Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    dan3ski is offline Coordinator

I just had a thought

After watching the Vikings game Sunday and reading most of the posts in here yesterday and today I am wondering if Tice is trying to peak the team later in the season. I mean he had the team fired up early last year and then the season fell apart. I am not a Tice fan I really wanted the "TUNA" in Minnesota and I will continue to scream about TIce until I see some big changes but I am trying to see a silver lining.
    can we clone Bud Grant?

Del Rio Guest

I just had a thought

I was wondering this myself, I can't imagine it is true but if it is that is a dangerous game to play.

If this is happeneing I think it would be manifested by the players, I hope the coach wouldn't teach that mentality.

It seems like they are just getting by. I mean they are on the verge of being something abnormally excellent on Offense but they just won't....get....over....the....hump. They look like they could break out at any moment and fire on all cylinders but they just haven't yet.

When your Offense is cruising it makes it easier for the D to take chances like we did the beginning of last year.

Makes me think it's mental. They have the weapons, and we all cry about Sasser and the O-line but how many times have we punted this year? How many times have we been in scoring position. We are dominating our opponents for the most part.

Just need the fire, and the desire to demolish our opponent. Unless they are all way smarter then us and are flying under the radar until the time is right. I know it's not a consipracy like I make it sound, but they definately have the potential to own anyone and the ability to do so. But they just don't have the desire.

I just had a thought

Del do you think it is a lack of killer instint?
    can we clone Bud Grant?

Del Rio Guest

I just had a thought

I'm not sure what it is. My best guess would be it is either

A) Trying to not get ahead of themselves, trying to play smarter but less explosive football.

B) Being held back by the coaches

From what I read the players seem sold on the style of play so I assume it is more along the lines of A.

It's like trying to cage a lion though. We are an explosive team, just because we had a melt down the end of last year doesn't mean we need to change our style.

It's just frustrating for everyone I think, why change now? I see where they are going with this......manage the ball because our D needs time to grow, but if you don't score in the redzone you just made it harder.

Right now teams play us in fear of the huge play, that's how we scored last year so this dunk and dive stuff is working great, later in the year they will play us better and if our O struggles we will lose.

But who's to say that's not the plan. Dunk and Dive and then later in the season when they expect that, and change to defend that take em to the house.

Hard to say. Could be a genius yet dangerous plan or just a lack of killer instinct.

I just had a thought

I do agree with you in it being a dangerous way to do things but what the heck after last season why not
    can we clone Bud Grant?

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

I just had a thought

"dan3ski" wrote:
    Del do you think it is a lack of killer instint?
    I don't know if it is a lack of killer instinct, the endzone is blood and our offense are Sharks. I think that we have had a suspect defense for years now and it looks like the D doesn't have the killer instict. There is no blood for the D to chase except for when Favre comes to the dome. If we put Favre on everyteam we play, we would probably play better.

I think you may be right. Tice doesn't want our team getting to high on there play early on in the season. I think that it is just a curb your enthusiasm thing, don't praise them too much too early. A win is a win and we have been in every game we have played. I am sure that Tice would like to be winnig by a larger margin than 5 points.

I was just listening to Ditka on the Monday morning QB
    He beleives in taking chances and challenging his player to step up. Sometimes I think Tice and staff want to baby our players along by being conservative. Ditka was talking about Martz's decision to squibb kick instead of kicking to the deep guy and challenging the players to make the stop. It allowed the Saints to go down and tie it with the FG then in OT win it with the FG.

Later

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

I just had a thought

"Del Rio" wrote:
    I'm not sure what it is. My best guess would be it is either

A) Trying to not get ahead of themselves, trying to play smarter but less explosive football.

B) Being held back by the coaches

From what I read the players seem sold on the style of play so I assume it is more along the lines of A.

It's like trying to cage a lion though. We are an explosive team, just because we had a melt down the end of last year doesn't mean we need to change our style.

It's just frustrating for everyone I think, why change now? I see where they are going with this......manage the ball because our D needs time to grow, but if you don't score in the redzone you just made it harder.

Right now teams play us in fear of the huge play, that's how we scored last year so this dunk and dive stuff is working great, later in the year they will play us better and if our O struggles we will lose.

But who's to say that's not the plan. Dunk and Dive and then later in the season when they expect that, and change to defend that take em to the house.

Hard to say. Could be a genius yet dangerous plan or just a lack of killer instinct.

I think you hit it on the head Del Rio, I think the coaches are afraid to let our D on the field and they are running a conservative offense to try and control the ball and clock. That is what they tried to do last year after the 6 game winning streak and it cost them a lot of games.

They are playing a soft D (better this game than it had been) and hoping that the D will bend and not break. Instead of an attack D that they were playing in the preseason and it will start to cost us the longer this happens.

They need to start playing an explosive offense and take some risks on D and see if the can start taking advantage of mistakes made by other teams.

And quit using the damn prevent defense, after we scored to take an 11 point lead our D went into a prevent D. They were playing 10 yards off the receivers (again) and the Bears marched right down the field and scored. We were lucky that Grossman got hurt because if they would have had him on that last drive (and on the Vikes offensive series (throw the damn ball, I called it, 3 straight running plays and so did the Bears know it. One 1st down and the game was over) and if the Vikes would have played that soft F*cking prevent D, the Bears win the game!
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Del Rio Guest

I just had a thought

Oh I know that last possession was aggrevating we ran 3 miserable runs hardly taking any time off the clock. I was expecting a screen or something.

But they had confidence in the D with that 2nd stringer in. Also they made them burn all the timeouts.

But let the collar off this puppy. I hope we see more in the next few weeks.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

I just had a thought

When I think conseravative, I am thinking about taking what the other team is willing to give us. I don't think of us stalling. If we wanted to stall, we would be running and not passing. Granted Culpepper is not stopping the clock all that often because he is completing most of his passes. But traditionally if you have a bad D and can run, you run. Because DC is so efficient with his %, we can use it like the run.

I don't think that we have to Bomb downfield just yet. We have taken some strikes but just not to Moss. Campbell had that awesome catch the first week. Burleson had a nice one against the bears.

There will be time for ZED to bring out the FREAK.

Moss has been a great decoy but, let's bring out the freak against Houston. Let him catch a long ball. If he doesn't that is alright as long as they are trying to get the ball down field a few times a game. Until then, we can take what they give us.

We distribute the ball to many targets. No one really gathers a lot of yard this year. If you look at the rcvg stats, O Smith has the most yards and Moss is right behind him.

Player No Yds Avg Long TD
    Onterrio Smith 15 223 14.9 63 1
    Randy Moss 19 215 11.3 44 5
    Nate Burleson 10 172 17.2 63 0
    Kelly Campbell 5 123 24.6 43 1
    Jermaine Wiggins 10 83 8.3 19 0
    Marcus Robinson 5 68 13.6 37 1
    Richard Owens 5 52 10.4 18 0
    Jimmy Kleinsasser 2 24 12.0 18 0
    Mewelde Moore 2 14 7.0 8 0
    Moe Williams 1 8 8.0 8 0

I like the mystery distribution better than just a few weapons.

As far as the Red Zone, I think we are too fancy trying to out guess the other team. Just run something and challenge our guys to stick it in the endzone. I don't think they are letting them play in the Red Zone.

ZED'S DEAD

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

I just had a thought

Del Rio, great takes! Not putting the ball in the end zone with aggressive play in the red zone is counterproductive to creating a winning atmosphere. If the Vikes score TDs, the other team can only tie us if our D gives up TDs in return. Eventually the D will stop the other team and we will outscore them by the end of the game. I say be aggressive on offense and let the defense take care of themselves. If they have any pride, they will start to stop teams.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast