Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Re: If The Vikes Ever Played Aroad

"singersp" wrote:
    "Vikings" wrote:
    This may have been done before, apologies if it has.

Would the people of Minnesota be in favour (favor for integration
    ) if the Vikings ever played a regular season game outside the USA?

Even though you guys only play 8 home games a year (regular), but would you sacrifice one of these games to help the NFL establish itself as a major worldwide brand?
    Yes & no. I wouldn't mind giving up a regular season game as long as it was one of our away games as well as an away game for our opponents.

Being a season ticket holder, I wouldn't dream of giving up a home game. 7 home games & 9 away games for any team just doesn't make sense. They'd be playing 2 more away games from the the state they belong to.

Right now there are 32 teams & 16 games, so if every team played an away game it would be fair. If every team gave up one of their home games to play abroad, every team in the NFL would have 7 home games, but the minute they add a couple of new teams, some teams will have the unfair advantage of 8 home games to every other teams 7.
    The games outside the US are away games for both teams.
    Both the Giants and Dolphins still played 8 home games.

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "Vikings" wrote:

Even though you guys only play 8 home games a year (regular), but would you sacrifice one of these games to help the NFL establish itself as a major worldwide brand?
    Yes & no. I wouldn't mind giving up a regular season game as long as it was one of our away games as well as an away game for our opponents.

Being a season ticket holder, I wouldn't dream of giving up a home game. 7 home games & 9 away games for any team just doesn't make sense. They'd be playing 2 more away games from the the state they belong to.

Right now there are 32 teams & 16 games, so if every team played an away game it would be fair. If every team gave up one of their home games to play abroad, every team in the NFL would have 7 home games, but the minute they add a couple of new teams, some teams will have the unfair advantage of 8 home games to every other teams 7.
    That doesn't add up. There are only 256 games, which makes 8 home games for each club, they can't possibly both have played away.

In this game, it cost the Dolphins a home game

Edit - Schedule:

Away:
    1 - @Washington
    2 - @N.Y. Jets
    3 - @Houston
    4 - @Cleveland
    5 - @Philadelphia
    6 - @Pittsburgh
    7 - @Buffalo
    8 - @New England

Home:
    1 - Dallas
    2 - Oakland
    3 - New England
    4 - N.Y. Giants (London)
    5 - Buffalo
    6 - N.Y. Jets
    7 - Baltimore
    8 - Cincinnati

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

"cogitans" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "Vikings" wrote:

That doesn't add up. There are only 256 games, which makes 8 home games for each club, they can't possibly both have played away.

Edit - Schedule:

Away:
    1 - @Washington
    2 - @N.Y. Jets
    3 - @Houston
    4 - @Cleveland
    5 - @Philadelphia
    6 - @Pittsburgh
    7 - @Buffalo
    8 - @New England

Home:
    1 - Dallas
    2 - Oakland
    3 - New England
    4 - N.Y. Giants (London)
    5 - Buffalo
    6 - N.Y. Jets
    7 - Baltimore
    8 - Cincinnati
    This is true.
    It did cost the Dolphins a home game.
    A lot of the fans here were pissed about it.

Mr-holland is offline Team Alumni

"ejmat" wrote:
    IMO whether it is the superbowl or any other regular season or post season game I do not support it for the reasons I've already mentioned.
    It is an American sport.
    The NFL tried to take the games abroad (NFL Europa).
    That didn't succeed.
    I don't see European soccer trying to have games in the states.
    Why should american football have games abroad or anywhere out of country?
    I am also extremely upset that Bufffalo is trying to move to Canada.
    I don't have anything against Canada or any other countries.
    However, football is a money maker plain and simple.
    If you are not making money find a place in the US that will.
    You can not compare European soccer with American football because you have soccer there to ( MLS ) so there's no use of playing games there. I personally think that the Superbowl should stay in America because it just wouldn't be fair on the other hand, why couldn't there be regular season games... as said, if the 2 teams both have the away game it wouldn't matter. And how do you come with the idea that the NFLE ( Nfl europa ) didn't succeed? the NFL pulled the plug out because they wanted to invest of the expand of NFL games abroad.
    Rosie O'Donnell is a dude!

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"ejmat" wrote:
    "cogitans" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "Vikings" wrote:

Edit - Schedule:

Away:
    1 - @Washington
    2 - @N.Y. Jets
    3 - @Houston
    4 - @Cleveland
    5 - @Philadelphia
    6 - @Pittsburgh
    7 - @Buffalo
    8 - @New England

Home:
    1 - Dallas
    2 - Oakland
    3 - New England
    4 - N.Y. Giants (London)
    5 - Buffalo
    6 - N.Y. Jets
    7 - Baltimore
    8 - Cincinnati
    This is true.
    My bad.
    I quickly looked at each of their schedules and added-up the home games.
    Did not realize that Home meant the UK.

Now, I am really against it.
    No homefield advantage (not the it would habe helped the Fins), but that is bull.
    Football belongs in the US with the teams Home fans behind them.
    Imagine you are a season ticket holder and you only get to see 7 games.
    That's only 7 tailgating parties.

"Mr-holland" wrote:
    "ejmat" wrote:
    IMO whether it is the superbowl or any other regular season or post season game I do not support it for the reasons I've already mentioned.
    It is an American sport.
    That didn't succeed.
    You can not compare European soccer with American football because you have soccer there to ( MLS ) so there's no use of playing games there. I personally think that the Superbowl should stay in America because it just wouldn't be fair on the other hand, why couldn't there be regular season games... as said, if the 2 teams both have the away game it wouldn't matter. And how do you come with the idea that the NFLE ( Nfl europa ) didn't succeed? the NFL pulled the plug out because they wanted to invest of the expand of NFL games abroad.
    Not true.
    The NFL was losing money.
    That was the main reason for pulling the plug.
    It was costing too much to send people over there to play and they weren't making it back in revenues.

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "ejmat" wrote:
    "cogitans" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    [quote author=Vikings United link=topic=40833.msg694326#msg694326 date=1198165292]

Edit - Schedule:

Away:
    1 - @Washington
    2 - @N.Y. Jets
    3 - @Houston
    4 - @Cleveland
    5 - @Philadelphia
    6 - @Pittsburgh
    7 - @Buffalo
    8 - @New England

Home:
    1 - Dallas
    2 - Oakland
    3 - New England
    4 - N.Y. Giants (London)
    5 - Buffalo
    6 - N.Y. Jets
    7 - Baltimore
    8 - Cincinnati
    This is true.
    My bad.
    I quickly looked at each of their schedules and added-up the home games.
    Did not realize that Home meant the UK.

Now, I am really against it.
    No homefield advantage (not the it would habe helped the Fins), but that is bull.
    Football belongs in the US with the teams Home fans behind them.
    Imagine you are a season ticket holder and you only get to see 7 games.
    That's only 7 tailgating parties.

[/quote]

Now you're getting it Ultra.
    LOL.

All kidding aside, it's an American sport.
    If they want to do exhibitions in other countries I can agree to that.
    Just not the regular season or post season.
    What about home field advantage (especially in the playofffs).
    The superbowl would take away a huge chunk of revenue from the city it would have been inthe US.
    We all know the US could use as much help as it can with the economy.

SKOL is offline Ring of Fame

"ejmat" wrote:
    "Mr-holland" wrote:
    "ejmat" wrote:
    It is an American sport.
    That didn't succeed.
    Not true.
    It was costing too much to send people over there to play and they weren't making it back in revenues.
    That may have been an underlying reason, but it was not the reason the league gave:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nfl_europa

"Wikipedia" wrote:
    On June 29, 2007, NFL officials announced that the league would be disbanded effective immediately[1], calling the decision a sound business move that will allow for a stronger international focus on regular-season games outside the United States.
    The announcement came less than a week after the Hamburg Sea Devils beat the Frankfurt Galaxy 37-28 in the World Bowl championship in Frankfurt in front of a crowd of 48,125.

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell thanked the fans for their support but said it was time to develop a new international strategy, terming the move to fold NFL Europa the "best business decision." The league reportedly was losing about $30 million a season.
    Of course the last statement was someone at Wikipedia reading into Goodell's words.

;D

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good -Samuel Johnson - lexicographer
    The word genius isn t applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein - Joe Theisman

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

"jmcdon00" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    [quote author=SKOL link=topic=40833.msg694528#msg694528 date=1198184495]
    jmcdon, I just lost a little respect for you

;D .
    I believe all players are required to pay Minnesota income tax.
    That should also be a significant consideration.
    What if Minnesota lost the team?
    The loss in tax revenue would be astronomical.
    There is absolutely no reason to believe the vikings are going any where. But I suppose that if the vikings get a new stadium they will spend more on players, oh wait no there is a salary cap. But more people would go to the games right? no actually the dome has sold out every game for several years and the stadium plans I have seen would actually have a lower capacity than the dome.

Fact: It is cheaper for the owner to lobby for a new stadium than to build one.
    If state and local governments are losing money over the construction of new stadiums, why do they continue to fund them?
    ???
    Lobbists and voters support for the team. Government is not known for making good investments, they are known for spending tax payer money wastefully to try to get re-elected.
    The better question would be, if stadiums are such a money maker, why isn't the private sector building them? The state only gets 6.5% of the sales, the private sector gets the other 93.5%.
    I am not saying that the state will be damned if they build a stadium, just that it is not fiscally responsible. I am excited about the twins stadium and can't wait to see a game there but I think the lesson we learned there is that the owner is in it to make money and the Pollad's are taking the taxpayer money straight to the bank, they so far have not reinvested the money in the team.
    Personally I would be thrilled to have a new Vikings stadium, but that is only because I go to a lot of the games and am a huge supporter of the vikings.
    I am not sure where you get your figures from, but the private sector does NOT get 93.5% of the profit from the dome, or any other damn stadium.
    The metrodome is owned and operated by a government entity (the MSC), and it controls all vending and initial ticket rights for every single event in the dome.
    The Vikings pay to lease the dome on game days.

The dome holds over 300 events per year.
    Many of them are huge money makers for the MSC, like trade shows, concerts, event shows (like the outdoors show).
    There is a reason that the loans for the construction of the metrodome were paid off well ahead of schedule.
    And the metrodome currently operates without any public money.

Saying that the only thing the state and city governments get back from the metrodome is the 6.5% sales tax Vikings fans pay on game day is not only skewing the statistics, but is also simply wrong.
    They should cut the city out of the equation, governments do not run business nearly as effectively as the private sector. The reason is simply because it is not there money, they don't get paid more or less based on the profit of the business so there is simply no incentive to make a profit. Case in point, the metrodome. Built with public money and 25 years later it needs replacing. Why do we need the MSC to be involved?
    It simply does not make any sence for the state to control such things.
    [/quote]

Not only does the state and local governments get revenue from the ticket sales, player salaries, etc, local business can flourish as well, which additionally increases state and local government revenue.
    300 events a year... wow.
    Think of all the people flooding in to spend their money.
    I'm sure the politicians are poping wood at the thought of it.
    If they weren't worried about not getting reelected, they would have voted this into action by now.
    It seems like majority of the people here (locally, not PP.O) don't want a new stadium...and why should they if they are not a local business owner, or fan.

Keep the regular season NFL in the USA.
    As stated earlier, there are plenty of pre-season games to play abroad.

"SKOL" wrote:
    "ejmat" wrote:
    "Mr-holland" wrote:
    "ejmat" wrote:
    It is an American sport.
    That didn't succeed.
    Not true.
    That may have been an underlying reason, but it was not the reason the league gave:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nfl_europa

"Wikipedia" wrote:
    On June 29, 2007, NFL officials announced that the league would be disbanded effective immediately[1], calling the decision a sound business move that will allow for a stronger international focus on regular-season games outside the United States.
    The announcement came less than a week after the Hamburg Sea Devils beat the Frankfurt Galaxy 37-28 in the World Bowl championship in Frankfurt in front of a crowd of 48,125.

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell thanked the fans for their support but said it was time to develop a new international strategy, terming the move to fold NFL Europa the "best business decision." The league reportedly was losing about $30 million a season.
    Of course the last statement was someone at Wikipedia reading into Goodell's words.

;D
    not wuite sure but evidently that is what was reported.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456