Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 33
  1. #11
    audioghost is offline Star Spokesman
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    2,005

    Re: i have not seen smoot play

    Smoot is gonna be the man this year.....he comes from one of the best Ds in the league in DC and he will work his izass off!!

    A.G s HOTTEST NEW RAP CD: AUDIO GHOST & MAIN EVENT drop THE SEED: I made tha beats www.myspace.com/audioghost2006

  2. #12
    muchluv4smoot's Avatar
    muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,318

    Re: i have not seen smoot play

    "zimtwister" wrote:
    is he as good as he says he is? is he better than antoine? i was very happy when we got antoine, man what a hitter.


    He is a better cover CB than winfield, but nowhere near the tackler. He is more of a playmaker and is very very aggressive. This does tend to cause him to get beat from time to time though, as all good aggressive CB's are. He is still a hell of a CB and I think we will just let him play the right or left side and cover whichever WR is on that side, and let winfield take the other side. This will allow our CB's to get used to playing a certain side of the field for most of the game. Marvin harrison plays only on one side of the field and that helps him run better routes. I think it would do the same thing for our CB's as far as coverage, instead of having them play all over the field.

    It is hard to say who is better overall, cuase they are different, but both are very capable of being #1 CB's. Smoot was an alternate to the pro bowl last year, and winfield wasn't, so if you trust the pro bowl voting(which I don't), it would point to smoot being a little better.

    I'd call them even, but very different.


    Also, smoot is better at making a play on the football when it is in the air.

  3. #13
    michaelmazid is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    2,876

    Re: i have not seen smoot play

    I couldn't tell you who is a better corner, but I can tell you that they both come up and support the run like you wouldn't belive. I really believe that with the addition of Pat Williams and Fred Smoot, we should be in the top 5 defenses against the run.

  4. #14
    RandyMoss8404's Avatar
    RandyMoss8404 is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    1,389

    Re: i have not seen smoot play

    I'm going to kill the next human being to say Smoot is a better cover corner than Winfield, because it is just not true. (Calm down, I'm kidding! :-D)

    Winfield gets the chance to make a play on like 6 balls a season, that's why Smoot's numbers are better. People don't throw at him because he BLANKETS his receivers.


    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWgAayphx7Y
    "He s done it! Portugal is through!"

  5. #15
    muchluv4smoot's Avatar
    muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,318

    Re: i have not seen smoot play

    "RandyMoss8404" wrote:
    I'm going to kill the next human being to say Smoot is a better cover corner than Winfield, because it is just not true.

    Winfield gets the chance to make a play on like 6 balls a season, that's why Smoot's numbers are better. People don't throw at him because he BLANKETS his receivers.

    No, winfield was thrown on plenty of times last year, but is a very conservative CB and gives up the small receptions and attacks the receiver and puts him down right away. This is also why his tackles are so high. He isn't an aggressive coverage CB like smoot is. Smoot refuses to give up short catches and is all over his guy right away. This causes him to get beat from time to time, but doesn't mean he covers worse because he gets beat. He covers fine, but is aggressive and gives opponents QB's way way more chances to beat him. Winfield doesn't give QB's those opportunities very often because of his conservative style.

    If you taped the vikes games of last season, I suggest watching them and just watch winfield and his coverage. You will see he likes to play very soft and he also did when he was in buffalo. And yes, some of that conservative play came from cotrell's play calling, but not all of it.


    Smoot was the best cover CB in FA this year, many many scouts have said that. That should say something. Winfield is a good cover CB, and he could show it more, if he was more aggressive, but he doesn't have the cover skills that smoot has.

  6. #16
    V4L's Avatar
    V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    20,612

    Re: i have not seen smoot play

    I agree.. Winfield only gave up 1 TD last year.. that wasnt even a TD.. The number 1 reciever we play against doesnt have that good of sucess because Winny is over there.. Although I havent really seen much of Smoot I dont know if he is a better cover corner or not.. He gets burnt because he goes for the pick.. while Winny just makes the play.. so u can make the call

  7. #17
    muchluv4smoot's Avatar
    muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,318

    Re: i have not seen smoot play

    "Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:
    I agree.. Winfield only gave up 1 TD last year.. that wasnt even a TD.. The number 1 reciever we play against doesnt have that good of sucess because Winny is over there.. Although I havent really seen much of Smoot I dont know if he is a better cover corner or not.. He gets burnt because he goes for the pick.. while Winny just makes the play.. so u can make the call


    Being a good cover CB has nothing to do with getting beat for TD's. Champ bailey is the best cover CB in the league, yet he got beat for plenty of Td's last year and over his career.

    There is much more to it, than getting beat for TD's. Good CB's give up TD's because they are aggressive. Winfield isn't aggressive like champ bailey and smoot are, thus he doesn't give up the TD's.

    This doesn't mean winfield isn't a good cover CB, but that is smoot's fortay and why he was an alternate to the pro bowl last year, because he is a classic cover corner.

    Winfield is a good cover corner, but smoot is better.

  8. #18
    RandyMoss8404's Avatar
    RandyMoss8404 is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    1,389

    Re: i have not seen smoot play

    "muchluv4smoot" wrote:
    "RandyMoss8404" wrote:
    I'm going to kill the next human being to say Smoot is a better cover corner than Winfield, because it is just not true.

    Winfield gets the chance to make a play on like 6 balls a season, that's why Smoot's numbers are better. People don't throw at him because he BLANKETS his receivers.

    No, winfield was thrown on plenty of times last year, but is a very conservative CB and gives up the small receptions and attacks the receiver and puts him down right away. This is also why his tackles are so high. He isn't an aggressive coverage CB like smoot is. Smoot refuses to give up short catches and is all over his guy right away. This causes him to get beat from time to time, but doesn't mean he covers worse because he gets beat. He covers fine, but is aggressive and gives opponents QB's way way more chances to beat him. Winfield doesn't give QB's those opportunities very often because of his conservative style.

    If you taped the vikes games of last season, I suggest watching them and just watch winfield and his coverage. You will see he likes to play very soft and he also did when he was in buffalo. And yes, some of that conservative play came from cotrell's play calling, but not all of it.


    Smoot was the best cover CB in FA this year, many many scouts have said that. That should say something. Winfield is a good cover CB, and he could show it more, if he was more aggressive, but he doesn't have the cover skills that smoot has.
    Your argument is sound - I guess then what we disagree on is what makes a good cover corner. My definition is not giving up the big play and batting the ball down and playing it safe.

    Yours is more MAKING the big play and having a short memory for when you get beat deap (which Smoot did a lot last year.) By that definition yes, Smoot is a better cover corner.

    It seems we also disagree on what aggression is - Winfield comes up in run support, Smoot does not - or more realistically, cannot. Winfield has KILLED such hard nosed running backs as Ricky Williams, Edgerrin James, etc. Smoot likes to bounce off of THOMAS JONES.

    But this isn't really a winnable argument, just two different opinions.

    Just a note - Winfield giving up only 1 TD reception that wasn't actually a TD reception is significant.

    And look at the numbers for receivers who Winfield lined up across from last year. Marvin Harrison had an insignificant 5 catches. TO was held to nothing meaningful except that bootleg touchdown catch. How many catches did Todd Pinkston have last year against winfield in the playoffs? Don't remember? I don't either.


    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWgAayphx7Y
    "He s done it! Portugal is through!"

  9. #19
    RandyMoss8404's Avatar
    RandyMoss8404 is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    1,389

    Re: i have not seen smoot play

    "muchluv4smoot" wrote:
    "Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:
    I agree.. Winfield only gave up 1 TD last year.. that wasnt even a TD.. The number 1 reciever we play against doesnt have that good of sucess because Winny is over there.. Although I havent really seen much of Smoot I dont know if he is a better cover corner or not.. He gets burnt because he goes for the pick.. while Winny just makes the play.. so u can make the call


    Being a good cover CB has nothing to do with getting beat for TD's. Champ bailey is the best cover CB in the league, yet he got beat for plenty of Td's last year and over his career.

    There is much more to it, than getting beat for TD's. Good CB's give up TD's because they are aggressive. Winfield isn't aggressive like champ bailey and smoot are, thus he doesn't give up the TD's.

    This doesn't mean winfield isn't a good cover CB, but that is smoot's fortay and why he was an alternate to the pro bowl last year, because he is a classic cover corner.

    Winfield is a good cover corner, but smoot is better.
    We disagree again. Winfield is a fantastic cover corner by my definition - the reason Smoot was a first alternate to the Pro Bowl is because he got flashy interceptions. Winfield got game-killing interceptions and otherwise batted the ball down, and his hands should improve this year.


    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWgAayphx7Y
    "He s done it! Portugal is through!"

  10. #20
    muchluv4smoot's Avatar
    muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,318

    Re: i have not seen smoot play

    "RandyMoss8404" wrote:
    "muchluv4smoot" wrote:
    "RandyMoss8404" wrote:
    I'm going to kill the next human being to say Smoot is a better cover corner than Winfield, because it is just not true.

    Winfield gets the chance to make a play on like 6 balls a season, that's why Smoot's numbers are better. People don't throw at him because he BLANKETS his receivers.

    No, winfield was thrown on plenty of times last year, but is a very conservative CB and gives up the small receptions and attacks the receiver and puts him down right away. This is also why his tackles are so high. He isn't an aggressive coverage CB like smoot is. Smoot refuses to give up short catches and is all over his guy right away. This causes him to get beat from time to time, but doesn't mean he covers worse because he gets beat. He covers fine, but is aggressive and gives opponents QB's way way more chances to beat him. Winfield doesn't give QB's those opportunities very often because of his conservative style.

    If you taped the vikes games of last season, I suggest watching them and just watch winfield and his coverage. You will see he likes to play very soft and he also did when he was in buffalo. And yes, some of that conservative play came from cotrell's play calling, but not all of it.


    Smoot was the best cover CB in FA this year, many many scouts have said that. That should say something. Winfield is a good cover CB, and he could show it more, if he was more aggressive, but he doesn't have the cover skills that smoot has.
    Your argument is sound - I guess then what we disagree on is what makes a good cover corner. My definition is not giving up the big play and batting the ball down and playing it safe.

    Yours is more MAKING the big play and having a short memory for when you get beat deap (which Smoot did a lot last year.) By that definition yes, Smoot is a better cover corner.

    Agreed, so your not gonna kill me? :grin:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Vikes bench CB Smoot; Griffin to play vs. Cardinals
    By PurpleMafia in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-24-2006, 04:04 PM
  2. Smoot might play after attending funeral
    By singersp in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-09-2006, 06:42 AM
  3. Smoot says he will play Monday
    By singersp in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-13-2006, 12:05 PM
  4. daunte's conscience made him play bad-smoot too.
    By zimtwister in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-15-2005, 09:05 PM
  5. Smoot will play Friday
    By Jordan in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-24-2005, 08:10 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •