Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    The issue is not Fraiser.... its the roster. Realistically he has been coach for about 16 games and is 7-9 as a coach. The person to blame for the roster is Spielman and his crap. Plenty of defense... no offense. He actually thought Jerome Simpson was a #1. WTF
    Unlike all the doom and gloomers here, I don't think we are in a shit storm. Look at all the improvement we made in one year, the only year that Spielman has been our GM. I don't know how the triangle of authority worked by I do know that they had input, and the only draft that Spielman has done, he has done very well in.

Just because Simpson was our acquisition doesn't mean that Rick thought he was a true #1, just that he was the best on the market, and he was. Next year we are going to get some serious WR help and hopefully lock Harvin down to a long contract to finish off his career with AP hear. He is going to need some serious convincing though.

I can't believe everyone is ready to give up on a QB after 1 year. If he's still giving us games like this next year after we get him somebody to throw to then yah, we are going to have to go in a different direction.

I see a lot of people on here suggesting that we get Alex Smith. You do realize that SF wanted to dump Smith for years, right? And you want to dump Ponder after one. Luck and RG3 are once in a generation QBs and we missed out on the opportunity to get either of them when we won that Redskins game last year, which I was unhappy about.
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by skum View Post
    Getting 6 wins so far from a 3 win team does not merit a firing.
    You do realize that that 3 win team was Frazier's team also, don't you?

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Quote Originally Posted by 12purplepride28 View Post
    Just because Simpson was our acquisition doesn't mean that Rick thought he was a true #1, just that he was the best on the market, and he was.
    You actually believe Simpson is better than Braylon Edwards? Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Anderson View Post
    Cowher without LeBeau? Without the Rooneys and Colbert? I'll pass.

Andy Reid without Jim Johnson? Absolutely not, no way.
    So what you're saying is...

Frazier>Cowher

Frazier>Reid

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by purple pain View Post
    I vote for Bill Cowher!
    Flawed premise. 6-6 - hell 6-10 is not going to get Frazier fired.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

MaxVike is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Just because Simpson was our acquisition doesn't mean that Rick thought he was a true #1, just that he was the best on the market, and he was.
    You actually believe Simpson is better than Braylon Edwards? Wow!
    Flip a coin, they both suck.

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

kingpin9995 is offline Starter
    Unlike all the doom and gloomers here, I don't think we are in a shit storm. Look at all the improvement we made in one year, the only year that Spielman has been our GM. I don't know how the triangle of authority worked by I do know that they had input, and the only draft that Spielman has done, he has done very well in.

Just because Simpson was our acquisition doesn't mean that Rick thought he was a true #1, just that he was the best on the market, and he was. Next year we are going to get some serious WR help and hopefully lock Harvin down to a long contract to finish off his career with AP hear. He is going to need some serious convincing though.

I can't believe everyone is ready to give up on a QB after 1 year. If he's still giving us games like this next year after we get him somebody to throw to then yah, we are going to have to go in a different direction.

I see a lot of people on here suggesting that we get Alex Smith. You do realize that SF wanted to dump Smith for years, right? And you want to dump Ponder after one. Luck and RG3 are once in a generation QBs and we missed out on the opportunity to get either of them when we won that Redskins game last year, which I was unhappy about.
    If it is not obvious to you that Ponder is no starting quaterback in the NFL then you definitely have purple shades on. Teams after the first quarter of the season have exposed Ponder for what he is. The scouting report on him was right on .

Scout.com quotes: Isn’t overly aware of pass rushers and will take the kind of shots that are turnovers in the NFL…Took almost every snap out of the shotgun and will need a lot of refinement…Too often had just one read and locked on him constantly…Will look awful at times when consistently pressured…
    PROJECTION: Ponder is a player who could go in the second round or drop well into Day 3...Lack of throwing velocity he has on deep balls and a history of throwing arm problems are all red flags

It is so obvious that the first thing you need in an NFL quaterback is a throwing arm that can make NFL throws. Ponder obviously does not have that. Even early on this year all he could complete is short dump passes and short passes on the perimeter. Musgrave does not even let him throw the ball down the middle if you notice, and when he does it's usually a pick or poor pass. Weak armed qbs don't last long in the NFL and Ponder has one of them. Teams realize this and defend the flats and dare him to throw the ball down field which HE CAN'T DO with any consistency. He's BEEN EXPOSED and it's not going to change. If Ponder cannot succeed with 9 in the box and no deep safety in man to man, HE NEVER WILL SUCCEED. Over the last 6 games Peterson has averaged more yards per carry then Ponder has yards per completion... Did you read that? And you are telling me he's starting NFL material in this league? WAKE UP.

As for Frasier the game has passed by this dummy. It's not 1985, you can't win in this league as a running team. Peterson over the last 6 games has close 965 yards rushing and over 100 yards in every game, and the Vikings have lost 5 OF THEM... In 1985 that meant wins, today it matters nothing to have a 100 rusher in regards to winning.

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    So what you're saying is...

Frazier>Cowher

Frazier>Reid
    Not exactly ... well maybe, probably not though. I'm saying it's not worth the risk of dismantling a coaching staff for guys who are unproven without their supporting ownership group, front office and Hall of Fame coordinators. Especially not when this team has so clearly taken steps forward.

Honestly, what has Andy Reid done since the death of Jim Johnson? He's had more talent to work with than ever before, and is putting his worst product ever on the field. Fourteen years in Philadelphia. One Super Bowl Appearance. Zero wins. It took him seven years to get to that Super Bowl and it's been seven years since. How much time are you willing to give him?

Bill Cowher, is probably a better head coach than Frazier. But I don't know why. Personality? Look at what happened to the Steelers when Dick LeBeau left from 1998 to 2003. They had two playoff appearances during that period. Like Reid, Cowher had all kinds of time to win in Pittsburgh. It took him 14 seasons to finally get a ring. Then what happened? A new coach took over after the following season, won a Super Bowl and went back again 2 seasons later. The common factor? Dick LeBeau and the Rooneys.

Frazier has faced a lot of adversity in his first few years as a head coach. He took over a locker room full of mediocre and aging players who didn't trust the guy in charge before him(and rightfully so.) There are only 4 offensive and 4 defensive starters left from the 2010 team which Frazier took control and he's only had one off-season to work with them. He took them from 6-10(3-7 of that was Childress) to 3-13 following the lockout, with a rookie QB and much of the roster shakeup mentioned above. He's now 6-6 after 12 games in his second full season. The team will likely finish under .500, but still defied the expectations of everyone around the league, the media and the fans.

Why shouldn't Frazier get even a quarter of the time it took Cowher and Reid to win a Super Bowl?

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    Frazier has faced a lot of adversity in his first few years as a head coach. He took over a locker room full of mediocre and aging players who didn't trust the guy in charge before him(and rightfully so.) There are only 4 offensive and 4 defensive starters left from the 2010 team which Frazier took control and he's only had one off-season to work with them. He took them from 6-10(3-7 of that was Childress) to 3-13 following the lockout, with a rookie QB and much of the roster shakeup mentioned above. He's now 6-6 after 12 games in his second full season. The team will likely finish under .500, but still defied the expectations of everyone around the league, the media and the fans.

Why shouldn't Frazier get even a quarter of the time it took Cowher and Reid to win a Super Bowl?
    You make very good points, but one has to ask how quickly New England, San Francisco, New Orleans, and Atlanta improved under their current head coaches. Cower and Reid were handcuffed for years by stingy front offices, so we have to know how stingy the Vikings front office will be.

You also do not consider that the 6-10 and 3-13 teams were put together by the same Vikings front office and many of the same coaches. This defense is Frazier's product inside and out, and he selected an offensive coordinator who had the same run-first philosophy as Childress had. Only Brett Favre and his many audibles saved the Vikings from the KAO and its archaic offensive philosophy, and even that failed when the Vikings did not see that they lacked depth at almost every position on the offensive line.

Frazier has had time; he had time as the defensive coordinator, which was not great, and time as a head coach, which is also not great. He has yet to show that he has the ability to be anything but a mediocre coach in the NFL. Many coaches can take an all-pro team to the Superbowl. Only a few can make a good team great. The book is still out on Frazier, but the cover is falling off, and the pages are yellowed and wormy.

smegmavike is offline Coordinator

It can be said Frazier has had some issues with in game management at times but I see some real positives with regard to his coaching.
    I never saw his players give up. I've seen them come in flat and get tired at times, but he has been able to keep the locker room together despite the GM giving him some inferior players.
    Frazier has a good rapport with the players, and though not a great head coach yet, has a calm steadying influence.
    I think he has earned another year. Wont say the same for the GM or OC.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast