Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    carolinafan is offline Rookie

Re: I know there were many doubters last year when TW was

"Eyedea" wrote:
    Nothing against Williamson, but I think drafting a very raw reciever with the seventh overal pick was a mistake. The team could have been very close to winnng a championship (before the boat incident), and drafting Williamson, while he may be a great player later, did not really help the team last year. I would have rather drafted Merriman or Johnson at 7, and then Clayton (probably the most polished reciever in the draft) later in the first.
    No offense, and I do believe the boat thing really set a bad tone for the Vikes last season, BUT I think the only fans who believed the Vikes were championship calibur last year were Vike fans. I don't think Clayton or anyone else would have helped you one bit and they surely would not have made that team "champions." TW was proven in the SEC. Nuff said. Just b/c he didn't get ESPN hyped each weekend doesn't mean squat. (Remember Jerry Rice? How many times did you see him on ESPN when he was in college? Do you think a kid from Miss Valley St of all places got the fans jacked up when he was drafted?????).

I have to laugh when I hear things like "polished" or needs to run crisper routes, or he drops passes sometimes. Hell, every receiver drops passes sometimes. I never, and I repeat never, remember seeing him drop a pass he should have caught in college. That means he can catch and all he needs is some experience and confidence at the pro level. What a difference a year will make.

I would have drafted TW at the 5 spot knowing what I know about him. Doesn't mean automatic success. Look at Mario Williams. The knock on him is that he takes "games" off. Not plays, but games. I'm not sure I would want that with the number one pick, but hey, he got it. The hypers would have never picked Williams at number one. It would have been either Bush or Young. Williams was picked on what he "can be." That's why TW was picked. If the Vikes didn't take him, he would have gone soon after. He has it all, just leave him alone and watch it happen.

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

"carolinafan" wrote:
    drafted. But like I said in some posts when many on this site were critical b/c TW wasn't lighting up the world, there have been few rookies (if any) to ever enter the NFL and dominate or change a game. I have watched every TW college game, and I knew what he's like. I think you will see a star START to emerge this year. By next year, he'll be all-pro calibur. He will work hard and he has the talent and maturity. If he doesn't get injured, and the burns from his youth do not start causing him medical problems again, the people who booed him on draft day will have egg on their face.

I totally agree with you.. He has everything going for him right now.. Height, speed, great hands, and great vision.. He really is the total package when it comes to WR's.. I am sure this will be his year to shine..

Eyedea is offline Pro-Bowler

"carolinafan" wrote:
    "Eyedea" wrote:
    Nothing against Williamson, but I think drafting a very raw reciever with the seventh overal pick was a mistake. The team could have been very close to winnng a championship (before the boat incident), and drafting Williamson, while he may be a great player later, did not really help the team last year. I would have rather drafted Merriman or Johnson at 7, and then Clayton (probably the most polished reciever in the draft) later in the first.
    No offense, and I do believe the boat thing really set a bad tone for the Vikes last season, BUT I think the only fans who believed the Vikes were championship calibur last year were Vike fans. I don't think Clayton or anyone else would have helped you one bit and they surely would not have made that team "champions." TW was proven in the SEC. Nuff said. Just b/c he didn't get ESPN hyped each weekend doesn't mean squat. (Remember Jerry Rice? How many times did you see him on ESPN when he was in college? Do you think a kid from Miss Valley St of all places got the fans jacked up when he was drafted?????).

I have to laugh when I hear things like "polished" or needs to run crisper routes, or he drops passes sometimes. Hell, every receiver drops passes sometimes. I never, and I repeat never, remember seeing him drop a pass he should have caught in college. That means he can catch and all he needs is some experience and confidence at the pro level. What a difference a year will make.

I would have drafted TW at the 5 spot knowing what I know about him. Doesn't mean automatic success. Look at Mario Williams. The knock on him is that he takes "games" off. Not plays, but games. I'm not sure I would want that with the number one pick, but hey, he got it. The hypers would have never picked Williams at number one. It would have been either Bush or Young. Williams was picked on what he "can be." That's why TW was picked. If the Vikes didn't take him, he would have gone soon after. He has it all, just leave him alone and watch it happen.
    Personally, I think it is better to draft on what the player has done than on 'potential'. I could be wrong with this theory but thats what I think.

If you look at the number, however, Clayton had a much better year with Boller throwing him the ball. While Williamson had 24 catches and 2 tds, Clayton had 44 catches and 2 tds.

I hope Williamson proves me wrong, but as of now I don't approve of the pick (I know this is very stupid because rookie recievers almost always struggle)
    Make love to the present, fuck the past
    --Sage Francis

dfwvike is offline Training Camp

The quick slant to Williamson is going to be dangerous in this west coast style offense, wait and see.
    Special Teams are Key!

carolinafan is offline Rookie

Personally, I think it is better to draft on what the player has done than on 'potential'. I could be wrong with this theory but thats what I think.

If you look at the number, however, Clayton had a much better year with Boller throwing him the ball. While Williamson had 24 catches and 2 tds, Clayton had 44 catches and 2 tds.

I hope Williamson proves me wrong, but as of now I don't approve of the pick (I know this is very stupid because rookie recievers almost always struggle)
    [/size][/quote][/quote]
    Eyedea, I agree with your points about past performance being most important. I think that's the #1 thing. I tell people in my company all the time, when you're interviewing someone for a promotion, past performance is indicative of potential success. Don't be fooled by someone who can talk a good game, but when you really pull back the curtain you see a very average performer.

My point about drafting TW was that his past performance, along with his pure talent made him a great pick. TW lead the SEC in receiving, drew double coverage about every play, on a sorry passing team. The fans who saw him daily knew he might be one of (if not the) best receiver in the country. His game performance was exactly what got him drafted along with the thought of what a few more years of developing can lead to. Clayton I'm sure had a better year last year, but TW didn't get many snaps for whatever reasons (injuries, veteran receivers on the team, etc).

As for the people who think a the Johnson player on D should have been drafted, that is a valid point since the Vikes needed Defensive help. As for receivers, if that's what MN wanted, they got one of the top two available.

Hey, but it's nice to talk about this stuff while we're waiting on the season. I'm ready like I'm sure you are. Have a great weekend.

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

"WilliamsonOfTroy" wrote:
    DJ is the one that got away Mr. Anderson.I too wanted him, but was also fond of Troy.I havnt herd to much on DJ tho...I remeber slick willy vermeil said he was the best rookie LB he has ever seen or something.
    He had 95 tackles, 79 solo and 16 assists, 2 sacks, no ints, but 5 passes defended.

PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni

Just wait til Troy runs a couple drag route's across the field, with his speed, he's gonna tear it up... Faster than Rice and able to break any slant into a score. Should be a real weapon this year Skol Cheers.

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

When some others where upset with Williamson i was proud of him last year. For the amount of playing time he seen on the field i thought he did well. Aside from that none of a our WR's did real well our our RB's. Our offensive line was holding us back from having a productive offense. This year should be a whole lot different.

Williamson made alot of plays last year, he made several nice catches in the preseason games then caried it over to the regulaur season. He had better hands then i had imagined. Evertime he got his hands on the ball he was explosive. He just didn't get that much playing time. If he doesn't get hurt and stays the #2 WR i don't see why he won't get over 800 yards recieving or more in this new offensive system.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12