Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Del Rio Guest

I know why the Vikings defense can't stop a high scholl team

Basically a stunt is a defensive line shift.

The theory is that when you line up the O-lineman looks at your position, are you over him? In the A gap the B gap? And his block is determined by your position. So at the last minute when you shift into a different spot the entire line's blocking assignments change. The hope is that in the confusion blocks will be missed. The funny thing is about stunts is that it seems to free up LB's more then DL because when in doubt just block who ever is closest to you.

That is why a stunt + a LB or CB blitz usually works well together.

I did notice a few stunts last night and they weren't very effective (the ones I saw). I also did notice some pressure by the front four. Although it was sparatic it was present. The CB's played some tighter D and I enjoyed that. I'd rather see them get beat this way then picked apart while playing cushy D.

I did notice the 4th quarter cushion that seems to emerge after we get a lead and I think it needs to die and go away for a long long time.

sdvikefan is offline Hall of Famer

There are basically two reasons why our defense has not been playing well. It has nothing to do with coaching and nothing to do with the talent of the individual players. It comes down to 2 things: longevity and intimidation.

Look at some of the top defenses in this league: Baltimore, New England, Miami, Tampa Bay. Most of the guys on those defenses have been playing together for a very long time. Each one knows his job in each scheme and they are comfortable with each other and can rely on each other. Dan3ski said the Vikings play as 11 individual players not as one unit. The reason is because they have barely been playing with each other. It will take time, longevity, before they become the well oiled machine that a truly great defense is supposed to be.

The other factor is intimidation. Ray Lewis, Warren Sapp, Michael Strahan, Jason Taylor, John Lynch, Roy Williams, etc. These guys bring an intensity to the game that inspires their fellow defenders and intimidates the opponent. The Vikings lack this type of player. I thought it would have been Hovan, but he has not performed on the field. The more experienced players like Claiborne and Winfield have brought talent but not intensity. Until our players get a hard hitting, "bring it on" mentality, they will not be feared.

These are the two biggest problems I see with our defense.
    "Meet at the quarterback!" -Purple People Eaters

dan3ski is offline Coordinator

If anyone watched the Patriot's game yesterday they threw so many different defensive formations at Seattle it was unreal. There was one play where they had only 1 downlineman. Right from the start the defense made plays and got turnovers!
    can we clone Bud Grant?

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

I like the bull rush method at times! Especially the bull rush Udeze put on his man to get the sack, that was awesome!! He's gonna be something special!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

SKOL is offline Ring of Fame

"skogs02" wrote:
    iknow why you cant spell...your an idiot
    It's can't and you're. :roll:

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good -Samuel Johnson - lexicographer
    The word genius isn t applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein - Joe Theisman

dan3ski is offline Coordinator

Thank you. SKOL but I just was willing to consider the source.
    can we clone Bud Grant?

sitandbehitski is offline Asst. Coach

We stunt, not as often as other teams but we do stunt. As for the Steelers stunting and getting results, they run a 3-4 defense which requires confusing the offensive line, therefore comparing them to us is stupid.
    I may be an a$$, but at least I m a smart one

bigdogbovy is offline Asst. Coach

bottom line Cottrells offensive is too consertvative. Most blitzes are up the middle and inneffective. but when we sent newman from the outside... sack!

danski is right out small fast D should be stunting.
    de43540278a8c8500baf55c07109eb7e

Del Rio Guest

Stunting is practically ineffective against the pass.(unless accompanied with a blitz) And that is where we are getting toasted.

Kleinsasser40 is offline Coordinator

"cajunvike" wrote:
    The bottom line is we need...BETTER TACKLING!!! The D needs to learn how to tackle better and quit giving up those short passes that keep moving the chains for the opposing offense.
    We need to be more consistant in tackling, but not really better. During the saints game i didn't really see any problem with it, but that changes game to game. The Titans might go and break 20 tackles on us, you never know how they are going to preform.
    [img:2264cdc124]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v482/ultravikingfan/vikesklein.jpg[/img:2264cdc124]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast