Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 86
  1. #11
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,204

    Re: I would say the possible Booty/TJack QB controversy is over.

    "Zeus" wrote:
    "happy" wrote:
    There WAS a chance of a QB controversy. Not from the coaches side but from the fans side and the media. I'm fully certain the coaches were going to stick with Jackson regardless but immediately after Booty was drafted, many people (not I) thought Booty was going to take over immediately. Why? I have no idea.
    There's only controversy if the coach allows there to be.
    And Childress has been saying Tarvaris was the starter since the moment last season ended.

    I don't look at media-contrived BS as controversy as anything but an effort to sell papers, get ratings or drive people to your blog.

    =Z=
    Here's the threads that were discussing it.

    http://www.purplepride.org/forums/index.php?topic=44481.0

    http://www.purplepride.org/forums/index.php?topic=44556.0

    http://www.purplepride.org/forums/index.php?topic=45517.0

    There was also talk of it going on in this thread;

    http://www.purplepride.org/forums/index.php?topic=44657.20

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  2. #12
    hx38596's Avatar
    hx38596 is offline Pro-Bowler
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    456

    Re: I would say the possible Booty/TJack QB controversy is over.

    "misplacedminnesotan" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "misplacedminnesotan" wrote:
    The second after Booty was drafted there was a buzz that he might take over the reigns beating Jackson out of the job.
    The misguided thought was bred from the thought that because Booty came from a "real school" that he would be ready for high-end competition.
    Well he has shown anything of note playing against the scrubs of the opposite team.

    Now the pro-Booty argument is that it was his first couple of starts, and we shouldn't expect too much of him.
    But if I recall TJacks first few starts in the preseason created such a buzz that these propelled him to start at the end of the 06 season.
    Not dogging you, MM, but I would say that anyone who thought there was the slightest chance of a QB controversy doesn't know a gol 'darnit thing about pro football.

    =Z=
    When Booty was first drafted there was
    one or two media guys
    that made the impression that the reason for Booty wanting to come to the Vikings was because it was his best shot for a starting job.
    They mentioned this because the QB position was so weak (in their words).
    Then they made mention of the larger school that Booty was at compared to Jackson, and so on.
    I'm just happy that a guy that I have a lot of hope in is doing very well.


    So I don't take offense as this wasn't directed to anyone on this board, more a bit of smugness on my part toward some media guys (don't ask me their names I can't remember).
    You say this like 'media guys' know much about football...

  3. #13
    Zeus's Avatar
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Minnesota.
    Posts
    23,937

    Re: I would say the possible Booty/TJack QB controversy is over.

    "singersp" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "happy" wrote:
    There WAS a chance of a QB controversy. Not from the coaches side but from the fans side and the media. I'm fully certain the coaches were going to stick with Jackson regardless but immediately after Booty was drafted, many people (not I) thought Booty was going to take over immediately. Why? I have no idea.
    There's only controversy if the coach allows there to be.
    And Childress has been saying Tarvaris was the starter since the moment last season ended.

    I don't look at media-contrived BS as controversy as anything but an effort to sell papers, get ratings or drive people to your blog.

    =Z=
    Here's the threads that were discussing it.

    http://www.purplepride.org/forums/index.php?topic=44481.0

    http://www.purplepride.org/forums/index.php?topic=44556.0

    http://www.purplepride.org/forums/index.php?topic=45517.0

    There was also talk of it going on in this thread;

    http://www.purplepride.org/forums/index.php?topic=44657.20
    And?
    Because PPO has threads that means there's a controversy?

    I don't think we're quite that important yet.

    =Z=

    Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

  4. #14
    Freakout is offline Coordinator
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    844
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: I would say the possible Booty/TJack QB controversy is over.

    To be a little fair JDB isn't exactly working with the 1st or 2nd unit.
    The 4th string offensive line would struggle to block a high school team.
    Still Jackson is without a doubt the man.

  5. #15
    Caine's Avatar
    Caine is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    5,135

    Re: I would say the possible Booty/TJack QB controversy is over.

    "hx38596" wrote:
    "misplacedminnesotan" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "misplacedminnesotan" wrote:
    The second after Booty was drafted there was a buzz that he might take over the reigns beating Jackson out of the job.
    The misguided thought was bred from the thought that because Booty came from a "real school" that he would be ready for high-end competition.
    Well he has shown anything of note playing against the scrubs of the opposite team.

    Now the pro-Booty argument is that it was his first couple of starts, and we shouldn't expect too much of him.
    But if I recall TJacks first few starts in the preseason created such a buzz that these propelled him to start at the end of the 06 season.
    Not dogging you, MM, but I would say that anyone who thought there was the slightest chance of a QB controversy doesn't know a gol 'darnit thing about pro football.

    =Z=
    When Booty was first drafted there was
    one or two media guys
    that made the impression that the reason for Booty wanting to come to the Vikings was because it was his best shot for a starting job.
    They mentioned this because the QB position was so weak (in their words).
    Then they made mention of the larger school that Booty was at compared to Jackson, and so on.
    I'm just happy that a guy that I have a lot of hope in is doing very well.


    So I don't take offense as this wasn't directed to anyone on this board, more a bit of smugness on my part toward some media guys (don't ask me their names I can't remember).
    You say this like 'media guys' know much about football...
    Gotta side with Zues and hx38596 on this one.
    The only "controversy" was in the minds of unimaginative reporters who were desperate for a story and hopeful of finding a completely uneducated audience.

    I have not been a big believer in Jackson (understatement), but even I have never stated that there was a controversy between Jackson and Booty.
    When Favre was a candidate, sure, Favre would have been the guy - no doubt in my mind.
    But without someone of obvious starting caliber coming available (and only Green Bay is stupid enough to dump people like that), there is no one on our roster capable of challanging Jackson for the job.
    Not even Gus.

    Believe me, I'm nervous as sin about how well Jackson will do when it all counts (I don't pay attention to preseason because it means nothing).
    And if he tanks, we're screwed.
    But the only competition he has for the starting job is with himself.
    Booty is at least a year away from being considered, and Gus is a stop-gap guy at best who was brought in to help Jackson develop.


    Caine


  6. #16
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,204

    Re: I would say the possible Booty/TJack QB controversy is over.

    "Zeus" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "happy" wrote:
    There WAS a chance of a QB controversy. Not from the coaches side but from the fans side and the media. I'm fully certain the coaches were going to stick with Jackson regardless but immediately after Booty was drafted, many people (not I) thought Booty was going to take over immediately. Why? I have no idea.
    There's only controversy if the coach allows there to be.
    And Childress has been saying Tarvaris was the starter since the moment last season ended.

    I don't look at media-contrived BS as controversy as anything but an effort to sell papers, get ratings or drive people to your blog.

    =Z=
    Here's the threads that were discussing it.

    http://www.purplepride.org/forums/index.php?topic=44481.0

    http://www.purplepride.org/forums/index.php?topic=44556.0

    http://www.purplepride.org/forums/index.php?topic=45517.0

    There was also talk of it going on in this thread;

    http://www.purplepride.org/forums/index.php?topic=44657.20
    And?
    Because PPO has threads that means there's a controversy?

    I don't think we're quite that important yet.

    =Z=
    The original post was targeted at both the media & the fans. Last time I checked, PP.O has a lot of Vikings fans & those threads contain articles from the media.

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  7. #17
    DustinDupont's Avatar
    DustinDupont is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,607

    Re: I would say the possible Booty/TJack QB controversy is over.

    There was never a controversy

  8. #18
    gagarr's Avatar
    gagarr is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,411

    Re: I would say the possible Booty/TJack QB controversy is over.

    "Freakout" wrote:
    To be a little fair JDB isn't exactly working with the 1st or 2nd unit.
    The 4th string offensive line would struggle to block a high school team.
    Still Jackson is without a doubt the man.
    Totally agree here.

    JDB is working with players of which virtually none will make the team.
    When Jackson was making his rookie preseason starts it was with the 2nd and 3rd teamers in the 2nd and 3rd quarter.

    Unless you have Jackson work with the 4th stringers and JDB with the 1st string, you really can't compare their performance.
    I also won't buy into the concept that he's going against 4th string D too as from what I've seen of the Vikes 4th string O line none will even make the practice squad.

    I was hoping that Childress would at least put Booty ahead of Bollinger to see what he can do with better players.


    That said, I've been disappointed in what I've seen from JDB, but I'm still a Booty fan and believe he will be a starter in the NFL.


    BTW, I've been very impressed with TJ, he's made great strides as many on this board predicted, but I had doubts.
    I hope that his pre-season success translates to regular season success.
    [size=12pt]
    Page 148.5 **Doleman 150.5 **Randle 137.5 **Allen 73+
    [/size]

  9. #19
    gamecocksbaseball31's Avatar
    gamecocksbaseball31 is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,487

    Re: I would say the possible Booty/TJack QB controversy is over.

    Yeah I don't think there was ever a controversy.
    Like stated before, to have a controversy the coach is the only one that can technically make that happen.
    Chilly has stood behind T-Jack 100% so that was out the window.
    As for the media, most of htem don't have much of a clue with the Vikes anyway...
    When is the last time we had this much press attention?

  10. #20
    Formo's Avatar
    Formo is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    2,664

    Re: I would say the possible Booty/TJack QB controversy is over.

    StillPurple will tell you there was a QB controversy.
    Shoot, he'll say there still IS controversy.
    Vegans are eating the rainforests. =(

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Souhan tries to stir up controversy
    By whackthepack in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 08-05-2010, 09:59 PM
  2. Quarterback Controversy?
    By SharperImage42 in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-07-2008, 08:13 PM
  3. Summer of controversy: Here are five QB hot spots
    By marstc09 in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-20-2008, 06:59 AM
  4. Booty more prepared as rookie than TJack
    By gagarr in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 321
    Last Post: 05-18-2008, 03:53 PM
  5. Time to start a QB controversy!
    By Garland Greene in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 94
    Last Post: 10-31-2006, 10:29 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •