Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 121
  1. #81
    purplehelmut's Avatar
    purplehelmut is offline Pro-Bowler
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Central WV
    Posts
    464
    Quote Originally Posted by VKG4LFE View Post
    7-9?? Wow, still that optimistic? I don't see anywhere we eek out two more wins. Our schedule after the bye has been well talked about, we might (and that's a big MIGHT) have a small chance at winning in St. Louis. Our four games against the top two in our division after the bye will blow us out and so will Houston. And we won't beat the lions this week. I'm sorry, but 5-11 is a hell of a lot more likely than 7-9.
    Yeah, that might be a bit optimistic. Hopefully we can squeak past St. Louis and maybe pull out a win vs. Detroit. But at this point 5-11 is certainly within the realm of possibility.

  2. #82
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,602
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by purplehelmut View Post
    Yeah, that might be a bit optimistic. Hopefully we can squeak past St. Louis and maybe pull out a win vs. Detroit. But at this point 5-11 is certainly within the realm of possibility.
    I would not be surprised to see 7-9 or even 8-8. I am still expecting 6-10. We are going to eek out a win or two against teams we probably have no business beating at this point, and both St Louis and Detroit are still winnable games (although if Harvin doesn't play against Detroit I am skeptical).

    I think how we handle the bye will be very telling. Ponder has a lot to work on, but much of what I see is correctable. We need to accept the fact that defenses are going to bring the pressure every third down because 1) our OL has shown that they can't stop them rushing up the middle, and 2) Ponder's mechanics break down when he is pressured.

    I noticed two things specific to Ponder in the last couple of games that I think we need to address. First, I think Musgrave told Ponder to stop rolling out to his right under pressure because it was becoming predictable. I think he needs to let Ponder roll out where ever it is the most natural to him, because when he rolls to his left he tends to step directly into pressure. It may be predictable, but it was working for him. Second, Ponder needs to spend the entire damn bye working on his foot placement. It has been HORRIBLE the past two weeks, and I think that has had a very negative effect on his accuracy.

    Looking back to the San Fran game, I see some stark differences in the way we were executing. For one, San Fran didn't feel that AD was as much of a threat, and they rarely brought that second safety down into the box. That means that both the run game and the short passing game was more open for short games. Anyone notice that AD always has his big runs when opposing teams stack the box? That is because when there are 8 in the box, once he breaks past that first layer, there is usually one side of the field open for him to run to. AD's best years have come when we have had poor play from our QB - just something to think about.

    I also saw that the OL was blocking very well, giving Ponder all sorts of time in the pocket. When they did that, he was delivering the ball right on target. In the past four weeks, the OL has fallen apart. Ponder is always under pressure, and as stated before, his mechanics break down.

    The good news is that this is a lot of correctable stuff. We might not be able to make defenses pull that safety back out of the box, but we should be able to make them pay for it. We need to stop with these damn fades and throw a couple of post routes deep to Simpson. The corners play the fade every single down because it is the only deep or mid level pass we have thrown all season. I know, it is because of the ball speed, but let Simpson go up and get it. I figure one of three things will happen - he will catch it, he will draw a PI call, or it will be intercepted. At this point in the season I am OK with those odds, because it will at least impact the way they are pulling in safeties constantly.

    The OL and backs need to step up their blitz protection. If that means that AD is out on third down plays, so be it. I love AD but his blitz pickups are still pretty bad.

    We CAN fix some of our offensive troubles. Not enough to make a playoff run (Playoffs?!?) but enough to win a couple of games yet and show some promise for the future of this young team.

    </EOM>
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  3. #83
    i_bleed_purple's Avatar
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canadialand
    Posts
    16,777
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    I would not be surprised to see 7-9 or even 8-8. I am still expecting 6-10. We are going to eek out a win or two against teams we probably have no business beating at this point, and both St Louis and Detroit are still winnable games (although if Harvin doesn't play against Detroit I am skeptical).

    I think how we handle the bye will be very telling. Ponder has a lot to work on, but much of what I see is correctable. We need to accept the fact that defenses are going to bring the pressure every third down because 1) our OL has shown that they can't stop them rushing up the middle, and 2) Ponder's mechanics break down when he is pressured.

    I noticed two things specific to Ponder in the last couple of games that I think we need to address. First, I think Musgrave told Ponder to stop rolling out to his right under pressure because it was becoming predictable. I think he needs to let Ponder roll out where ever it is the most natural to him, because when he rolls to his left he tends to step directly into pressure. It may be predictable, but it was working for him. Second, Ponder needs to spend the entire damn bye working on his foot placement. It has been HORRIBLE the past two weeks, and I think that has had a very negative effect on his accuracy.

    Looking back to the San Fran game, I see some stark differences in the way we were executing. For one, San Fran didn't feel that AD was as much of a threat, and they rarely brought that second safety down into the box. That means that both the run game and the short passing game was more open for short games. Anyone notice that AD always has his big runs when opposing teams stack the box? That is because when there are 8 in the box, once he breaks past that first layer, there is usually one side of the field open for him to run to. AD's best years have come when we have had poor play from our QB - just something to think about.

    I also saw that the OL was blocking very well, giving Ponder all sorts of time in the pocket. When they did that, he was delivering the ball right on target. In the past four weeks, the OL has fallen apart. Ponder is always under pressure, and as stated before, his mechanics break down.

    The good news is that this is a lot of correctable stuff. We might not be able to make defenses pull that safety back out of the box, but we should be able to make them pay for it. We need to stop with these damn fades and throw a couple of post routes deep to Simpson. The corners play the fade every single down because it is the only deep or mid level pass we have thrown all season. I know, it is because of the ball speed, but let Simpson go up and get it. I figure one of three things will happen - he will catch it, he will draw a PI call, or it will be intercepted. At this point in the season I am OK with those odds, because it will at least impact the way they are pulling in safeties constantly.

    The OL and backs need to step up their blitz protection. If that means that AD is out on third down plays, so be it. I love AD but his blitz pickups are still pretty bad.

    We CAN fix some of our offensive troubles. Not enough to make a playoff run (Playoffs?!?) but enough to win a couple of games yet and show some promise for the future of this young team.

    </EOM>

    I agree. Nothing I've seen isn't fixable. I've gotten over our hot streak and accepting the fact that we're not as good as we saw earlier, but by no means are we done for the next couple years.

    Ponder needs to address some problems he's been having. We need coaches to pick up on these things. I'm not certain they are. Ponder's a smart guy, you would think if someone was working with him on something, he'd get better, but he's not.

    As we saw early on, when Ponder is playing well, as a team we play well. When he sucks, we need other areas to step up, and that's something we can't rely on happening at this point yet.

  4. #84
    C Mac D's Avatar
    C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    13,492
    Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple View Post
    I agree. Nothing I've seen isn't fixable. I've gotten over our hot streak and accepting the fact that we're not as good as we saw earlier, but by no means are we done for the next couple years.

    Ponder needs to address some problems he's been having. We need coaches to pick up on these things. I'm not certain they are. Ponder's a smart guy, you would think if someone was working with him on something, he'd get better, but he's not.

    As we saw early on, when Ponder is playing well, as a team we play well. When he sucks, we need other areas to step up, and that's something we can't rely on happening at this point yet.
    "Nothing I've seen isn't fixable."

    Really? Like our best corner being out for the year? Ponder's absolutely atrocious decision making? Or our complete lack of WR depth? How are any of those issues fixable this season?
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

  5. #85
    C Mac D's Avatar
    C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    13,492
    My question is: How is anyone surprised by this? You keep a lot of the same pieces from the Childress coaching regime, promote the VP of Player Personnel to GM and completely over-draft a mid-talent QB....

    [sarcasm] Can't believe we're not a better team. [/sarcasm]
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

  6. #86
    vikinggreg's Avatar
    vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Great White North
    Posts
    4,772
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mac D View Post
    "Nothing I've seen isn't fixable."

    Really? Like our best corner being out for the year? Ponder's absolutely atrocious decision making? Or our complete lack of WR depth? How are any of those issues fixable this season?
    If you're referring to Cook with his broken wrist he isn't necessarily gone for the year he's on IR with adesignated for return tag

    LINK

    That was one of the new rules this year and he could be back for the playoffs

    Six weeks of practice off and 8 weeks of games (inactive) so not sure if the bye week counts or not so last game or playoffs which we can just insert the Jim Mora video here

  7. #87
    Zeus's Avatar
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Minnesota.
    Posts
    23,937
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    Fire Frazier
    Fire Musgrove
    Keep the D-coord(unless you can find someone better - shouldn't be hard)
    Get me a big Warpig in the middle
    Get me two WR's.

    Until that happens, we are going to continue to look like we've done the last few weeks.

    Again, one more time, just to make sure.....

    Fire Frazier
    Fire Musgrove
    Keep the D-coord (unless you can find someone better - shouldn't be hard)
    Get me a big Warpig in the middle
    Get me two WR's.
    Get a grip, Marty. This team is young, inexperienced and not very deep. the 4-1 start was a mirage.

    =Z=

    Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

  8. #88
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1
    Many teams are young and inexperienced. The coaches are supposed to experience them and it looks like our coaches are not doing as well as the other coaches in that respect.

  9. #89
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,266
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    Get a grip, Marty. This team is young, inexperienced and not very deep. the 4-1 start was a mirage.

    =Z=
    Just stop it!

    Exactly how many young & inexperienced guys do we have starting on offense again?

    How many young & inexperienced guys do we have starting on defense?

    I mean, let's be real people. Quit trying to make it sound as if 80-90% of our starters our rookies or first year starters. Let's also not forget that of those that are, some are playing at a high level. Kalil, Smith & Walsh for example.

    So which young, inexperienced guys are you blaming our losses & poor play on?

    So why is it we can't beat teams with young & inexperienced QB's with less than half the experience ours has?
    Last edited by singersp; 11-07-2012 at 05:45 AM.

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  10. #90
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,602
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Just stop it!

    Exactly how many young & inexperienced guys do we have starting on offense again?

    How many young & inexperienced guys do we have starting on defense?

    I mean, let's be real people. Quit trying to make it sound as if 80-90% of our starters our rookies or first year starters. Let's also not forget that of those that are, some are playing at a high level. Kalil, Smith & Walsh for example.

    So which young, inexperienced guys are you blaming our losses & poor play on?

    So why is it we can't beat teams with young & inexperienced QB's with less than half the experience ours has?
    I thought I read that we have the second youngest team in the NFL right now. Whether you want to admit it or not, that does make a difference. Not all the difference of course, but it is a factor.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •