Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    If I *WERE* the Vikings GM...

/subjunctive case

=Z=
    Your quest for perfect grammar is admirable. However, it doesn't matter if you don't mean much by correcting them in front of everyone. The one corrected sees you as a jerk as well as others present, I'm sure. Something tells me that you do mean something by it. I think you like to show off.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion
    I'd be looking for a new job, the Vikings are a cursed franchise and I wouldn't not want my job tied to their performance.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    Since a lot of people here are bagging on Spielman and the front office, I thought I would start a fun little thread. This thread is meant to be FUN, not a platform for attacking others.

Here are the rules:

- Assume that it turns out that Zygi Wilf is a rabid PP.O lurker, and he has been following your incredibly insightful posts for the past year. In response he decided to hire you as the GM starting in the 2013 offseason.
    First, I believe Mr. Wilf reads everyone of my posts anyways, so you shouldn't have to tell me that.

Second, great idea for a thread.

3 Priority Areas:

1. WR - Most have QB here but I don't think thats the issue. I think our biggest problem is we have a incomplete WR corps.

Some hack on accuracy on deep balls as a reason to get rid of Ponder. Let me tell you, its easier to be accurate on a deep ball when your throwing to a spot than it is to weave a ball in between a LB, CB and possibly a S in the short to intermediate zones. Percy had 62 receptions and was leading or tied with Welker when he went down. Are you going to try to tell me that Brady isn't accurate?

I'm of a mind that you find a couple of WR's (a Vet and a rookie) that can give you a WR who can work the intermediate routes (Z) along with Simpson on the deep routes (X) and Percy/Wright running the short stuff/slot (Y). You know, WR's that actually run routes good enough to allow the QB to have a comfort level that they will be at the spot he throws the ball to, instead of the ones we have now.

So, to fix my priority area of concern I would keep Percy for his last year, target Dwayne Bowe in FA and draft a Terrance Hunter or Terrance Williams with my first pick in the draft.

That would give me a true X in Simpson (who is currently being used as a Z) a true Z veteran in Bowe (who can also work as a X) and a Proven Y with Percy. I would keep Wright as Percy's backup along with the Rookie as my five WR's.

I'd also get Summers off the practice squad and see what he could do to earn a spot as I'd really think long and hard into convincing the coaching staff to keep 6 WR's on the roster this year.

2. DT 0/1 tech. I know most thought I put Warpig as first but I'm not going to. Although I still think its a dire need, I think our offense needs to be addressed first, mostly because our fanbase are a bunch of chuckle heads. If we drafted a DT first they would leave the mothership like rats leaving a sinking ship.

Besides, being the good GM that I am, I have a pretty good idea that what my scouts have provided me is true in that I should be able to get my Warpig by either moving up a bit into the second round or even sitting pat.

Sylvester Williams*|*North Carolina,*DT*:*2013 NFL Draft Scout Player Profile

I'd also add some insurance to the mix and see if I can land Randy Starks FA (Miami) to the roster as a FA if Miami doesn't resign him.

3. OLB - I like what Erin has done this year but do not think we should resign him if his asking price is to high (which I think it will). Having said that, I would look at adding a OLB in the 3rd round of the draft with the following candidates on my draft board:

Jamie Collins, OLB, Southern Mississippi, NFL Draft - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com
    Chase Thomas, OLB, Stanford, NFL Draft - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com
    Brandon Jenkins, OLB, Florida State, NFL Draft - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

Most importantly, I'd get rid of Singletary (or at least mandate that he stays away from the LB'rs) and would allow Chad to play his natural position.

I'd also target an old fart like Daryl Smith (Jags) to come in and add depth.

On a side note:

I can't believe someone actually thought that Smith would be a upgrade to Ponder because of his arm strength. Doesn't that certain someone know that the 2 reasons why Smith isn't playing is 1) Arm strength and 2) what his contract figure will be next year?

In the end, there are no rookie QB's worth drafting this year in the first round so none of the would be able supplant Ponder. Second, there are no Vet QB's worth bringing in that would provide us a long term solution at QB.

As the GM I would look at the tape when AD's wasn't pulling the team (early on when Ponder had a WR that could actually run a route instead of just run block) and would use that as my basis to say that he can and will be the future at that position instead of pining for deep throws every 3rd for fourth play like some fans on here.
    Last edited by Marrdro; 12-26-2012 at 12:54 PM.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    I can't believe someone actually thought that Smith would be a upgrade to Ponder because of his arm strength. Doesn't that certain someone know that the 2 reasons why Smith isn't playing is 1) Arm strength and 2) what his contract figure will be next year?
    To be fair, Smith has been pretty damn good as a starter the past few years. I believe he would be an upgrade to Ponder - not necessarily in arm strength, but in decision making and experience. And I also believe he is a little more accurate on deep throws. They get there slowly just like with Ponder, but they at least get to the right spot.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

To be fair, Smith has been pretty damn good as a starter the past few years. I believe he would be an upgrade to Ponder - not necessarily in arm strength, but in decision making and experience. And I also believe he is a little more accurate on deep throws. They get there slowly just like with Ponder, but they at least get to the right spot.
    Good point, however, he has only been good for one coach. Does anyone on here really think that Musgrove will get the production out of him other coaches couldn't?

On a side note, how do you know that Ponders are at the wrong spot and the receiver is at the right spot instead of the other way around.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired
    Decision making and experience seem to be related to improved offensive line an receiver play Smith's case.

And as far as the deep ball goes, Smith is at best similar in accuracy to Ponder. I've watched most Niners game over the past couple of seasons and I've seriously never seen someone who lacks arm strength overthrow open receivers 30-40 yards down field more frequently than Alex Smith. He doesn't trust his arm, so tries to throw hard and becomes inaccurate. It's frustrating to watch. I can't imagine how I'd feel about it if he were doing that in purple.

Another bleacher report.....Give some CAP figures as well as FA possibilities.

A Realistic Free Agent Wish List for the Minnesota Vikings, Based on Cap Space | Bleacher Report

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    First, I believe Mr. Wilf reads everyone of my posts anyways, so you shouldn't have to tell me that.
    I guess that further substantiates Caine's reasoning & is one of the huge reasons why he is so adamant that Mr. Wilf keeps his nose out of football related business other than signing checks.

FIRST: I would tell Zygi that he and Mark and Leonard are FIRED from any FOOTBALL meetings. They get NO say in ANYTHING football related. They get to sit in the owners box, smile for the camera, and sign checks. Other than that, STFU

Caine

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    I guess that further substantiates Caine's reasoning & is one of the huge reasons why he is so adamant that Mr. Wilf keeps his nose out of football related business other than signing checks.
    LOL, well played old friend. Well played indeed.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast