beeheck is offline Waterboy

I just don't understand, WHY?

First let me explain that I am a Vikings fan, have been since 1967 when I left the Packers and started following the Vikes as much as a kid can living in New Mexico. While I am a fan, I'm not blind to what I see every week in their games. So, I have to ask, WHY? and here is a short list...

WHY do the opponents always block (offense and defense)until the play is over, but the Vikings line counts to a fast three, pull off their blocks and start pulling their jerseys down over their bellies? Watch this, they really do it. You can tell because our running back is picking himself up behind the line of scrimmage.

WHY when the vikings are blocked do they stand up and go backward and when they are blocking to they also go backward?

WHY when the Vikes have a pass play called can't the line block the other guys and keep them out of our backfield even just occasionally? How many times have you seen the Vikings offenseive line looking down field while the guy with the ball is picking himself up behind the line of scrimmage?

WHY when the other team is running the ball is one viking trying to tackle and a couple others are running along side, seemingly asking.. you got him, I can help but if you got him I won't get in the way.

WHY haven't they heard of gang tackling?

WHY can't vikings defensive line get tackles at or behind the line of scrimmage except for the occasional lucky sack?

WHY can't the coaches see the players that come off the line slow, lean on the opponents lineman, push a little and let the runner go by them for a big gain? This is so obvious, I swear no one must look at film.

I could go on all night but here's something we all need to do, we need to start watching individual players and ask the question, WHY, why they aren't giving 100% every play. Why does the other team, regardless of who they are seem to play harder, stay with the play longer, gang tackle and have the PRIDE to make the effort and give it all. I know a lot of people are going to feel the need to attack my post but instead, why not just watch the next few games with an open mind and compare individual performances to their opponents. Not if they win or lose but how they play the game. If your one of those that feel Brett lost the game in New Orleans last year you obviously didn't watch the game with an open mind. The Vikings line let so many players get through almost untouched it was painful to watch. Not as painful as it was for Brett but embarrassing to me as fan.

I will continue to watch the games every week, hoping my favorite team will finally get the pride needed to play competitively. I have always been and will continue to be a Viking fan, but I refuse to watch lazy, unprofessional, pridless players ruin the team I love and remain silent.
    None

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: I just don't understand, WHY?

1 answer. Coaching.

Most of the things you mention are mental things (some of them are blatantly false, but besides that).

Our players just aren't motivated by Childress, they're motivated by Favre.

Webby is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Welcome, and full guns blazing at that.

I understand frustrations, and some are real and some I just think are there because I get pissed at the team.

Overall, coaching is always an issue, but we are a top ranked D and whomp on folks, not so worried on that side of the ball.

SKOl, look forward to more great contributions like that.

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

Re:I just don't understand, WHY?

beeheck wrote:
    First let me explain that I am a Vikings fan, have been since 1967 when I left the Packers and started following the Vikes as much as a kid can living in New Mexico. While I am a fan, I'm not blind to what I see every week in their games. So, I have to ask, WHY? and here is a short list...
    Congrats on rehabbing from the Packtard nation. Since you're asking "WHY", I'll do my best to answer you.

beeheck wrote:
    WHY do the opponents always block (offense and defense)until the play is over, but the Vikings line counts to a fast three, pull off their blocks and start pulling their jerseys down over their bellies? Watch this, they really do it. You can tell because our running back is picking himself up behind the line of scrimmage.
    Because our players pride themselves on their big bellies. Haven't you read how impressive our "Twin Towers" are? Yup,. McKinnie and Loadholt are so big that - according to all media - they are "Impressive" without even having to play.

Maybe we need smaller guys?

beeheck wrote:
    WHY when the vikings are blocked do they stand up and go backward and when they are blocking to they also go backward?
    Because if any of them actually leveled a pass rusher on Offense, McKinnie would look bad. And if McKinnie looks bad, he's threatened to eat whomever makes him look bad.

beeheck wrote:
    WHY when the Vikes have a pass play called can't the line block the other guys and keep them out of our backfield even just occasionally? How many times have you seen the Vikings offenseive line looking down field while the guy with the ball is picking himself up behind the line of scrimmage?
    Again, this has to do with McKinnie. Since it takes so many calories to fuel that over sized behemoth, Bryant doesn't want to burn too many off all at once. If he did - say, by actually blocking during a play - he'd be forced to consume mass quantities of food to compensate.

Sadly, the last time he put in anything close to "effort", he wound up eating 4 cheerleaders, 6 fans, and a referee.

beeheck wrote:
    WHY when the other team is running the ball is one viking trying to tackle and a couple others are running along side, seemingly asking.. you got him, I can help but if you got him I won't get in the way.
    Because our Defense is very courteous, and our guys don't want to poach each others stats.

beeheck wrote:
    WHY haven't they heard of gang tackling?
    Because they still think that's what they got in trouble for on that boat. No one has the heart to tell them otherwise for fear of dredging up bad memories.

beeheck wrote:
    WHY can't vikings defensive line get tackles at or behind the line of scrimmage except for the occasional lucky sack?
    If they did that, they'd make the O-Line look bad, and McKinnie would eat them.

beeheck wrote:
    WHY can't the coaches see the players that come off the line slow, lean on the opponents lineman, push a little and let the runner go by them for a big gain? This is so obvious, I swear no one must look at film.
    Childress can't run the projector, and Bevell hasn't gotten all the game pictures for the '07 season colored in yet. They'll get to it eventually...

beeheck wrote:
    I could go on all night but here's something we all need to do, we need to start watching individual players and ask the question, WHY, why they aren't giving 100% every play. Why does the other team, regardless of who they are seem to play harder, stay with the play longer, gang tackle and have the PRIDE to make the effort and give it all. I know a lot of people are going to feel the need to attack my post but instead, why not just watch the next few games with an open mind and compare individual performances to their opponents. Not if they win or lose but how they play the game. If your one of those that feel Brett lost the game in New Orleans last year you obviously didn't watch the game with an open mind. The Vikings line let so many players get through almost untouched it was painful to watch. Not as painful as it was for Brett but embarrassing to me as fan.

I will continue to watch the games every week, hoping my favorite team will finally get the pride needed to play competitively. I have always been and will continue to be a Viking fan, but I refuse to watch lazy, unprofessional, pridless players ruin the team I love and remain silent.
    Welcome to PPO.

Caine

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

You have just been welcome'd by Caine. Good luck on your second post. Maybe it won't get ripped apart.
    We're bringing purple back.

VikingGlen is offline Waterboy

Caine, thanks for bringing us back to reality. After reading the initial post, I was beginning to think I'd accidentally landed on the Detroit Lions web site. :silly:

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

VikingGlen wrote:
    Caine, thanks for bringing us back to reality. After reading the initial post, I was beginning to think I'd accidentally landed on the Detroit Lions web site. :silly:
    No, you can always tell that it's not a Lions fan site because there are no bullet holes in the threads. When they hijack a thread there, they do it LITERALLY.

Caine

beeheck is offline Waterboy

Yep, blame the coach, players aren't responsible for how they play, it's the coach. I think you're joking with me... I hope you are. I don't know how much football you played but I played several years High School through a BigTen College. Coaches could tell me how to do it, why they wanted me do it, but when it came time to play, I had to have the pride to execute it. I guess I could of played half speed and then blamed the coaching. You don't always win the battle on the line against the player across from you but you sure as heck tied him up long enough to let the play develop or you failed and got your butt kicked. Not pleasant in a film room when you are singled out.
    A couple ways to tell how your line is doing is simply how many yards are your running backs are getting. We have had some of the best running backs in the game and they usually move on in a couple years because they don't get the blocking they need to survive. I don't know, maybe it is me, but I just think with the talent the Vikings have they should be a better team. I don't mean record wise all the time, they should really beat up some teams. Mark my words, when the media says the Vikings should win a game by lots of points, look out, they are going to play poorly and might just get beat. I still watch the New Orleans game where Frave got beat up. The Vikings were beat from a few minutes in the first quarter. You could see it in they way the moved around the field. After the game, Frave looked like the offensive line played, old and whooped.
    Go Vikings! I can hardly wait for the Orleans game, I think this single game will tell us what our season will be like. The Vikings should be hungry with revenge. I hope.
    None