Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

If Christian Ponder Doesnt Pan Out...

I think it's safe to say when Webb took over in the playoffs that number didn't trend upward.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    Those stats were how far the ball traveled in the air whether they were caught or not?

One way or the other we are still talking less than 2 per game per year in nearly a decade. That seems low to me.
    Yes, it's how far the ball traveled in the air whether they were caught or not because we are talking about taking those long shots.

Taking less than 2 per game is low to me too, but what's even lower is taking less than 1 shot per game.

I seem to remember when we drafted Kslil that the rubes were saying he would give ponder so much time yo throw the ball and the WRs so much time to run their routes that the passing game would flourish, doesn't seem to be panning out. Maybe they should have done something to fix the QB spot instead.

Ranger is offline Coach
    I like Ponder and think he's a good kid. I think he has talent. He has weapons.

If he has more sub-100 yard games (!!!!!), he can go fuck off in free agency or with some other team. I'm pretty sure Steve DeBerg was tossing more than 100 yards a game with a goddamn cast on his throwing hand, playing Marty ball with the Schott.

Like I said, I'm not closing the book on the kid, but any more sub-100 yard games and I'm done defending him at work.

Ranger is offline Coach
    I'm sure he'll lose a lot of sleep over that threat.

smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    Musgrave seems to play it safe when he knows he can attempt a field goal and doesn't take a lot of chances with Ponder's arm in those situations. To me that seems indicative of a lack of trust by Musgrave.
    The biggest negative for Ponder is his response to pressure. He seems to be that NFL caliber QB when he has time to throw, but makes poor choices when pressured.
    That should improve with better pass blocking, better receivers, and more experience reading defenses.
    But right now he is a QB that can be rattled.
    The best NFL QB's can burn the defense when they blitz. Ponder has yet to reach that level.
    I keep hearing people say he can " make all the throws", so I can only assume the problem is between his ears. If he can remain calm when pressured, I believe he could have a much better year.

SharperImage is offline Hall of Famer
    We are the only team who runs a pure WCO. Bears, Tampa, Seattle, Colts, KC, Arizona, Pitt all run a WCO but they all mix it up with Run N Gun. When Bevell had Favre he had the second offense. When bevell had tjack here and Seattle his offense sucked. He gets russell wilson and his offense is good again. Musgrave needs to let it fly with ponder, and if he doesnt make it, lets move on.

marshallvike is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    I like Ponder and think he's a good kid. I think he has talent. He has weapons.

If he has more sub-100 yard games (!!!!!), he can go fuck off in free agency or with some other team. I'm pretty sure Steve DeBerg was tossing more than 100 yards a game with a goddamn cast on his throwing hand, playing Marty ball with the Schott.

Like I said, I'm not closing the book on the kid, but any more sub-100 yard games and I'm done defending him at work.
    I'm with you on this ranger. I have faith that this will be the season he steps it up. Late last season it looked like he was more comfortable with the speed of the game. He wasn't throwing behind the receivers as has been his way prior to that. Especially throwing on the move. If however he does not come out and show marked improvement, I will jump on the "Start Cassell" bandwagon that will probably be rolling along from the first preseason game on. I do not want to see us wait as many years as it took Eli to finally become a very good QB with the Giants. My personal line in the sand is three seasons to show you've got what it takes. Doesn't mean I am expecting Rodgers numbers out of him, but much better leadership than his career so far.
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    I think it's safe to say when Webb took over in the playoffs that number didn't trend upward.
    He did take 11 deep shots in that game. I'm not sure how many were over 30 yards, but at least 1 was.

As bad as Webb played in that game he still threw more TD passes from outside the redzone, than Ponder did all year.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Blog Entries
    He did take 11 deep shots in that game. I'm not sure how many were over 30 yards, but at least 1 was.

As bad as Webb played in that game he still threw more TD passes from outside the redzone, than Ponder did all year.
    Well, if that is what you are looking for in a QB then hell, he is your man. I think you can still buy his jersey.

OTOH I find it interesting how much hate you have for Ponder- Did he steal your woman or what?

I understand you went don fighting for the Honor of Jackson and all and that blew up but Ponder, while he may never end up being a franchise QB, is still better than he was and you can spend your days digging for stats to try to make Ponder look as bad as you can while you spend the same time trying to find stats to make Jackson look better than he was but in the end Ponder is still better than Jackson ever was and he may need to be replaced at some point this year but that still doesn't change that fact.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

LOL

Webb's deep shot consisted of completely blown coverage to Jenkins for a walk-in TD. Let's talk instead about all the missed throws in the 5-20 yard range that were so far off the mark starting with the one on the first drive that stalled inside the redzone.

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast