Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

If I was the Vikings GM, I would...

Since a lot of people here are bagging on Spielman and the front office, I thought I would start a fun little thread. This thread is meant to be FUN, not a platform for attacking others.

Here are the rules:

- Assume that it turns out that Zygi Wilf is a rabid PP.O lurker, and he has been following your incredibly insightful posts for the past year. In response he decided to hire you as the GM starting in the 2013 offseason.
    - Pick three areas of weakness you think are the highest priority to be addressed, and explain how you would fix those areas. I say only three because it is both impractical and highly improbable that anyone can overhaul more than three different position areas in a single offseason.
    - Be realistic. Any posts that say you would trade Webb for Rodgers are crap. We don't like crap.
    - You cannot critique someone else's solutions until you have offered up one of your own. <-- Important
    - After offering your own solution, feel free to discuss, compliment critique, or poke holes in others while at the same time watching others do the same to you. Enjoy life as a GM.

Around this time next season, I will resurrect this thread and we can see whose ideas might have had merit to them.
    Last edited by NodakPaul; 12-14-2012 at 09:45 AM.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Blog Entries
    If I was the Vikings GM, I would...

Identify QB, WR and LB as my three problem areas.

QB - I would look to trade for Alex Smith. While I would really like to see us get G. Smith or Barkley in the draft, there are too many teams ahead of us who will also need a QB. We would have to trade up to get one of them. That may be a solution too, but I think A. Smith will be the more accessible solution, and it gives a veteran presence. I could see going as high as a second rounder for him. I would also look to draft one of the other QB prospects in the second or third round - someone to learn from Smith. I would let Ponder and Webb battle it out in training camp for the final QB spot.

WR - I would look to get a WR in the first round, and I would focus all my energy on resigning Harvin. We have a roster full of WRs who can be the 4th or 5th guy. What we need is a top three, and I think someone like Keenan Allen will be available right in the area we will be drafting. With a big WR, Harvin, and Wright as our top three, I think we will have a much better WR corps.

LB - All of our LBs are having their ups and downs right now. There wont be much available in FA, unless Houston lets Barwin go. I would draft for position in the later rounds, and head into 2013 with the same basic LB corps, hoping that one of our younger LBs can develop. not the best solution, but possible the most realistic.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

kingpin9995 is offline Starter
    QB... It's obvious Ponder has been a major disappointment since about week 4 when teams exposed him for his weak arm, poor pocket presence, poor mechanics, and the unwillingness to throw the ball on time to most anyone unless he's 3 yards behind the line of scrimmage. I'd go not after Smith. I'd go after the Packer backup Flynn and let Ponder and him fight it out. See if either is the answer since no way Speilman is going to give up on Ponder after this season. As for Joe Webb he needs to be moved to receiver and start the season with him there an no where else. See if he can become a decent wide out with his freaky athletic ability. Also see what the third stringer has. It will be a very good competition for all three.

WR.... It's pretty much a done deal Harvin is going to be history next year. What I've heard is he is one guy that wants out. I'd look to make a deal for Harvin to the Cards and a draft pick fir Fitz. The guy is wasting away in Arizona and he's a home grown kid who would be a great fit here. He's got a lot of football left and would be a great target for whomever wins out next year at qb. Next you draft number 1 at receiver if the right guy is there. That makes you starting out next year with some excitement at the position, and some promise.

CB.... With Winfield long in the tooth, the Vikings draft gave them some nice players in Harrison and Robinson. Cook will be back but in this division they still need another standout player. Second round or a trade up to one and get yourself the best corner in the draft available. To compete with the Pack you must have depth at this position.

Fianlly............. Cut Kluwe and bring in Ray Guy. That would make Crissy happy.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    I would ask him to fire me and hire an experienced football executive to run the team. Someone who has been around a winning organization and knows how and why it was successful and that can bring the same success here.

I would then have one press conference where I would stand at the Podium, pffer my resignation and tell NDPaul that we finally got a guy who knows what the hell is is doing and that I also talked them into providing free jello shots at every home game tailgating PP.O party.

There are lots of ways to build a franchise and lots of philosophies and they can all work. You just have to have the right people who know and believe in the system working in it.

If you look at the Packers, the Steelers, The Patriots etc they have an identity that they have established and while players come and go, the new players are brought into that philosophy and keep it going.

We could be a smash mouth, pound it out, Mano-e Mano type team, we could be a high flying, technical, high scoring team or whatever. I just don't see the FO forming any sort of successful identity unless you call finding ways to lose games you should win an identity. And if so that identity sucks.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Here is a link of guys who may be the next crop of GM's in the NFL. I am not nor do I want to be on the list. But that being said I would love to have one of the best of the next crop.

The Next NFL General Managers | The Sideline View

At this time of the year, I rarely go a few days without being asked about potential general manager candidates. And if youíre following me on Twitter or have heard me in any recent radio interviews, you might have caught some of the names Iíve mentioned. But because Iím constantly having conversations with NFL executives over the course of the season, that list expands or gets reduced by the information I gather by the week.
    With only five weeks left in the regular season, itís a good time to take an extended look at the best candidates for potential general manger openings, which should start to open up in early January. Heck, one already opened up last month.
    In order to get an idea of who the best candidates are, I asked two current NFL general managers, one former NFL general manager, three personnel executives, and three prominent NFL player agents who they thought should be on the list. And I asked each guy to remove friendships, the best they could, and give me their list of the top-five most qualified names.
    Hereís the list broken down by the ones most likely to get jobs for 2013 and executives likely to get strong consideration in the future:

digital420 is offline Team Alumni
    I would begin by evaluating the playbook. if it has the potential to utilize the talent we have, and the talent we want to bring in, keep the OC, and improve the team. otherwise #1 is picking a new OC.. and loose # 3.

if rustymusty is still with us.....

1. PH this is a hard nut to crack. on one hand how can you let go of this guy.. unless there really is some serious issues between PH and the FO, set him up, pay him incentive laden good upfront. If that can't happen, no matter how far we bend, then i'd look to get picks + a starting solid player, and maybe some depth. possible trades would either be focused on, WR, CB, QB. there will be teams willing to part with star players to get a star like PH, and i'm sure we can pull in a stud @ a position we need and hopefully pull off a hershel walker type trade. either way it'll happen this summer/spring.

2. depending on what position i filled with the ph delima.. i'd look to FA for one of the others. What would it take to get a NFL tested QB, is he worth it? what about Jennings, (after he is let go from the pukers). i'd know that with the space i save from PH i can pay out here. maybe a DT, better depth @ saftey, studly LB?
    if i keep harvin, then the budget is gonna be a lot smaller and maybe can only get 1 or 2 FA's with the idea they challange to start, or are quality depth. even possibly a vet qb, move webb to wr.

3. Draft.. continue to build key positions from quality draft choices. narrow the field down to priorities, but exclude a QB. I don't believe @ this point we can draft a qb. there isn't the talent pool, and we have 3 young qb's now. LB, DT, CB, G, CB, S, WR over grind these positions with new quality blood. ohh and i know i'd make the right picks as i'd be reading PPO every day for it's enlightened indepth pre-draft evaluations.

DiGiTaL
    Last edited by digital420; 12-14-2012 at 03:17 PM.

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kingpin9995 View Post
    QB... It's obvious Ponder has been a major disappointment since about week 4 when teams exposed him for his weak arm, poor pocket presence, poor mechanics, and the unwillingness to throw the ball on time to most anyone unless he's 3 yards behind the line of scrimmage. I'd go not after Smith. I'd go after the Packer backup Flynn and let Ponder and him fight it out. See if either is the answer since no way Speilman is going to give up on Ponder after this season. As for Joe Webb he needs to be moved to receiver and start the season with him there an no where else. See if he can become a decent wide out with his freaky athletic ability. Also see what the third stringer has. It will be a very good competition for all three.

WR.... It's pretty much a done deal Harvin is going to be history next year. What I've heard is he is one guy that wants out. I'd look to make a deal for Harvin to the Cards and a draft pick fir Fitz. The guy is wasting away in Arizona and he's a home grown kid who would be a great fit here. He's got a lot of football left and would be a great target for whomever wins out next year at qb. Next you draft number 1 at receiver if the right guy is there. That makes you starting out next year with some excitement at the position, and some promise.

CB.... With Winfield long in the tooth, the Vikings draft gave them some nice players in Harrison and Robinson. Cook will be back but in this division they still need another standout player. Second round or a trade up to one and get yourself the best corner in the draft available. To compete with the Pack you must have depth at this position.

Fianlly............. Cut Kluwe and bring in Ray Guy. That would make Crissy happy.
    Interesting take on QB. It feels to me that we wouldn't really be upgrading at QB if it came down to Flynn or Ponder. I would rather not spend another year with a question mark at QB.

I would LOVE to bring in Fitz, but he also has a monster contract AND he is the only bright spot in AZ right now. I don't see them trading him for anything short of a hershal walker type deal.

I do agree that CB needs to be addressed. I am excited to have Cook back but it would be nice to have him healthy for a full season. And Winny is definitely getting up there.
    Zeus wrote:

=Z=

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by digital420 View Post
    I would begin by evaluating the playbook. if it has the potential to utilize the talent we have, and the talent we want to bring in, keep the OC, and improve the team. otherwise #1 is picking a new OC.. and loose # 3.

if rustymusty is still with us.....

1. PH this is a hard nut to crack. on one hand how can you let go of this guy.. unless there really is some serious issues between PH and the FO, set him up, pay him incentive laden good upfront. If that can't happen, no matter how far we bend, then i'd look to get picks + a starting solid player, and maybe some depth. possible trades would either be focused on, WR, CB, QB. there will be teams willing to part with star players to get a star like PH, and i'm sure we can pull in a stud @ a position we need and hopefully pull off a hershel walker type trade. either way it'll happen this summer/spring.

2. depending on what position i filled with the ph delima.. i'd look to FA for one of the others. What would it take to get a NFL tested QB, is he worth it? what about Jennings, (after he is let go from the pukers). i'd know that with the space i save from PH i can pay out here. maybe a DT, better depth @ saftey, studly LB?
    if i keep harvin, then the budget is gonna be a lot smaller and maybe can only get 1 or 2 FA's with the idea they challange to start, or are quality depth. even possibly a vet qb, move webb to wr.

3. Draft.. continue to build key positions from quality draft choices. narrow the field down to priorities, but exclude a QB. I don't believe @ this point we can draft a qb. there isn't the talent pool, and we have 3 young qb's now. LB, DT, CB, G, CB, S, WR over grind these positions with new quality blood. ohh and i know i'd make the right picks as i'd be reading PPO every day for it's enlightened indepth pre-draft evaluations.

DiGiTaL
    Regarding #2, what FAs are you thinking of? Or for that matter, what teams would you look to trade Harvin to. It is too easy to be vague.

But I am intrigued by your third point. Basically draft BPA regardless of need? There is something to be said about that. It takes a few years to fill out a roster, but eventually it can work. The downside is if you are repeatedly picking in the same spot you will tend to have a lot of recycling at the same position, like Detroit did at WR for pretty much the entire Millen era.
    Zeus wrote:

=Z=

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    I would ask him to fire me and hire an experienced football executive to run the team. Someone who has been around a winning organization and knows how and why it was successful and that can bring the same success here.
    Breaking the rules! Boooo!
    Zeus wrote:

=Z=

digital420 is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    Regarding #2, what FAs are you thinking of? Or for that matter, what teams would you look to trade Harvin to. It is too easy to be vague.

But I am intrigued by your third point. Basically draft BPA regardless of need? There is something to be said about that. It takes a few years to fill out a roster, but eventually it can work. The downside is if you are repeatedly picking in the same spot you will tend to have a lot of recycling at the same position, like Detroit did at WR for pretty much the entire Millen era.
    we've spent 2 years now drafting based on specific positions in mind, players that fit said position + character. if we now shift that to BV (best value) player, we should pick up 2 maybe 3 starters. we have enouf positions where they would be able to fight for a starting job, or @ least use 4-5 as high quality depth with starting in the coming year/years.

as for #2. it would all be based on PH, do we keep him, or take what I could trade PH for. he's worth a lot, and if i can't get elite for elite.. and i get 1 or2 to studs and varied draft pics. (feeding into #3). if I was to get say a WR/LB outa the deal, then in FA i'm looking for OL, DT, CB, S. of which, I think there will be some names available that are top dollar, and we'll have the space to get them. as far as names, that would come up @ the end of the season when overall evaluations are handed in.

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast