Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

Re: I'm a bit concerned.

"UMDTwinsfan" wrote:
    I'll put us at 14th for offense and 10th for defense
    which should be enough to atleast get us into the playoffs via the north title
    Exactly.

MensaTice is offline Star Spokesman

I think our offense will rank very low in points scored but near the top of the league for time of possession. Very few turnovers while we pound the heck out of the defense. It is very different form what we became used to but it may prove to be as effective as long as the defense is as good as people at camp are making it sound. We have some playmakers on offense, so there will be flashes from the past, but mainly it will be about ball control.

[color=red]

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

The only thing that worries me about our offense is Brad Johnson, but he's a veteran, and has won a super bowl, I know he's old so he won't be a part of our offense for much longer, but I don't know.

I don't know what Im talking about right now.

I dont know, we'll be fine.

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

Here's how I see our offense working. Ball control, running up the gut, and short WCO passes IE slants and curls. As Mensa noted, this will keep our TOP up and let our D rest and be at its best all the while keeping the opposing defense on its heels. This is how teams succeed.

Bdubya is offline Star Spokesman

Yeah, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Our offense will be just fine. At least we aren't hearing that the offense is shredding the defense in practice...then I would be a little worried.
    MC's run away when I kick it
    They act so chicken, they should come with a large drink and a biscuit
    -Canibus

Slade is offline Star Spokesman

Imagine the Eagles from 2 years ago (minus TO). It will be the same style. Running plays, alot of screens to the RB's & playactions. Its going to be very time consuming & we will move the chains in chunks. Occasionally throwing the home run ball, but nothing like we saw in the past. Our offense has to be precise & all of the players have to be on the same page. I expect great things this year, as long as everyone stays healthy.

Another good thing is that our gameplan is relatively unknown to the other teams in the league. This is a different Vikings team & it will be interesting to see how other teams prepare for us. They will not be sure as to what we will throw at them.

My biggest concern is to see how Coach Childress adjusts to the flow of the game. Will he stick to the gameplan no matter what? Or will he constantly find new things to try.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"PurpleOgre" wrote:
    NodakPaul...no offense intended....but I feel that with some obvious exceptions (ravens, bucs), I would say that a team with a dominant offense has had a better record in the big game than those with a dominant defense.
    lol. no offense taken. :lol:

Lets look at the past few seasons and see what holds up. I know offense and defense rankings vary slightly from site to site, so here are the ones I used:
    http://www.coachescorner.com/n_input/nnweb/scores/header_nfl_off_rank.htm
    http://www.coachescorner.com/n_input/nnweb/scores/header_nfl_def_rank.htm

Pit - O rank: 14 D rank:7
    Sea - O rank: 2 D rank:14
    (Min - O rank: 25 D rank:21)

NE - O rank: 9 D rank:9
    Phili - O rank: 8 D rank:10
    (Min - O rank: 3 D rank:29)

NE - O rank: 15 D rank:7
    Car - O rank: 14 D rank:11
    (Min - O rank: 1 D rank:23)

TB - O rank: 24 D rank:1
    Oak - O rank: 2 D rank:9
    (Min - O rank: 1 D rank:26)

Average O ranking of SB winners: 15.5
    Average D ranking of SB winners: 6

Average O ranking of SB losers: 6.5
    Average D ranking of SB losers: 11

Min's average O ranking: 7.5 (lower because of last year)
    Min's average D ranking: 24.75

As you can see, the team with the higher ranked defense won every year. I stand by my remark that offense sells tickets, whlie defense wins games. Even the big games... :wink: Minny had one of the NFL's most dominent offenses for most of the past decade, and it got us no where. I am ready to ride our defense all the way to Miami this year.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Slade is offline Star Spokesman

Heck, I'll ride Ryan Longwells leg all the way to Miami if I have to.....err...wait. That didn't sound right...let move on shall we?

PurplePride80 is offline Star Spokesman

I hear ya triedandtruevikingsfan, I'm also concerned about the 2006 Minnesota Vikings.

If you look at the bottom right hand corner of PurplePride.org, you will see a poll named "Skol Poll". And the poll question is "What's your call? Season Record:

If you view the results, you will see that most people believe we will win 10-12 games this season. :shock:

That really suprises me because if we can't produce an effective running game, our offense will be horrible. Brad Johnson is a very efficient QB, a guy who won't put up big numbers, but also won't make a lot of mistakes. But in order for him to play like he did last season, he's going to need a strong running game. And if he dosen't get that, things are going to get ugly.

To refresh everyone's memory, our defense was the main reason we did so well at the end of the 05/06 season.

I'm expecting are defense to be MUCH better this season, but to be honest, I'll be suprised if we win more than 7-8 games.
    In the P.J.'s, my blend tape plays, bullets are strays
    Young bitches is grazed
    Each block, is like a maze, full of black rats trapped
    Plus the Island is packed
    From what I hear in all the stories when my peoples come back, black

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

"triedandtruevikesfan" wrote:
    So every day I read the KFAN notes and get more and more excited. However, the last couple days I've been thinking...

They keep saying how dominant our D has been. Great news, but... I've been excited about it the last couple of years thinking "finally our D isn't going to be the laughing stock of the league" while I will admit that they have improved the last couple of years they have been far from dominant. Which leads me to my concern... is our offense that bad??

We've been spoiled in the past with a dominant offense, and while I really hope that we have a balanced team this year, I really am worried. I am by no means a bandwagon fan... I'll stick by our boys through thick and thin, but I just don't know what to feel about the upcoming season. I'm soooooooo excited for it to start, but really am conflicted on how I think we're going to do.
    After last season's preseason hype and let down it's easy to feel uneasy.

But we really can't tell a lot by camp reports.For example, there are always going to be more interceptions when the defense knows the offense is working on 3rd and long or 2 minute drills.
    And the offense usually takes longer to jell.

But we should get a better idea with the preseason games.

At any rate, this is the time of year for optomism even if it's guarded.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast