Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If......

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

If......

The Vikings had resisted the urge to trade for that washed up has been and went into the season by throwing that poor rookie to the Wolves, what do you think our record would be right now after seeing both of them play? I have to believe he wins us at least some of the games we lost by not falling apart in the second half and the team would have played harder knowing the QB wasn't going to let them down( Or at least had a chance to bring them back)

With Ponder playing all year I would have them at 4-4 right now.

Opinions?

12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries
    16-0. Right now.
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Good question.

I am sure that young Ponder would have made mistakes, starting with the Chargers game that could have cost us games, but the reverse is, he might have learned from those mistakes, to the point that he wouldn't have made the ones he did against the PUKERS.

My guess, atleast 1, possibly 2 more wins.

What is even more interesting is, what, if any, impact will the lack of starts have on the rest of the season.

He sure seems to be poised, knows were to go with the ball and can make the offensive plays when we need them. I for one am looking forward to watching, not only the rest of the season, but his whole career.

On a side note, I wonder what this team would be like if we would have paid TJ and Rice and let young Ponder sit on the bench for a couple three years.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Traveling_Vike is offline Coordinator
    Despite his mediocre performances, McNabb was not the reason we lost ANY of those games. It's possible that Ponder might have won us one, or even two of those, but the rest of the team would have needed to step up along with him.

Don't get me wrong, I like the kid a lot and am happy with what I have seen from him so far, but I honestly doubt it would have made much difference. There were too many other problems with this team, and many of them still exist.

The Vikings are still only one game behind where I had them in my pre-season prediction, and my final record had them finishing 8-8. At that time, I had no idea when or if we'd see Ponder, so I had to look at other factors. Either way, I saw a slow start and a fast finish. I still hope and expect to see that.

But as much as I do like Ponder, I am not building any shrines just yet. He may yet cost us a game that we might otherwise have won. After all, he is still a rookie with no off-season to work from. I hope not, but it may happen.

We will live through it either way, and he can only benefit from the experience.

My Meeple is purple. What color is yours?

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by Traveling_Vike View Post
    Despite his mediocre performances, McNabb was not the reason we lost ANY of those games. It's possible that Ponder might have won us one, or even two of those, but the rest of the team would have needed to step up along with him.

Don't get me wrong, I like the kid a lot and am happy with what I have seen from him so far, but I honestly doubt it would have made much difference. There were too many other problems with this team, and many of them still exist.

The Vikings are still only one game behind where I had them in my pre-season prediction, and my final record had them finishing 8-8. At that time, I had no idea when or if we'd see Ponder, so I had to look at other factors. Either way, I saw a slow start and a fast finish. I still hope and expect to see that.

But as much as I do like Ponder, I am not building any shrines just yet. He may yet cost us a game that we might otherwise have won. After all, he is still a rookie with no off-season to work from. I hope not, but it may happen.

We will live through it either way, and he can only benefit from the experience.
    Of course he is gonna cost us games. Guess what, it won't be just this year either. QB's do it.

However, coma,

If Dnabb would have completed a pass here or there in any one of those games were we needed to extend the drive, burn the clock, keep our defense (and their offense) off the field we would have won a couple of those games.

Judging by the way young Ponder plays on 3rd downs, I don't think its a big stretch to say we would have won a couple of them.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Traveling_Vike View Post

I agree with you to an extent, but what I see is that his third down completion percentage alone may have been enough to keep us from blowing the lead in the first 3 games alone. At this point I in no way see him as the guy who takes the team on his shoulders and carries them to victory like Kirby Puckett could, but I also feel that the whole team plays more confidently with him because he has shown he can make a throw when he needs to and that type of thing can elevate a whole team to look better.

But yes, he still cannot be on defense stopping teams from torching our secondary and he cannot be on ST making a TD saving tackle on Hester. But what he can do just may have been enough a few times to make the difference.

Traveling_Vike is offline Coordinator
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    I agree with you to an extent, but what I see is that his third down completion percentage alone may have been enough to keep us from blowing the lead in the first 3 games alone. At this point I in no way see him as the guy who takes the team on his shoulders and carries them to victory like Kirby Puckett could, but I also feel that the whole team plays more confidently with him because he has shown he can make a throw when he needs to and that type of thing can elevate a whole team to look better.

But yes, he still cannot be on defense stopping teams from torching our secondary and he cannot be on ST making a TD saving tackle on Hester. But what he can do just may have been enough a few times to make the difference.
    No argument from me on any of that. It's just really hard to play the "what if" game, because you can't ever really know for certain.

It's possible Ponder might have helped us win those early games, Then again, maybe the coaches were right and he wasn't ready yet, and would have gone into the tank and taken the team with him. Unless you have a time machine and can go back to change things, no one will ever know.

I tend to be very cautious and conservative when making those kinds of guesses. Just me, but I guess I would rather be a little pessimistic and proven wrong and be happy, rather than too optimistic and constantly disappointed.

My Meeple is purple. What color is yours?

MulletMullitia is offline PP.O Ambassador
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    The Vikings had resisted the urge to trade for that washed up has been and went into the season by throwing that poor rookie to the Wolves, what do you think our record would be right now after seeing both of them play? I have to believe he wins us at least some of the games we lost by not falling apart in the second half and the team would have played harder knowing the QB wasn't going to let them down( Or at least had a chance to bring them back)

With Ponder playing all year I would have them at 4-4 right now.

Opinions?
    Assuming that our abomination of an offensive line didn't get him hurt to this point, I would agree with your 4-4. Not that he is superman already. But rookie momentum goes a long way. Look at Andy Dalton. Dalton will never be better than an average NFL QB, and he is leading his team to a 5-2 start and a crazy hype-train. With no supporting cast, Christian and AP would be very capable of leading us to 4-4 with the help of a man possessed / quiet DPOY candidate Jared Allen. I'm on board your Ponder Bandwagon, Mr. Floyd, and I'm riding shotgun

Sorry Rick! Keep up the good work.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Hard to say considering we would have still been starting Berrian in most of those games.

Would we have won Sunday if Berrian had started?

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Purple Mk1 is offline Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post

On a side note, I wonder what this team would be like if we would have paid TJ and Rice and let young Ponder sit on the bench for a couple three years.
    The Seahawks?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast