Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

Re: I was very optomistic about the 2008 season until.

Here lies my problem. Teams will not let us get the long bomb on them. So all these reports of TJ hitting the long bomb means nothing to me. I want to see how he is workign the middle of the field. If he still cannot delive the ball on time....then our seasn may be in trouble. In the Skins game. Landry was 25 feet off the ball, playing FS because they knew that we did 2 things well.

1) Run the ball
    2) Throw the deep bomb.

They took away both and left the middle wide open and we could not beat them.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"kevoncox" wrote:
    Here lies my problem. Teams will not let us get the long bomb on them. So all these reports of TJ hitting the long bomb means nothing to me. I want to see how he is workign the middle of the field. If he still cannot delive the ball on time....then our seasn may be in trouble. In the Skins game. Landry was 25 feet off the ball, playing FS because they knew that we did 2 things well.

1) Run the ball
    2) Throw the deep bomb.

We threw the deep bomb well last year? How often and what was our comp. % on those passes?

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

"kevoncox" wrote:

1) Run the ball
    2) Throw the deep bomb.

I think experience alone can fanish the Washington game. I keep seeing you bring this up but I think we should all leave that game in the past and learn from whatever mistakes were made. Funny thing is we came closer to winning that some give credit with all the mistakes. Having Bobby Wade and Furgeson vs Berrian and Rice is huge difference in terms of weapons for the QB.

Saying that we will not get the bomb is laughable but in the event that they want to stack that many guys in the secondry we will torch them in the run game. Berrian will have his share of bombs, he's already doing it in practice.

Anytime the middle is left open we should take advantage of this. Adjustments should be more fluid this season.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

COMPLETING the long bomb will open up the middle...and rest assured, TJack will find the open man.
    This isn't last season, it's THIS season.
    And TJack WILL be better than last year.
    All he has to do is cut down on the turnovers and he (and the team) will be much better from that alone.
    Don't expect him to be a Pro Bowler...but then the Vikings don't need a Pro Bowler, just a Trent Dilfer circa 2000.
    Hopefully with the same end result.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

"kevoncox" wrote:

1) Run the ball
    2) Throw the deep bomb.

Not everyone is as fast as Landry. And not everyone is going to be able to play that cover three on us.
    I didn't relly see anyone else use it against us.
    We had deep chances with open receivers against the Skins.
    Tarvaris was just wildly inaccurate and missed those opportunities.

It took TJ 7 practices to connect on a long pass last year in training camp.
    This year he did it in virtually every practice including the first.
    Training camp doesn't mean much, but that sounds a bit more promising wouldn't you say?
    What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. Its the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

El Vikingo is offline Ring of Fame

Hey Ivan ,don´t you think is a bit early to think Tarvarias is
    not ready? It is only training camp...

All this TJ stuff can become totally crazy with a couple or 3 bad performances of him in our first weeks of competition...this is gonna be an interesting season no doubt ,can´t wait to kick off.
    El underdog.

Mark_The_Viking is offline Asst. Coach

TJack doesn't have the pressure of last season on him this year. He has better receivers, the best RB tandem in the league to bail him out and a year to have improved his decision making. To be honest I'm sick of seeing negative TJack threads especially from Vikings forums.

I know we are all entitled to an opinion and I am exercising that right here, but guys, please, give the man a break. If at the end of this season we are on a losing record and it can be attributed to TJack then by all means as fans we are entitled to show our upset but until the guy has a year of starting under his belt in a team that doesn't have receivers who can't see the ball and miss out on game winning TDs we aren't in that position.

Get behind our team and our QB and support him despite any reservations you might have,

FACT Tavaris Jackson is the starting quarterback of the Minnesota Vikings.
    Purple till i die

"Mark_The_Viking" wrote:
    TJack doesn't have the pressure of last season on him this year.
    Rite on Tj doesn´t
    have the pressure of last season ,he got much more ,the team is now a real contender to NFC title ,much mony spent,he is on the hot sit with one more year of experience.....
    El underdog.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"kevoncox" wrote:

1) Run the ball
    2) Throw the deep bomb.

Exactly what do you mean by "middle of the field? Are you talking 10-20 yards or 21-30? If you are talking 21-30, I'll disagree because that's what T-Jack does best.

The problem is the coaches don't call enough of those plays or make the necessary adjustments throughout the game. It seems like they almost always come in with a game plan & use it throughout the game whether it's working or not.

I'll also disagree with your assessment that we throw the deep ball well & that teams think that. In fact, they don't & it's one of the reasons why you see the box stacked.

Jackson threw 15 deep balls last year, 6 were caught. That's only 40%. Even if you throw in T-Wills two big drops as gimmies, that's still 53%.

Again, middle of the field, what I think 21-30 yarders are considered, is what he does best. He's 64.3% on those but as I stated earlier, he only threw 56 of them last season.

On passes that are 1-10 yards, he's 60.8% (He threw 120 of them last year)

On passes that are 11-20 yards, he's 54.4% (He threw 103 of them last year)

http://www.nfl.com/players/tarvarisjackson/situationalstats?id=JAC566507

They need to throw more 21-30 yarders. When you are facing a stacked box & you throw those well, you can force the defense to play more honestly, which should open up the run game.

His passer rating for the 21-30 range is 90.8.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Sorry but a 60,8 % in 1-10 and 54,4 % in 11-20
    ,it is non acceptable by any means....
    El underdog.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast