Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: If......

scottishvike is offline Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Traveling_Vike View Post
    I tend to be very cautious and conservative when making those kinds of guesses. Just me, but I guess I would rather be a little pessimistic and proven wrong and be happy, rather than too optimistic and constantly disappointed.
    I thought that was what being a Viking fan is all about.

Back on topic I don't think having Ponder from the start would have made much difference to the record, unless he has superman like ability playing in the secondary.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    The Vikings had resisted the urge to trade for that washed up has been and went into the season by throwing that poor rookie to the Wolves, what do you think our record would be right now after seeing both of them play? I have to believe he wins us at least some of the games we lost by not falling apart in the second half and the team would have played harder knowing the QB wasn't going to let them down( Or at least had a chance to bring them back)

With Ponder playing all year I would have them at 4-4 right now.

Opinions?

And you wanted them to start Ponder based on what? His tryout?

Certainly you wouldn't want them to start him based on anything he did at FSU, because his ability to throw on the run, make quick decisions, use his feet to extend plays, his accuracy, his arm strength, his poise & his ability to think quickly all changed (according to you) the moment he was drafted.

So, IYO, since any tape of him at FSU would be worthless & without anything else to base his abilities on, what would prompt the Vikings not to grab a vet during free agency & start Ponder day 1?

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    And you wanted them to start Ponder based on what? His tryout?

Certainly you wouldn't want them to start him based on anything he did at FSU, because his ability to throw on the run, make quick decisions, use his feet to extend plays, his accuracy, his arm strength, his poise & his ability to think quickly all changed (according to you) the moment he was drafted.

So, IYO, since any tape of him at FSU would be worthless & without anything else to base his abilities on, what would prompt the Vikings not to grab a vet during free agency & start Ponder day 1?
    Well, I read your analysis of how fast he was at the age of 2 in his huggies and decided that was just what we need.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Well, I read your analysis of how fast he was at the age of 2 in his huggies and decided that was just what we need.
    Sorry, I didn't analyze him at the age of 2 or the 6 grade or at anytime he was at FSU, but go ahead & avoid the question with yet another cutesy reply.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman
    The Vikings had resisted the urge to trade for that washed up has been and went into the season by throwing that poor rookie to the Wolves, what do you think our record would be right now after seeing both of them play? I have to believe he wins us at least some of the games we lost by not falling apart in the second half and the team would have played harder knowing the QB wasn't going to let them down( Or at least had a chance to bring them back)

With Ponder playing all year I would have them at 4-4 right now.

Opinions?
    We don't know that for sure. He was quoted as saying that the game is still going pretty fast for him at the beginning of the season. We may have ruined him by playing him too fast . No one knows what would have happened. I for one am happy that we waited and let him learn for a little while.

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

thorshammer is offline Asst. Coach
    I honestly think we would have more wins than we do today ..... Not sure how many but I definitely think we would have at minimum another win or so ..... Ponder proved he can convert third downs instead of throwing the ball into the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    Good question.

I am sure that young Ponder would have made mistakes, starting with the Chargers game that could have cost us games, but the reverse is, he might have learned from those mistakes, to the point that he wouldn't have made the ones he did against the PUKERS.

My guess, atleast 1, possibly 2 more wins.

What is even more interesting is, what, if any, impact will the lack of starts have on the rest of the season.

He sure seems to be poised, knows were to go with the ball and can make the offensive plays when we need them. I for one am looking forward to watching, not only the rest of the season, but his whole career.

On a side note, I wonder what this team would be like if we would have paid TJ and Rice and let young Ponder sit on the bench for a couple three years.

I wholeheartedly agree with that assessment. Winning more than two more games is a stretch. Considering our secondary/linebacker woes, two more wins is all I can give him.

On a side note, I am very pleased with his third down decision making and conversion rate. This is something we were badly missing in the first part of the season under Donny. I don't believe that all falls on Donny based on limited to no off season...timing issues and the like. Progress is what is needed with Ponder and so far it's looking good my friends.
    I bet you could use a cool one huh Clark...Now you're talkin Eddie...

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by battleaxe4cheese View Post
    I wholeheartedly agree with that assessment. Winning more than two more games is a stretch. Considering our secondary/linebacker woes, two more wins is all I can give him.

On a side note, I am very pleased with his third down decision making and conversion rate. This is something we were badly missing in the first part of the season under Donny. I don't believe that all falls on Donny based on limited to no off season...timing issues and the like. Progress is what is needed with Ponder and so far it's looking good my friends.
    Good stuff my friend. Take it one step further........

Lets say he helped us to atleast 1 more win. We'd be 3-5 going into the softest part of our schedule.

GB - I say we upset them this week - Win
    Oak - Win
    Atlanta - Tough one, they are starting to get consistent. Loss
    Denver - Win
    Detroit - Just picked up a RB. Loss
    Ain'ts - Like Atlanta, not very consistent. We get a win on one of them. - Win
    Deadskins - Win
    Bores - Who shows up. And do they need a win. My guess, we beat them regardless - Win

That'd make us 9-7. Not to far off from my guess of 10-6/11-5. The good thing is, he is under center now and we are only gonna see him get better.

Don't get me wrong, he is gonna mess up. All of them do. Problem is, those messups would be alot less going into the second half if he would have been given a chance to learn a bit from those messups from the early part of the season.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Mk1 View Post
    The Seahawks?
    LOL, well played.

Hey, have you seen what TJ and that kid, you know Baldwin, the undrafted one, have been doing together.

Catches, yards, avg, TD
    Baldwin 28, 234, 15.5, 2 (Half year of stats)

Almost could be said that TJ is making Baldwin into a good reciever. Wasn't the same said about the Noodle and Percy?

Catches, yards, avg, TD
    Percy 60, 790, 13.2, 6 (full rookie year with the Noodle)

Heck, one could almost argue that TJ and Percy would have had a better year, based on what he is doing with Baldwin, if you compare Percies stats from this year so far with Baldwins.

Catches, yards, avg, TD
    Percy 31, 334, 10.8, 0

Long story short, the crowd that were all jazzed about TJ leaving, might have just missed the mark my friend, especially considering what the likes of Dnabb has done with this team so far.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Yes, getting McNabb was a mistake. Letting Jackson go was not.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast