over winning actual football games.

What?
    This isn't your local pony football league.
    This is the NFL.
    He is more concerned about winning than anything else my friend.

We went 6-10 last year.
    Of those 10 losses, if memory servers, 6 of those were by a TD or less.

I recommend that you should be sure that you don't pull crap out of your jiggly butt when posting on here my friend.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

sirweeze is offline Starter

To those of you who actually read what I wrote, thanks very much for taking the time, and thanks for your feedback, I really appreciate it.

A couple things for the record:
    I've actually been a fan since the Tommy Kramer era (I'm 25), but 1996-1999 was the 'peak' of my fandom, I guess you could say.

And, I do have SOME hope this year (they do play in the NFC North) and I'm pretty excited about AD.
    I just needed an outlet to articulate how I felt... it feels *wrong* to me to be completely apathetic about the Vikings, and I hope they change that this year.

sirweeze is offline Starter

And also, it's not necessarily losing I'm frustrated with, it's the fact that I can't bring myself to give a crap these days, so I had to write about why and how I came to this, to see if maybe there's anyone else that felt similar.
    Losing is unavoidable (duh), but not giving a crap either way, especially when I've been a fan my entire life?
    That's frustrating as hell.

vikingivan is offline Star Spokesman

"sirweeze" wrote:
    And also, it's not necessarily losing I'm frustrated with, it's the fact that I can't bring myself to give a crap these days, so I had to write about why and how I came to this, to see if maybe there's anyone else that felt similar.
    Losing is unavoidable (duh), but not giving a crap either way, especially when I've been a fan my entire life?
    sirweeze, I understand where you are coming from.
    You have grown accustomed to losing, so the losses don't bother you any longer.
    That can only be changed with the Vikings winning on a regular basis.
    When they win week after week soon you will expect them to win.
    Then, when you expect them to win you will be disappointed after a loss.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"sirweeze" wrote:
    I'm 46.
    I have been following this team my whole life.
    Suffice it to say, this is the most excited I've been over this team in alot of years.

Granted, they are young and unproven.
    Heck I have to have a mag with the roster/numbers in front of me so I can figure out who the heck just made a play.
    But gol 'darnit, the potential this young crew has.

Look at it this way, what we were doing for about the last 10 years didn't get us anything but heartache.
    Time to clean house and start over.
    Out with the old, in with the new.

TJ.
    Raw and inexperienced but has a huge amount of upside.
    Can (will) make plays with his arm and legs.
    Mobility will keep plays alive while WR's get open.

CT/AD/T-Rich/Dugan/Memo.
    Very formable stable of backs.
    Huge upside in flexibility (i.e. pound the rock/pass) with what the staff can do with this combo.
    Very tough to game plan against.

WR corp.
    These guys aren't gonna bring back the Randy ratio and make the "Chuck it Deep" croud happy, but if you understand what the WR role is in the WCO they actually fit the scheme pretty good.
    Wade is a great slot guy, gets off the line clean, runs precise routes and should get great YAC.
    This is huge as the WCO is predicated on a 3-5 step drop passing game.
    T-will gives you a deep threat (hope he can catch this year) and the other guys give us some big bodies that will fit nicely going over the middle, shielding the ball from the defenders.
    Add Shank (again good upside) into the mix of blocking for the running game as well as stretching the field (up the seam) should open it up a bit more for the backs coming out of the backfield than we saw last year.

OL.
    Sure thier big, but they are also fast.
    Having one year already under thier belt we should see vast improvement here.
    Hell, just by limiting thier presnap penalties we should be able to add at least one win thier.
    Additionally, they did block well enough for CT to get over 1200 yards last year even though he was down/out for a few games.
    I also believe because they played together last year and are more comfortable in the new scheme they should give TJ more time than BJ had last year. Throw in thier ability to get out in space and TJ's mobility then D-coords will have a hard time colapsing a pocket that is on the move.

DL.
    Roy Edwards, Robison, Erasmus, Eudeze back at his natural position.
    Some additional depth at DT to give the Williams boys a breather.
    gol 'darnit, this is gonna be a good line.
    Add in a new blitzing scheme by the D-coord and we should see a huge improvement on QB pressure resulting in more INT's and maybe some more points by the D (much like we are already seeing in pre-season).

LB's.
    Greenway alone makes this crew better.
    EJ appear to be comfortable in the middle, Leber is very steady.
    Little concerned over depth here (as with the OL depth) but these guys can play.

DB's.
    Again, very exciting group.
    Lots of vets ad CB and S make us very deep.

Griff looked to have a bit of a struggle last pre-season game but everyone has a bad day and gave up yards but tightened up when it counted.
    He will do fine this year. Throw in a very exciting you rookie in McCauley and we have something special going on back there.
    Add the factor of additional pressure from the front 4 and you will see picks like we did against the Jets.

Again, they are young and no one knows half thier names, but the draft class from last year contributed last year, will be a bigger factor this year.
    This years draft class will contribute as well, all the while getting experience they need for the future.
    Throw in some very smart pickups in the FA area, resigning some of the better leftovers from the Tice era and you have a very good looking team.

Rest assured, we will win some we are supposed to loose this year, right along with we will loose some that we should win.
    This staff will have the team ready to play (i.e. the 52 yard field goal with seconds left and no timeouts against the Jets shows great coaching).

Bottom line up front, what is not to get excited about.
    Strap it on my friend, the future is nearer than some think.

;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

"sirweeze" wrote:
    ... it feels *wrong* to me to be completely apathetic about the Vikings, and I hope they change that this year.
    You could probably make some money consulting, by helping out the fans that can't be apathetic that want to be.
    Teach them the secret.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I'm still pissed they let Alan Page go to Chicago. The Bastards!
    When will it ever end?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast