Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 137
  1. #41
    JPPT1974's Avatar
    JPPT1974 is offline Starter
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    241
    Ponder needs to produce. As the team can't rely upon Adrian Peterson to carry the load all the time, every single time. It is on Ponder also to pull his weight. Just needs to find his rhythem.
    NFL 2013 is Here!

  2. #42
    kevoncox's Avatar
    kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,853
    There are so many issues with stats and that's why I hate to post them. For instance, Ponder was near the top in TD passes in the Redzone. That can be read that he doesn't throw many that go longer than 20 yards. So a QB of similar TD numbers as him (18 i think) lost out to him because they had a few 30 yarders, a 50 and 60 yarder. Of course he comes out smelling like roses because the guys infront of him have thrown for 24+ tds and the 6 or so deep ball TDs that are taken away from this redzone stat aren't enough to place them past the none deep ball completing offense we run.

    We should also add that Ponder has AD in the redzone, so teams are expecting the run, which makes the PA pass so simple to complete.
    When it's all said and done, lets not proclaim, him king of the redzone just yet.

  3. #43
    kevoncox's Avatar
    kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,853
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    One has to be careful on how those stats are used/interpreted. First off, Ponders average pass inside the 20 was 3 yards with his longest being 9 yards. Secondly, just because he ranked 6th for completions inside the 20 doesnt make him better. If he throws 3-4 completions in the red zone before they score a TD or have to kick a FG & other QBs throw 1 or 2 passes & there in, how does that make Ponder a better QB?. It doesnt. It just means he completed 44 passes in the red zone out of 75 attempts (59%).

    But youre going to say, But what about Ponder tieing for 8th with 18 redzone TDs? . Again, a lot of other QBs may have fewer within the redzone due to the fact they score their TDs from outside of the redzone. That is why when it comes to number of TDs thrown, Ponder ranks 23rd amongst all QBs with 18 while the top 12 threw between 26 & 43 TDs.

    What Scout also fails to mention, as do you, is how Ponder ranks for TDs thrown from outside the redzone. Can you say Dead Fucking Last? Ponder threw 18 TDs last year. According to Scout.com all 18 were from within the redzone, 14 of those 18 came from within the 10 yard line. That means 0, not 1 was thrown from outside the redzone, including any of the 3 40+ yarders you like to brag about went for a TD.

    Youre right, by bringing up the TDs Ponder threw inside the 20 & ignoring TDs thrown outside the redzone, his article is skewed on the youngster.
    Very accurate. Summed up almost everything I wanted to say.
    Its' like the ELI comparison. His division was brutal his first 2 years and s what their schedule ( AFC North)
    We have played the easier of several conferences (depleted afc south)
    Last edited by kevoncox; 07-03-2013 at 08:27 PM.

  4. #44
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,212
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    I just want to see us take more shots at the end zone once we get inside the 50 and to the 35. It seems for years we see teams doing that sort of thing and for the one year brett was here he would do it but other than that we get past the 50 then try to run the ball, stall out inside the 30 once the defense tightens up and then settle for the FG.

    For the love of god when you cross the 45 take one shot down the sidelines to give the defense something to think about.
    Marrdro will tell you we don't do that because we are a WCO team (even though we did it with Favre) and are a dink & dunk team only. Ergo, he thinks Ponder's the guy because he's highly accurate under 10 yards & that's all we need.

    What he fails to realize is that a QB who can throw more accurately than Ponder above 10 yards, can also throw pretty damn accurately below 10 yards as well. With a QB that can do both, options are wide open to throw short, mid-range or deep. With a QB like Ponder, you're limited to a much shorter pass with any kind of accuracy.

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  5. #45
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,212
    Ron Jaworski Doesnt Think Much of Christian Ponder

    Ponder needs to make significant improvements as a pocket passer. Surprisingly, with Adrian Peterson in the backfield, he was not efficient off play-action. Ponder also had a tendency to be a beat late with his throws. At this point, he doesnt see the whole field with clarity and that led to too many throws into the teeth of the coverage.

    And he must execute versus the blitz much better than he did in 2012.

    You know what statistic really bothered me? Ponder had only 28 completions of 20 yards or more by far the fewest of any 16-game starter
    Ron Jaworski Doesn't Think Much of Christian Ponder - The Viking Age - A Minnesota Vikings Fan Site - News, Blogs, Opinion and more.

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  6. #46
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Marrdro will tell you we don't do that because we are a WCO team (even though we did it with Favre) and are a dink & dunk team only. Ergo, he thinks Ponder's the guy because he's highly accurate under 10 yards & that's all we need.

    What he fails to realize is that a QB who can throw more accurately than Ponder above 10 yards, can also throw pretty damn accurately below 10 yards as well. With a QB that can do both, options are wide open to throw short, mid-range or deep. With a QB like Ponder, you're limited to a much shorter pass with any kind of accuracy.
    How is Ponder the only QB you brought up? You could have named your homeboy TJ, Brad Johnson or any other QB we have had under center since Culpepper with the exception of Brett. Other than him we have had NO QB who has been taking shots like that since what, 2005? Think of that- nearly a damn decade of futility. That is not caused by Ponder. It may be a flag he has picked up and carried but it is either a product of a FO philosophy or a failure of the FO to address it. Jackson had a very strong arm but still didn't take shots because he had no accuracy and no ability to properly read a defense and put the ball where it needed to be. McNabb had a very strong arm but still threw worm burners in our system.

  7. #47
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1
    That was a pretty accurate break down. That better be fixed already or he will not be long for the team.

  8. #48
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,212
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    How is Ponder the only QB you brought up? You could have named your homeboy TJ, Brad Johnson or any other QB we have had under center since Culpepper with the exception of Brett. Other than him we have had NO QB who has been taking shots like that since what, 2005? Think of that- nearly a damn decade of futility. That is not caused by Ponder. It may be a flag he has picked up and carried but it is either a product of a FO philosophy or a failure of the FO to address it. Jackson had a very strong arm but still didn't take shots because he had no accuracy and no ability to properly read a defense and put the ball where it needed to be. McNabb had a very strong arm but still threw worm burners in our system.
    1. I was keeping it recent
    2. Because Ponder has thrown significantly less passes over 30 yards than any of our previous QBs like the ones you mentioned. But if you want to go there......

    Passes thrown over 30 yards;

    2006: Johnson took 27 shots over 30 yards in 15 games or 1.8 per game

    2007: Jackson took 20 shots over 30 yards in 12 games or 1.7 per game

    2009: Favre took 23 shots over 30 yards in 16 games or 1.4 per game

    2011: McNabb took 11 shots over 30 yards in 6 games or 1.8 per game

    2012: Ponder took 11 shots over 30 yards in 16 games or 0.7 per game

    So actually, Johnson, Jackson & McNabb took more shots over 30 yards per game than Favre did.

    The point is, with Ponder, the Vikings took significantly less. 0.7 attempts of 30+ yards per game. 1/2 or more less than what Favre or the others took. The worm burner as you call him, took just as man 30+ yard shots in 6 games, than Ponder did in 16.
    Last edited by singersp; 07-04-2013 at 09:06 AM.

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  9. #49
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1
    Those stats were how far the ball traveled in the air whether they were caught or not?

    One way or the other we are still talking less than 2 per game per year in nearly a decade. That seems low to me.

  10. #50
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,212
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    Those stats were how far the ball traveled in the air whether they were caught or not?

    One way or the other we are still talking less than 2 per game per year in nearly a decade. That seems low to me.
    Yes, it's how far the ball traveled in the air whether they were caught or not because we are talking about taking those long shots.

    Taking less than 2 per game is low to me too, but what's even lower is taking less than 1 shot per game.

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •