Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Prophet Guest

if good then bad

Why do many people have the 'if good then bad' mentality for the Vikings' players?

If Brad Johnson is good then Daunte Culpepper is bad.

If Mewelde Moore is good then Michael Bennett is bad.

Some focus on Culpeppers horrible season this year prior to his injury. It was obviously horrid, but was it because he is a bad QB or was it due to something else?

Some say MeMo is a hero when he is an average RB. Calling MB a waste when he gets <5 carries and doesn't produce is ridiculous.

The Vikings are fortunate to have a solid backup QB when DC went down. The Vikings are also fortunate to have a decent RB corps when the starter was booted for the season.

Del Rio Guest

Re: if good then bad

Because people don't put effort into trying to understand what is going on with the big picture.

People imagine athletes in a bubble where they bring the same talent the same emotion the same energy to each and every game. They don't think about what goes on in practice.

Some people and I should say SOME people during this whole response because obviously not everyone feels that way. Some people look at players just as if they were looking at their roster on Madden.

You have to approach the issues carefully, you need to try and understand what goes into a game of football.

In addition to that the NFL wants you to attacth yourself to certain players. It starts with the draft, a huge epic explosion of publicity and hype and some fans attatch themselves with the names. That attatchment makes it hard to approach the issues honestly and without bias.

Instead of trying to find an answer they thry to find information to support the answer they have already invented.

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Yah i've noticed that too.. It gets on my nerves..

People need to look at the big picture like Del said.. They just look at stats alot and figure they are bad.. I used to do this alot but then I started paying attention to the lines and everything else that is going on..

It is a team sport and if most of the team doesn't do thier job it affects others as well..

Gift is offline Coordinator

"Del Rio" wrote:
    In addition to that the NFL wants you to attacth yourself to certain players. It starts with the draft, a huge epic explosion of publicity and hype and some fans attatch themselves with the names. That attatchment makes it hard to approach the issues honestly and without bias.
    This statement is how I've always felt regarding C-Pep. Never was that good, great supporting cast, tons of hype & finally we get to see the truth this year and still tons of people think/want him back next year.
    http://www.purplepride.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6169&dateline=1318052  159

jimmymac is offline Pro-Bowler

"Gift" wrote:
    "Del Rio" wrote:
    This statement is how I've always felt regarding C-Pep. Never was that good, great supporting cast, tons of hype & finally we get to see the truth this year and still tons of people think/want him back next year.
    Watch out GIFT, anyone that says Culpepper "never was that good" will be tarred, feathered and accused of being a troll and a Packer-fan.

But I agree with you :lol:
    -- Sarcasm always turned on --

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

because most cannot think of anything smart to say other than 'he sucks.' and then when you ask them why they think that you get 'oh well he just does.'
    We're bringing purple back.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"jimmymac" wrote:
    "Gift" wrote:
    "Del Rio" wrote:
    Watch out GIFT, anyone that says Culpepper "never was that good" will be tarred, feathered and accused of being a troll and a Packer-fan.

Not everyone...just you. :razz:

The way you make you case is lacking any support and is not thought out. Thast is why is gets torched by the members.

Now, Caine or Del could make any argument they want...because they can back it up; even if they do not really believe in what they are writing. I have come back at you with facts that you chose to ignore.

Del Rio Guest

"jimmymac" wrote:
    "Gift" wrote:
    "Del Rio" wrote:

The thing is a lot of Vikings fans do not like him. They just don't feel the need to tell the world every 25 seconds :grin:

I think you make valid points when you try to do so. The fact that you know all about Roy High School makes it ok in my book. Glad Jim didn't play when I did we may have lost to Roy.

jimmymac is offline Pro-Bowler

"Del Rio" wrote:
    The thing is a lot of Vikings fans do not like him. They just don't feel the need to tell the world every 25 seconds :grin:

I think you make valid points when you try to do so. The fact that you know all about Roy High School makes it ok in my book. Glad Jim didn't play when I did we may have lost to Roy.
    Well, I had to say it ever 25 seconds because the Culpepper Lovers were trying to censor any anti-Culpepper opinions that were expressed. Now it has turned around and I don't see as many Culpepper lovers.

Roy High -- I'd still get lost in that place. It's a maze.
    -- Sarcasm always turned on --

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

I still love Culpepper...I admit that he needs some serious work on the mental part of his game...but I still love him as our QB once he gets healthy. I will qualify that by saying that if he doesn't come back with a much better understanding of how to read defenses and take what they will give him rather than forcing plays then he will be of little use to us in our quest to win it all. But I don't want the Vikes to panic and try to trade him and then draft a QB next year...that would set us back even further...better to stick with BJ next year and bring Culpepper back either later in the season OR let him fully heal and come back in the 2007 season...a long sabbatical if you will. Hopefully, by then, he will have a much better understanding of the mental part of the game and will be ready to step back in and lead the offense to a Super Bowl. But I'm not giving up on him just yet.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast