Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

Re: i have not seen smoot play

"RandyMoss8404" wrote:
    "muchluv4smoot" wrote:
    "Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:
    I agree.. Winfield only gave up 1 TD last year.. that wasnt even a TD.. The number 1 reciever we play against doesnt have that good of sucess because Winny is over there.. Although I havent really seen much of Smoot I dont know if he is a better cover corner or not.. He gets burnt because he goes for the pick.. while Winny just makes the play.. so u can make the call

Being a good cover CB has nothing to do with getting beat for TD's. Champ bailey is the best cover CB in the league, yet he got beat for plenty of Td's last year and over his career.

There is much more to it, than getting beat for TD's. Good CB's give up TD's because they are aggressive. Winfield isn't aggressive like champ bailey and smoot are, thus he doesn't give up the TD's.

This doesn't mean winfield isn't a good cover CB, but that is smoot's fortay and why he was an alternate to the pro bowl last year, because he is a classic cover corner.

Winfield is a good cover corner, but smoot is better.
    We disagree again. Winfield is a fantastic cover corner by my definition - the reason Smoot was a first alternate to the Pro Bowl is because he got flashy interceptions. Winfield got game-killing interceptions and otherwise batted the ball down, and his hands should improve this year.

Smoot had 3 int's for 17 yards last year, where winfield had 3 for 89 yards. I think it was smoot's coverage that got him to the pro bowl.

Seriously dude, ever single scouting report on FA's CB this offseason, agreed that smoot was the best cover CB of them all, including law and even woodson. He is a d@ng good cover CB, but gets beat because of his aggressiveness, not because he isn't good at covering WR's. His aggressiveness will get him to go for int's and get beat on double moves sometimes, but does that mean he isn't good at coverage? No, it means he got fooled on some double moves, because he was aggressivley going for the int.

Much more to it, when talking about coverage for CB's.

jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame

Who cares really? All i care about is that they're both great CBs and they're both wearing the purple and gold.

RandyMoss8404 is offline Hall of Famer

"muchluv4smoot" wrote:
    "RandyMoss8404" wrote:
    "muchluv4smoot" wrote:
    "Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:
    I agree.. Winfield only gave up 1 TD last year.. that wasnt even a TD.. The number 1 reciever we play against doesnt have that good of sucess because Winny is over there.. Although I havent really seen much of Smoot I dont know if he is a better cover corner or not.. He gets burnt because he goes for the pick.. while Winny just makes the play.. so u can make the call

Being a good cover CB has nothing to do with getting beat for TD's. Champ bailey is the best cover CB in the league, yet he got beat for plenty of Td's last year and over his career.

There is much more to it, than getting beat for TD's. Good CB's give up TD's because they are aggressive. Winfield isn't aggressive like champ bailey and smoot are, thus he doesn't give up the TD's.

This doesn't mean winfield isn't a good cover CB, but that is smoot's fortay and why he was an alternate to the pro bowl last year, because he is a classic cover corner.

Winfield is a good cover corner, but smoot is better.
    We disagree again. Winfield is a fantastic cover corner by my definition - the reason Smoot was a first alternate to the Pro Bowl is because he got flashy interceptions. Winfield got game-killing interceptions and otherwise batted the ball down, and his hands should improve this year.

Smoot had 3 int's for 17 yards last year, where winfield had 3 for 89 yards. I think it was smoot's coverage that got him to the pro bowl.

Seriously dude, ever single scouting report on FA's CB this offseason, agreed that smoot was the best cover CB of them all, including law and even woodson. He is a d@ng good cover CB, but gets beat because of his aggressiveness, not because he isn't good at covering WR's. His aggressiveness will get him to go for int's and get beat on double moves sometimes, but does that mean he isn't good at coverage? No, it means he got fooled on some double moves, because he was aggressivley going for the int.

Much more to it, when talking about coverage for CB's.
    Note that over 50 of those yards were on a pic vs. the Saints when the left side of the field was bare

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWgAayphx7Y
    "He s done it! Portugal is through!"

"jessejames09" wrote:
    Who cares really? All i care about is that they're both great CBs and they're both wearing the purple and gold.

It's the offseason dude, us diehards have to argue about something, or it is boring as he!!. :grin:

"RandyMoss8404" wrote:
    Note that over 50 of those yards were on a pic vs. the Saints when the left side of the field was bare

I was more pointing to the fact that smoot didn't have any flashy int's last year. It was his coverage skills that got him to the pro bowl and that got him his big @ss paycheck from us.

canadian_vikes_fan is offline Hall of Famer

I think its a good thing that there is no definite #1 CB. If you have a team where one CB is far and away better than the other, the opposing QB will always throw to the other side, and they'll try to make bad matchups. Now, that's tough to do because we've got two guys that are both arguably good #1 CB's.

If you need to know, if I had to take one of them, it'd be Winfield over Smoot because I've seen him play more and know exactly what I'm getting, and I think he's a better tackler than Smoot. But they're both GREAT players that help to make a GREAT secondary.

Thanks PPE for the sig.

Maybe it is just that I have seen smoot play a lot more than some vikes fans? I don't know. I saw a ton of redskins games with him playing and actually remember following him in college at miss st for a few years. I was absolutely pissed when we didn't draft him and shore up the weakest part of our team in 2001. We ended up taking bennett instead, when there was plenty of good RB's in that draft. Oh well, we got him now.

canadian_vikes_fan is offline Hall of Famer

I know a Skins fan at my school, and he was absolutely nuts about Smoot all last year. What I did see of Smoot, he played pretty well, so I'm optomistic that he'll help shore up our secondary. I'm really impressed with how he supports the run defence, which should help us because I'm not convinced yet that our linebackers are good enough.

Thanks PPE for the sig.

"canadian_vikes_fan" wrote:
    I know a Skins fan at my school, and he was absolutely nuts about Smoot all last year. What I did see of Smoot, he played pretty well, so I'm optomistic that he'll help shore up our secondary. I'm really impressed with how he supports the run defence, which should help us because I'm not convinced yet that our linebackers are good enough.

Smoot's biggest asset to our D IMO, is that he is a vocal leader. Look at our leaders on last years team, winfield and Kevin williams. Both of them are very quiet guys. We needed a vocal guy like smoot on this D and I think he will quickly become a leader on this D.

RandyMoss8404 is offline Hall of Famer

I knew what your point was ml4smoot, my point is that if you look at, say, Smoot's pick in the end zone against Detroit, Toine would have batted that pass down and put an elbow in the receiver's ribs to make sure he was out of the play.

Smoot was literally two fingers from giving up a humiliating TD catch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWgAayphx7Y
    "He s done it! Portugal is through!"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast