Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    smootpepper is offline Pro-Bowler

Re: If Tice can't get the job done, who should be the next c

I still think the bills D coach is the way to go. Gray would be a good coach. Cotrell would work too.

I think Tice will be a good coach someday, and in a way I hope he can win this year and keep his job for another 2 years to prove himself.

here is the Tice scouting report for head coaches from 2000 or 99.

Mike Tice, OL, Minnesota (... a Dennis Green favorite and great technician, he's going to be a head coach, although a stop as OC is in order first...)

I think in about 2 years he will be a good coach that can put together a winning team and will win through out the season, no late season slides. He should have been an O cord. first though, I think that would have helped him in understanding scheming for other teams better.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"smootpepper" wrote:
    ... the only one I remember us really dumping on was Les. He had a worse record then Tice and I think he made it 5 years as head coach.
    Les Steckel was only here for 1984. The others were;

Norm Van Brocklin 61-66
    Bud Grant 67-83 & 85
    Jerry Burns 86-91
    Denny Green 92-2001
    & of course Mike Tice 'til present

I don't even want to speculate right now until were further along in the season. Tice took us to the playoffs last year & look what we had for a defense. I've seen progress every year. No other coach can come in here & take us to a Super Bowl in 1 yr. I say bring the topic up again at the end of the year if need be.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

Re: If Tice can't get the job done, who should be the next coach

Anybody hard with a no nonsense attitude will do. Tice is a good coach but his major flaw is that the player don't have the right mindset going into games. Well he has another major flaw cuz his playcalling is horrible.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

smootpepper is offline Pro-Bowler

Thats right, Les was around for only one year. For some reason I give him credit for those 3 years in the 80's when we sucked really bad.

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

"Del Rio" wrote:
    I can't get my HS Qb to stop throwing INT's how am i supposed to get Daunte to LMAO!

* he did only throw one this week he is getting a bit better.

That's a start I guess! What's his TD/INT ratio? I can't imagine it's too good!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

I actually paid money to watch a Les Stenkel coached team get pounded by the Bears in Soldier Field. I felt foolish because the Vikings were so bad that year and the Bear fans were relentless in their taunts for finally being able to see a Vikings team at the bottom of the NFL. Les had a "military mind" and a team that wasn't ready to enlist.

Tony Dungy would be my first choice but he is the best chance the Colts have to win a Super Bowl. As long as he has Peyton Manning, he will be the Colt's coach.

Can Jimmy Johnson come back and be a great coach again? He seems to have a great deal with Fox and I could never see him leaving there.

Let's see what Dennis Green does with Arizona before we say it was a mistake to let him go.

I hope the Vikings beat the Bengals, I'm not too sure that the Vikings are vastly improved from last year. Let's face it, the Packers weren't too tough last year so that wasn't all that impressive of a playoff win.

I really liked the choice of Tice as head coach after Green departed, however I have been skeptical in recent years. I was dissapointed to say the least to watch the most recent season ending collapses, however was estatic with the game plan he set up against the pack last year in the playoffs. IM going to have to agree with an earlier post, before we bail on our coach lets see what he can do this year. There has been a lot of negativity and as a site that i feel represents the true supports of purplepride, we must stick by out team, regardless if they have a letdown game. Ill admit i was rather upset after watching last sundays game, but never did i think i would not cheer for them come the next sunday. The only thing that will ever force me to stop cheering for this team is if they are no long pronounced the MINNESTOA VIKINGS......SKOL

kyleo1967 is offline Starter

Bring back Linehan, make him head coach. He's one of the best offensive minds in the game. Also I read in the off season the Fassel (sp?) the old giants coach, is the best available.

VegasLadyJae is offline Pro-Bowler

Jeff Fisher, always liked him and I believe he will be let go after this year. 2nd choice would be Linehan because of Daunte. 3rd choice Kurt Ferentz out of Iowa....and last but not least would be Jimmy Johnson, from the Eagles.

vikesls is offline Rookie

Oh I remember the painful Les Stinkel year (sorry I couldn't help it). And the Jerry Burns years weren't a lot better.

One thing I noticed about Green is that he seemed to like a seasoned proven quarterback. McMann, Cunningham, George and now even with the cardinals he's got Warner another SB back.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast