Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

How to be a Vikings' Fan 101: Rivalry

Sat Jun 16, 2007 4:45 pm by Huddle Network

[size=13pt]How to be a Vikings' Fan 101: Rivalry[/size]

-- Sean Carabini, Minnesota Vikings

Wisconsin. America's dairy land. Rolling, lush, green fields, teeming with fattened, lactating cattle wearing straw hats and ribbons. Wild, untamed North woods full of ambling bears and Wiley coyotes. Un fettered rivers cutting their way through rock and soil, carving mighty dells and bluffs, bringing life to quiet pastures....

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

sleepagent is offline Hall of Famer

Re: How to be a Vikings' Fan 101: Rivalry

Interesting read.
    Not being from Minnesota or that "other" place, I never quite understood the deep resentment between the two.

Actually after reading the article . . . I still don't.
    I've always been a "gentlemen" fan / player where you fight to the death on the field . . . but shake hands after the game (and if necessary give credit or eat crow).

I guess that's what many believe to be "sportsmanship" . . . but again, I don't live up there . . . so I wouldn't understand.

"No Greater Friend . . . No Worse Enemy. U.S. MARINES"
    "FIND YOUR PASSION AND MAKE IT HAPPEN!"
    "SUCCESS LOOKS EASY TO THOSE THAT WEREN'T THERE WHEN IT WAS BEING ACHIEVED!"

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"sleepagent" wrote:
    Interesting read.
    Not being from Minnesota or that "other" place, I never quite understood the deep resentment between the two.

I've always been a "gentlemen" fan / player where you fight to the death on the field . . . but shake hands after the game (and if necessary give credit or eat crow).

I guess that's what many believe to be "sportsmanship" . . . but again, I don't live up there . . . so I wouldn't understand.
    Yeah, you have to live up here close to the border to understand that. Packer fans can be quite obnoxious.

If they win, you have to listen to them gloat all day long.

If they lose, you still have to listen to them rave about the 3 Super Bowls they won & Favre's 3 time MVP awards all day long.

Ironically, most of them weren't even born or were still toddlers when they won the first two, but they act like they were there sitting in the stands when they won them & it was the happiest days of their lives.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

MetalMike-LoudVike is offline Hall of Famer

This is ture living in wisconsin I am around my fair share of packer fans. It is all too true if they win you hear about it form a week while they praise lord farve of lamblow.
    They lose and Farve of lamblow does nothing wrong and it was the rest of the team that lost it for him, It also very true on how they brag about 3 super bowls that they won it is revolting.
    IN THE PITS ON THE RIVER BEDS EVRY VIKING FAN WILL RISE & VAHALLA SHALL REJOICE WITH THE MOST GLORIOUS PRIZE LOMBARDI'S TROPHY

sleepagent is offline Hall of Famer

"singersp" wrote:
    "sleepagent" wrote:
    Interesting read.

Yeah, you have to live up here close to the border to understand that. Packer fans can be quite obnoxious.

If they win, you have to listen to them gloat all day long.

If they lose, you still have to listen to them rave about the 3 Super Bowls they won & Favre's 3 time MVP awards all day long.

Ironically, most of them weren't even born or were still toddlers when they won the first two, but they act like they were there sitting in the stands when they won them & it was the happiest days of their lives.
    I lived in the Washington, D.C. (Cajun Country) for about 10 years and I got tired of hearing all the Redskin's crap (they had just won a Super Bowl) . . . so I can identify.

"No Greater Friend . . . No Worse Enemy. U.S. MARINES"
    "FIND YOUR PASSION AND MAKE IT HAPPEN!"
    "SUCCESS LOOKS EASY TO THOSE THAT WEREN'T THERE WHEN IT WAS BEING ACHIEVED!"

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

As a Vikings’ fan, I am no longer allowed to think this way about the state. Wisconsin, apparently, is shaped like a side view of an upper thigh and west-facing-buttock. [b]On the opposite side of the state to the buttock lies a small town in what looks like another anatomical anomaly but is actually a peninsula[b]
    Wisconsin is an ass, I like that.

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

Thing is, and he don't even mention it, we're so close together that it is pretty darn intermingled!
    People from WI work in MN and vice versa all the time...we are around them all the time.
    One of my best college friends is a Packer fan, and boy does the doo get deep when we watch one of those games together!!
    Especially late in the game, after we've had several beers to loosen our tongues
    HAR!

But, I've seen the worse ones too...the "how many rings do you have?" ones...even in the midst of a 4-12 season ???
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

lol, honestly i'm pretty bad.
    someone came into work last summer with a huge packers emblem on their truck and i refused to load up their machine, i made the new kid do it lol.

So let’s recap – what have I learned this week?

Minnesota good, Wisconsin bad.
    Awesome

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

Let me start with a little history - I was born and raised in MN.
    My mother, just about as big a Viking fan as me, taught the ways of Pruple Pride from a very early age.
    My first jersey (that I still have) is only big enough to fit a baby. .
    and will be the first jersey that my son/daughter will wear.

I moved to North Carolina about 6 years ago and shortly after met my (now) fiance.
    The first time I met her parents I walked in the door of their house for a BBQ, and I just happened to have a vikings shirt on.
    My soon-to-be father in law was wearing a Packers shirt.
    From that day on we are not allowed to speak to each other the week prior and the week after the Vikings/Packers games.
    The rivalry runs real deep. . . . . . . . .
    even 1500 miles away from "home base" for either of us.

Great read. . .
    I've sent it to my fiances dad. . .
    let's see what he thinks. . .
    hehehehehe

NDVikingFan66 is offline Team Alumni

I believe in heated rivalries, but also believe in good sportsmanship

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast