Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18
  1. #1
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,198

    How the Vikings' 2012 draft class came to be

    How the Vikings' 2012 draft class came to be


    How the Vikings' 2012 draft class came to be | StarTribune.com

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  2. #2
    HEY's Avatar
    HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    2,193
    Blog Entries
    1
    Great great read. It was very nice to lock back at last year's amazing draft. Thanks, singersp!

    Vikings' GM Rick Spielman comes out of this like a pure genius. I don't even know where to begin... there are so many positives to take from this draft.

    1. Drafting Matt Kalil. A left tackle who looks like he can be one of NFL's finest and cement Vikings' LT position for the next 10-15 years.

    2. Trading down from our first pick and STILL get the guy we want.

    Additionally, we have one of the best young centers and we signed our right tackle to a long contract (who has developed into one of the best run blockers in the league). I can't express how nice it feels not to worry about the offensive tackles and center for many many years. Thank you, Speilman!

    3. Trading a few spots up and drafting what looks like the best all-around safety the Vikings have had in a very long time. It was a huge need and a great decision. There are no glaring holes about Harrison Smith. He is a dangerous playmaker in coverage as the deep safety, but can also play down in the box and is an explosive tackler. I think he would be a great match-up 1-on1 against the best tight ends in the game with his size and speed. Deion Sanders was so impressed by his fluid hips that he said Harrison could even play cornerback. He's sort of like the defense' copy of Adrian Peterson as he has a great combination of size, speed, and athleticism. He's also a very instinctive and smart player who plays very though.

    4. Drafting a blazing fast cornerback who already has picked of a couple of INT's in limited snaps. Josh Robinson looks very promising. He probably will start this season and I'm looking forward to watch this guy. Finally, Minnesota has a secondary with relatively young, big and fast players with good ball-skills.

    4. NOT draft a receiver in the first or second day of the draft. All those receivers have had almost zero impact on the NFL so far.

    5. Drafting Jarius Wright in the fourth. A receiver with great production in college who has good hands and plenty of speed. He's around Harvin's size, but is versatile and has proved he can play a little on the outside too. I really like this young man and he seems to have a good character too.

    6. Drafting Rhett Ellison in the fourth. Some scratched their head on this one as Ellison doesn't have much of a "wow-factor", but that's kind of what makes him good. He's versatile and does everything. He has good size and is a solid blocker with underrated hands. He's a team player and has great work ethic and attitude... and drafting team players who shows their passion for the sport and good work ethics seams to be the Vikings' theme in this draft

    7. Drafting and taking a chance of Greg Childs. I still don't view this as a negative pick. Childs had a lot of hype leading up to his injury before the season even began, but taking a chance on a first round-talent in the 4th round is very fine by me. like that the Vikings think like that too. It seems to have worked very well with Everson Griffin so far. From what I've heard, Childs' recovery is looking good and the chapter on this book is not yet closed.

    8. Drafting Robert Blanton in the fifth round. A big corner who has the same traits as Harrison Smith. Could maybe play safety as I like the aggressiveness he has shown in the run game. Will be interesting to see how this guy develop.

    9. Drafting Blair White in 6th round. I know he is just a kicker, but this was the little diamond in a beautiful draft. Best of all is that everyone had big red flags on him because of his terrible senior season, but the Vikings saw that it could be fixed by adjusting his mechanics and... VOILA! Best NFL kicker of 2012!

    10. Drafting Audie Cole in the 7th round. Why not? Cole looked damn good in pre-season and has potential. Not a bad find in the last round of the draft.

    SKOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!!!!!!!!!

  3. #3
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,599
    Blog Entries
    1
    This was a really good article that offered a nice look into the mindset of those in the draft war room. My favorite part:
    So before leaving Spielman to his fun, Studwell made sure to reassert his stance: Kalil was a must get, no matter what kind of chatter caught the GM’s ear.

    “But what if we were to get some crazy, RG3-type compensation offer for that No. 3 pick?” Spielman asked, mostly trying to instigate Studwell.

    Studwell didn’t budge.

    “Don’t [bleep] this up,” he said. “Seriously. Get Kalil.”
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  4. #4
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,899
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    This was a really good article that offered a nice look into the mindset of those in the draft war room. My favorite part:


    Agree, a very good article...My favorite part.....

    The game plan for the middle-to-later rounds revolved around finding potential, guys who could be immediate special teams contributors while working their way up the depth chart.
    Kindof re-emphasized that guys like Cole aren't expected to start right away and that it will take time for them to get full up round.

    Seems like most fans these days expect them all to start right off the bat or they are labeled busts.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  5. #5
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,198
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post

    Kindof re-emphasized that guys like Cole aren't expected to start right away and that it will take time for them to get full up round.

    Seems like most fans these days expect them all to start right off the bat or they are labeled busts.
    Then there are those that believe the only reason that someone drafted in the 4th round didn't make the active roster is because the star player currently in that same positioned insisted that he be kept off it because he felt threatened by him.

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  6. #6
    tarkenton10's Avatar
    tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    2,152
    Quote Originally Posted by HEY View Post
    Great great read. It was very nice to lock back at last year's amazing draft. Thanks, singersp!

    Vikings' GM Rick Spielman comes out of this like a pure genius. I don't even know where to begin... there are so many positives to take from this draft.

    1. Drafting Matt Kalil. A left tackle who looks like he can be one of NFL's finest and cement Vikings' LT position for the next 10-15 years.

    2. Trading down from our first pick and STILL get the guy we want.

    Additionally, we have one of the best young centers and we signed our right tackle to a long contract (who has developed into one of the best run blockers in the league). I can't express how nice it feels not to worry about the offensive tackles and center for many many years. Thank you, Speilman!

    3. Trading a few spots up and drafting what looks like the best all-around safety the Vikings have had in a very long time. It was a huge need and a great decision. There are no glaring holes about Harrison Smith. He is a dangerous playmaker in coverage as the deep safety, but can also play down in the box and is an explosive tackler. I think he would be a great match-up 1-on1 against the best tight ends in the game with his size and speed. Deion Sanders was so impressed by his fluid hips that he said Harrison could even play cornerback. He's sort of like the defense' copy of Adrian Peterson as he has a great combination of size, speed, and athleticism. He's also a very instinctive and smart player who plays very though.

    4. Drafting a blazing fast cornerback who already has picked of a couple of INT's in limited snaps. Josh Robinson looks very promising. He probably will start this season and I'm looking forward to watch this guy. Finally, Minnesota has a secondary with relatively young, big and fast players with good ball-skills.

    4. NOT draft a receiver in the first or second day of the draft. All those receivers have had almost zero impact on the NFL so far.

    5. Drafting Jarius Wright in the fourth. A receiver with great production in college who has good hands and plenty of speed. He's around Harvin's size, but is versatile and has proved he can play a little on the outside too. I really like this young man and he seems to have a good character too.

    6. Drafting Rhett Ellison in the fourth. Some scratched their head on this one as Ellison doesn't have much of a "wow-factor", but that's kind of what makes him good. He's versatile and does everything. He has good size and is a solid blocker with underrated hands. He's a team player and has great work ethic and attitude... and drafting team players who shows their passion for the sport and good work ethics seams to be the Vikings' theme in this draft

    7. Drafting and taking a chance of Greg Childs. I still don't view this as a negative pick. Childs had a lot of hype leading up to his injury before the season even began, but taking a chance on a first round-talent in the 4th round is very fine by me. like that the Vikings think like that too. It seems to have worked very well with Everson Griffin so far. From what I've heard, Childs' recovery is looking good and the chapter on this book is not yet closed.

    8. Drafting Robert Blanton in the fifth round. A big corner who has the same traits as Harrison Smith. Could maybe play safety as I like the aggressiveness he has shown in the run game. Will be interesting to see how this guy develop.

    9. Drafting Blair White in 6th round. I know he is just a kicker, but this was the little diamond in a beautiful draft. Best of all is that everyone had big red flags on him because of his terrible senior season, but the Vikings saw that it could be fixed by adjusting his mechanics and... VOILA! Best NFL kicker of 2012!

    10. Drafting Audie Cole in the 7th round. Why not? Cole looked damn good in pre-season and has potential. Not a bad find in the last round of the draft.

    SKOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!!!!!!!!!
    Spot on, we can only hope for another draft like that and we will be a very good team. If we can do that next year will be in the super bowl. That would be fifteen starters in three years and if they play like Kalil, Harrison and Walsh (Not White) we will have pro bowlers all over the place. We got five starters out of the '12 class. Kalil (pro bowl), Harrison (should have been a pro bowler), Robinson (will start this year), Wright (should start in the slot), Walsh (all Pro kicker). That is a d**n good draft.

    Considering the talent we already had Jared Allen, AD, Greenway, Williams, Robison, Griffen, Rudolph, Loadholdt, Sullivan,

    That would give us a heck of a team. JA, AD and Rudolph are pro bowlers. Sullivan, Robison and Griffen are a step below that level. And Loadholdt is dominant at one aspect of his game (the run game). So they are very good football players.

    I say two more great drafts and we are super bowl bound. The problem is if you want to make a super bowl and build your team like speilman wants to, you can't miss for at least three years straight on the first four rounds. They all have to be homeruns!!

    There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

  7. #7
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,599
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Then there are those that believe the only reason that someone drafted in the 4th round didn't make the active roster is because the star player currently in that same positioned insisted that he be kept off it because he felt threatened by him.
    Wait, what?

    That is the first time I have heard THAT conspiracy theory... who has been saying that? Has anyone actually been saying that?
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  8. #8
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,198
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    Wait, what?

    That is the first time I have heard THAT conspiracy theory... who has been saying that? Has anyone actually been saying that?
    Take a guess....

    Marty Soder Everyone is expendable, however, Wright should be that much better than he was last year when he came in (basically cold off the bench) after sitting behind Percy because he threw a fit if he was put on the roster.
    He didn't like Wright being on the team (MY ASSUMPTION) and he let the coaching staff know it (MY ASSUMPTION) because he worried that Wright would do well enough to warrant letting Percy leave (FACT).
    And here's the guy that agreed with Marty...

    Daniel...seriously, THINK for a second. How many slot receivers does a team typically have on its roster? Normally, ONE. Percy is a slot receiver. And guess what, Jarius Wright is also a slot receiver. Are you starting to pick it up now? Regardless of what round Wright was drafted, he was drafted as a SLOT RECEIVER. There was more going on behind the scenes on top of all the dysfunction (and there was quite a bit) Percy showed on the surface. Wright was drafted as a contingency plan and you'd be pretty clueless not to gather that Percy WAS threatened by that.
    Forget for ONE SECOND that Wright was a rookie fourth round pick. Percy knew why he was drafted....and based on his history, I don't think you can give him the benefit of the doubt that he DIDN'T bitch and moan about Wright potentially being activated off the practice squad. Seriously dude, wake up.

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  9. #9
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,899
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Then there are those that believe the only reason that someone drafted in the 4th round didn't make the active roster is because the star player currently in that same positioned insisted that he be kept off it because he felt threatened by him.
    There is a clear and distinct difference between a "BELIEF" and something thrown out there to stimulate a "DISCUSSION"

    As many times as you've seen me work a discussion you think you above all would know the difference.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  10. #10
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,899
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    Wait, what?

    That is the first time I have heard THAT conspiracy theory... who has been saying that? Has anyone actually been saying that?
    LOL, I was throwing it out there as a means to explain why in the heck the staff never had the kid on the roster or tried to use him on the field at the same time as Percy.

    We all know that Percy was a diva. To think that maybe he had some issue with the kid isn't that far of a reach I don't think.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •