Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    SHOW-TIME is offline Pro-Bowler

If there was another NFL draft tomorrow

"SHOW-TIME" wrote:
    When the soonest you can trade a player? If it was by draft time i would trade Hovan and some other overrated player or a draft pick or some one of the rbs for a high draft pick. I would go crazy if we got Braylon Edwards in the first round and had another pick to get someone on defense in the first round.

I say that only because Braylon is the man and I love Michigan not because im an idiot and think we need more help on Offense but Moss, Robinson, and Edwards that would be pretty sweet.
    so yeah eatingpieinbed some friends of mine http://www.purevolume.com/eatingpieinbed

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

"cajunvike" wrote:
    "muchluv4moss" wrote:
    I am suprised no one has said this, but I really would like to see us get a star safety. We have two decent safeties right now, but I would like to see us get a roy williams/ed reed/shawn taylor type of saftey, and get rid of russell or move him to backup. If you look at the good D's in this league, they all have super star safeties on their team. Although chavous went to the pro bowl last year and is a good safety, I wouldn't rate him in the star category at all.

Also we need a big(320+) DT to take over for hovan(who can leave and take a big contract from some other team and under prefrom).

It would be very hard to pass on Mike williams if he was available though(I wouldn't pass if he was there). Even though our offense is unstoppable right now, mike williams is gonna be an unbelieveable WR in the NFL and he will probably slide down in the draft because of his being out of football for a year. BPA has seem to work for us the last 2 drafts, so if he was their, I would call him the BPA over any player that will be in the next draft.
    Mike Williams will not be available when we pick, I can almost guarantee that...but I can bet that a very good DT will still be on the board, which is where we need the most improvement. Hell, I would draft almost exclusively defense in the coming draft...it is where we need the improvement. We will be getting back Kleinsasser and Rosenthal (who we won't have had at all this year, so they act as new additions to what is this year's #1 offense) so we don't need much on offense. Barring injury, we will have on hell of a team next year...pretty much unstoppable!

I would have thought we would have learned by now, that saying that a player will not be available when we pick is crazy. I know I definitely learned after the last draft, not to say it. I was saying all offseason, that there was no way udeze would be there when we picked, and look at what happened. And to say that a player who isn't even playing football this year, will be gone when we pick is absurd. There was already question marks surrounding the guy during the last draft, and he was being projected at 10-15. No way a year off from football won't drop him down a little more.

If mike williams is there, he has to be the guy we take, but if he isn't, then hopefully there will be a good safety available. Remember that ed reed wasn't a high draft pick, so there are good safteies out there that don't get picked in the top 10. If there isn't a safety worthy of the spot we are picking at, then look at DT.

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

"SHOW-TIME" wrote:
    When the soonest you can trade a player? If it was by draft time i would trade Hovan and some other overrated player or a draft pick or some one of the rbs for a high draft pick. I would go crazy if we got Braylon Edwards in the first round and had another pick to get someone on defense in the first round.

We can't really trade hovan, when he is gonna be a free agent. We could have traded him before the trade deadline this year, but that has past.

Remember, we will almost assuridly trade a RB and get an extra draft pick there, so we should be able to move up in the 1st round, if needed.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"muchluv4moss" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    "muchluv4moss" wrote:
    I am suprised no one has said this, but I really would like to see us get a star safety. We have two decent safeties right now, but I would like to see us get a roy williams/ed reed/shawn taylor type of saftey, and get rid of russell or move him to backup. If you look at the good D's in this league, they all have super star safeties on their team. Although chavous went to the pro bowl last year and is a good safety, I wouldn't rate him in the star category at all.

Also we need a big(320+) DT to take over for hovan(who can leave and take a big contract from some other team and under prefrom).

It would be very hard to pass on Mike williams if he was available though(I wouldn't pass if he was there). Even though our offense is unstoppable right now, mike williams is gonna be an unbelieveable WR in the NFL and he will probably slide down in the draft because of his being out of football for a year. BPA has seem to work for us the last 2 drafts, so if he was their, I would call him the BPA over any player that will be in the next draft.
    Mike Williams will not be available when we pick, I can almost guarantee that...but I can bet that a very good DT will still be on the board, which is where we need the most improvement. Hell, I would draft almost exclusively defense in the coming draft...it is where we need the improvement. We will be getting back Kleinsasser and Rosenthal (who we won't have had at all this year, so they act as new additions to what is this year's #1 offense) so we don't need much on offense. Barring injury, we will have on hell of a team next year...pretty much unstoppable!

I would have thought we would have learned by now, that saying that a player will not be available when we pick is crazy. I know I definitely learned after the last draft, not to say it. I was saying all offseason, that there was no way udeze would be there when we picked, and look at what happened. And to say that a player who isn't even playing football this year, will be gone when we pick is absurd. There was already question marks surrounding the guy during the last draft, and he was being projected at 10-15. No way a year off from football won't drop him down a little more.

If mike williams is there, he has to be the guy we take, but if he isn't, then hopefully there will be a good safety available. Remember that ed reed wasn't a high draft pick, so there are good safteies out there that don't get picked in the top 10. If there isn't a safety worthy of the spot we are picking at, then look at DT.
    OK, but I will still be stunned if he is still available when we pick...I would rather get a defensive stud anyway!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Jarhead is offline Rookie

Maybe I don't know much about football, but, do you really want to draft a CB in the first round as a nickle back? Our corners are still pretty young and don't need immediate replacement so I think I would pass on a corner in the first round.

I'll never complain about taking a bad ass line backer. But when you consider a healthy line up we don't really need line backers.

I don't think Dixon is going to play more than one more year. Liewenski will be 30 next year and we don't have quality depth anywhere on the OL, with the excpetion of tackle when Rosenthal comes back and we have Dorsey as a back up tackle. But what if Dixon, Liewenski, or Mckinney goes down?

I think our safety position isn't bad though Chavous could use replacing before too long (but not now). So drafting a bad ass safety wouldn't be a bad idea but I think OL is a more immediate need.

I just don't think you use a first round pick to draft a nickle back or third reciever unless you have amazing depth everywhere else.
    And, ladies and gentlemen, I also know that he cannot lead troops to victory in a war when he has made it perfectly clear that he does not support the cause. -Gen. Tommy Franks on John Kerry-

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"Jarhead" wrote:
    Maybe I don't know much about football, but, do you really want to draft a CB in the first round as a nickle back? Our corners are still pretty young and don't need immediate replacement so I think I would pass on a corner in the first round.

I'll never complain about taking a bad ass line backer. But when you consider a healthy line up we don't really need line backers.

I don't think Dixon is going to play more than one more year. Liewenski will be 30 next year and we don't have quality depth anywhere on the OL, with the excpetion of tackle when Rosenthal comes back and we have Dorsey as a back up tackle. But what if Dixon, Liewenski, or Mckinney goes down?

I think our safety position isn't bad though Chavous could use replacing before too long (but not now). So drafting a bad ass safety wouldn't be a bad idea but I think OL is a more immediate need.

I just don't think you use a first round pick to draft a nickle back or third reciever unless you have amazing depth everywhere else.
    I think that most people on this thread are thinking IMPACT STARTER when considering who to draft in the first round...so if they are advocating drafting a DB (not my choice) they are thinking a Terrance Newman, Marcus Trufant, Sean Taylor, Roy Williams (Cowboys) type who will start immediately and automatically upgrade the existing personnel (disregarding how young our present secondary is)...what many here may not realize is that those type of players are rare and the odds of our getting one of them next year are slim based on where we will probably be picking next year (unless you guys are predicting an even greater fade down the stretch than last year, God forbid). So your thoughts are valid, Jarhead, as regards not picking a DB (who in the late first round would probably be a projected nickle back at best) first. I tend to disagree with you about picking an offensive lineman, only because we have had very good luck developing homegrown linemen picked in the later rounds or through free agency...I would much rather see them draft defense in the early rounds (like they did this year and wanted to do the year they wanted to draft Sims [but got McKinney...which turned out better than they could have imagined, what with getting KWill the next year, who is better than Sims IMHO]). I specifically think that if a DL is available who could be an IMPACT PLAYER (not necessarily a starter), the whole defense would benefit...our pass defense would definitely get a boost from someone who could get after the QB with some frequency. But overall, I would have to agree with the general thrust of your assessment. :salute:
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

In my opinion, drafting a wide receiver in the first round is stupid, even if Mike Williams and Braylon Edwards is there when we pick, drafting either one is still stupid because we have a good corps of wide receivers in Moss, Robinson, Burleson, and Campbell. I want to see us draft a cornerback in the first round because our cornerback depth suck but if Hovan leaves and Caliborne leaves then linebacker and defensive tackle is our biggest need plus I want to see the Vikes draft a star safety because I am not sold on Russell.
    0fc1de3e4ff7ffe42e40bba70cebd90c

hawaiianvike21 is offline Team Alumni

"MossWilliamsHenderson" wrote:
    In my opinion, drafting a wide receiver in the first round is stupid, even if Mike Williams and Braylon Edwards is there when we pick, drafting either one is still stupid because we have a good corps of wide receivers in Moss, Robinson, Burleson, and Campbell. I want to see us draft a cornerback in the first round because our cornerback depth suck but if Hovan leaves and Caliborne leaves then linebacker and defensive tackle is our biggest need plus I want to see the Vikes draft a star safety because I am not sold on Russell.
    Well the only way i can think of drafting a wideout is if there is no one worthy to choose on the defensive side of the ball. IF we can get a quality wideout in the first round and use other picks in the other rounds, i would say go for it. I know that just about any wideout could flourish in our system taking away the heat from moss and robinson and leaving him in single coverage along with burleson and kelly cambell. We have a lot of threats to score with speed, adding to it will make our offense become like the likes of the 98 offense. No more keenan howry either. :lol:
    Hupo oe ke kau ana i ka waiupa a ma kou pa o & Hupo na Po o waiupa a

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123