Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    RK.
    RK. is online now Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by marshallvike View Post
    2011, 3 wins all year
    2012, 5 wins in 1st half of season
    =better team
    Maybe it just = a different schedule and season.

WWBGD

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own
    Where are the derogatory nicknames for Ponder? Hmmm....

Our team is pretty awful, but you have to look at our GM for thinking Christian Ponder and Jerome Simpson were the answers. I guess this had to happen in order for everyone to see how inept Spielman truly is... in case you weren't paying attention to his entire career.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mac D View Post
    Where are the derogatory nicknames for Ponder? Hmmm....

Our team is pretty awful, but you have to look at our GM for thinking Christian Ponder and Jerome Simpson were the answers. I guess this had to happen in order for everyone to see how inept Spielman truly is... in case you weren't paying attention to his entire career.
    Well considering this was the first year that Spielman was fully in charge, I'd say that I'm happy with how he's done so far. I think we need a new OC and a field stretching WR (obviously) and maybe I'm crazy, but I still believe in Ponder.

The most frustrating part of this game was how Peterson only had 4-5 carries in the 2nd half. That is where the biggest problems lie. What the HELL!? Why can we not at least double his carries, if not more? We would have won the game and he could have broken his record too.
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own
    Quote Originally Posted by 12purplepride28 View Post
    Well considering this was the first year that Spielman was fully in charge, I'd say that I'm happy with how he's done so far. I think we need a new OC and a field stretching WR (obviously) and maybe I'm crazy, but I still believe in Ponder.

The most frustrating part of this game was how Peterson only had 4-5 carries in the 2nd half. That is where the biggest problems lie. What the HELL!? Why can we not at least double his carries, if not more? We would have won the game and he could have broken his record too.
    Well, yes... that goes back to coaching, which is atrocious also.

We were lucky at the beginning of the season to eek by with some wins, but as teams reach mid-season form... we're being exposed as frauds.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    Yup, they are who we thought they were: a young, rebuilding team. I was happy we were within 3 at the half, on the road, in a very, very loud stadium vs. a good defense...THANKS to Peterson and our Defense for keeping it close! Overall, I thought we'd lose, so not entirely bad.

Ponder is making bad decisions and zoning in on one option way too much. It is true, there are downs that somebody gets open and he does have a lil bit of time to make something good happen, but he fails to see it. But it's also true that his confidence is down because he's now spent most of the first half of the season looking for guys who aren't open and finding a face full of defenders running him down instead. Our poor passing offense is the result of all three phases; QB, OL, & WRs sucking at one point or another, and rarely, all executing together on any given down.

That said, we're still not seeing any adjustments to our play-calling to help them out either. IF Ponder isn't good at hitting guys in stride on slants, they need to practice it more, over and over until they get the timing right, cuz the line ain't holding vs. the ole zone blitz and we need to do something different to beat it. High percentage throws are fine, but they can't be the only ones we make, or we are right back where we were with the Chiller, with all 22 guys in the first 10 yards and no room to work. The same defense that clogs the short passing game also puts defenders all over our running game.

And I know they want to see Ponder progress, but when a young QB looks that scared and off his game, it is time to put somebody else in...he needs to know that accepting defeat is NOT an option.
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by purplehelmut View Post
    Get ready for 7-9. Peterson is the only reason I'll watch the Vikings. Too bad we're wasting him on letting Frazier, Musgrave, and Ponder trying to figure out how to play and coach in this league.
    7-9?? Wow, still that optimistic? I don't see anywhere we eek out two more wins. Our schedule after the bye has been well talked about, we might (and that's a big MIGHT) have a small chance at winning in St. Louis. Our four games against the top two in our division after the bye will blow us out and so will Houston. And we won't beat the lions this week. I'm sorry, but 5-11 is a hell of a lot more likely than 7-9.

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by vikinggreg View Post
    So how do those number match up with other guys in the league like
    Rodgers 56% 11-20 and 38% 21-30
    Cutler 49% 11-20 and 32% 21-30
    Stafford 45% 11-20 and 23% 21-30

Just thought we should get some idea of how the other guys in our own division are doing in that 11-30 zone, not going into the 30+ just cause Ponder is a big zero there and its also just as small amount of the actual throws by any of the guys. I guess just based on those numbers he's right in the running with the other guys but based on yesterday games I thought he should have been on the bench in the 4th quarter.
    He may fit in with other QB's in our division, but that doesn't mean it's good enough.

Rodger's has struggled this year at times, which is why his numbers appear lower. We all know he's can be a better QB than that. His QB rating is 107 to Ponder's 82. Huge difference. He's also thrown 25 TD's to Ponder's 10.

Stafford? I always thought he was over rated & I wouldn't want him for our franchise QB.

Cutler is only so-so, despite the Bears winning record.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Quote Originally Posted by marshallvike View Post

Seriously, marr?
    With that drastic a flip flop in that short a time period I am of the opinion you will be spending your AARP years performing as a damn fine politician.
    Marrdro explained.........

Quote Originally Posted by mountainviking View Post
    Our poor passing offense is the result of all three phases; QB, OL, & WRs sucking at one point or another, and rarely, all executing together on any given down.
    I would include our RB's inability to block or pick up a blitz on passing downs. If gthey're sending AD out, then they need to keep a FB or TE back to block.

Quote Originally Posted by mountainviking View Post
    IF Ponder isn't good at hitting guys in stride on slants, they need to practice it more, over and over until they get the timing right, cuz the line ain't holding vs. the ole zone blitz and we need to do something different to beat it.
    Can you imagine what our offense would be like if Ponder could hit Harvin & AD in full stride?

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    He may fit in with other QB's in our division, but that doesn't mean it's good enough.

Rodger's has struggled this year at times, which is why his numbers appear lower. We all know he's can be a better QB than that. His QB rating is 107 to Ponder's 82. Huge difference. He's also thrown 25 TD's to Ponder's 10.

Stafford? I always thought he was over rated & I wouldn't want him for our franchise QB.

Cutler is only so-so, despite the Bears winning record.
    Those other stats you bring up now weren't in the original post thats why I thought I'd bring it up, based on what you posted he is in the same neighborhood by percentage as the other QB's in our division, which is probably pretty similar to other QBs in the league. But I'd bet Ponders numbers are also a bit inflatted from his strong early start and has dropped over the last 3 weeks and unless they fix things will be drastically lower by the end of the season.

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast