Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25
  1. #1
    Braddock's Avatar
    Braddock is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Clermont, FL
    Posts
    1,630

    How the Super Bowl changed my Draft philosophy

    Prior to last night's dismantling of the Broncos by Seattle in the Super Bowl, I was a loud proponent of mortgaging the house and farm to get our QB of the future. (Preferably Manziel)

    However, after last night's defensive display, I am completely on board with giving Zimmer the picks to beef up our defense as much as possible. With all the picks we have in the top 3 rounds, we have great potential to add a lot of talent to our defense (and maybe 1 QB). So, bravo Seattle--you made a defensive believer out of me.
    Trying to bring rationale to an irrational site

  2. #2
    bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,940
    I see your point... I still think we need a QB.. not mortgage our future... but without Wilson, Seattle would have lost to San Francisco and never even been in the Super Bowl....

    Manning is also a choker in key games.. has been since Tennessee.... They were just completely unprepared and overmatched... but your point is a valid one.

  3. #3
    RK.'s Avatar
    RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    4,443
    I heard the comment several times that they built most of the defense with 7th and 8th round picks not first or second round guys. Obviously their GM knows how to evaluate talent.

    WWBGD

  4. #4
    mountainviking's Avatar
    mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,776
    SEA also got some good deals in FA like Mike Bennett and Cliff Avril...guys who have been solid starters but aren't breaking the bank with their contracts. There are some early picks there too. Earl Thomas was an early first, Bruce Irvin as well. A few 2nd rounders there too. I'd say they got lucky on some late picks, but they have also invested wisely in their defense.

    I think Pete Carroll may have had some inside info on some of these guys having either coached them himself, or against them on the college level.
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

    "Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

  5. #5
    smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    859
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainviking View Post
    SEA also got some good deals in FA like Mike Bennett and Cliff Avril...guys who have been solid starters but aren't breaking the bank with their contracts. There are some early picks there too. Earl Thomas was an early first, Bruce Irvin as well. A few 2nd rounders there too. I'd say they got lucky on some late picks, but they have also invested wisely in their defense.

    I think Pete Carroll may have had some inside info on some of these guys having either coached them himself, or against them on the college level.
    They said Pete Carroll recruited the top 150 high school players every year he coached at USC. That gave him a wealth of knowledge other professional talent evaluators may not have had. Sounds reasonable.
    At any rate, they are on top and Spielman is on the bottom, looking up.
    I'd like to say something positive, but this was one of the worst seasons I have endured as a Vikings fan.

  6. #6
    rockymtdan's Avatar
    rockymtdan is offline Rookie
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Penrose Co 81240
    Posts
    121
    Quote Originally Posted by Braddock View Post
    Prior to last night's dismantling of the Broncos by Seattle in the Super Bowl, I was a loud proponent of mortgaging the house and farm to get our QB of the future. (Preferably Manziel)

    However, after last night's defensive display, I am completely on board with giving Zimmer the picks to beef up our defense as much as possible. With all the picks we have in the top 3 rounds, we have great potential to add a lot of talent to our defense (and maybe 1 QB). So, bravo Seattle--you made a defensive believer out of me.
    I completely agree. I guess I like the high flying offense but I would like a Superbowl a lot more.
    I sure hope Spilmen was taken notes yesterday and hands over some early picks to defense.
    Go ahead back up your to close away.

  7. #7
    VikesfaninWis's Avatar
    VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    5,053
    Screw the Seahawks. Now Rice and Jackson get a SB ring for doing nothing but looking dumb on the sidelines, and the little Diva Bitch Harvin gets a ring for doing nothing since being traded there, then making a few plays in 1 game all season. What a joke.

  8. #8
    drewlovs's Avatar
    drewlovs is offline Pro-Bowler
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    404
    I think Manning did well, and did NOT choke; I also think the Denver defense did well too, but the "weapons" on the Denver offense dropped the ball, figuratively and literally.

    Yeah, Manning had a couple over-throws, but on the whole, no QB can throw straight when their throwing arm is being smacked, or the center hikes the ball over his head. The Thomas duo was an embarrassment last night.

    Seattle didn't turn it on, as usual, until the second half...but they were the only ones who turned anything on the whole night. Since we did not get to see a top offense on its "A" game playing a top defense on ITS "A" game, I'm not sure we learned anything besides the broncos need to get their heads out of their asses a bit sooner when they are playing in the Super Bowl.
    Men are moved by two levers only: fear and self interest.
    ~Napoleon Bonaparte

  9. #9
    tarkenton10's Avatar
    tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    2,152
    Quote Originally Posted by bleedpurple View Post
    I see your point... I still think we need a QB.. not mortgage our future... but without Wilson, Seattle would have lost to San Francisco and never even been in the Super Bowl....

    Manning is also a choker in key games.. has been since Tennessee.... They were just completely unprepared and overmatched... but your point is a valid one.
    Manning didn't choke, he was harassed the whole game. Not many QBs would have done better, the one INT wasn't his fault he got hit as he was releasing the ball. He was hit and hurried all game. The line had a bad game if you want to point fingers as to who choked.

    There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

  10. #10
    MaxVike's Avatar
    MaxVike is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    2,507
    Quote Originally Posted by tarkenton10 View Post
    Manning didn't choke, he was harassed the whole game. Not many QBs would have done better, the one INT wasn't his fault he got hit as he was releasing the ball. He was hit and hurried all game. The line had a bad game if you want to point fingers as to who choked.
    I was at the game and totally agree. Manning had no time, and, any separation by a Broncos receiver was a miracle. Julius Thomas and Eric Decker were non factors. Ditto Broncos running game. Manning didn't choke, the Seahawks delivered an epic defensive performance.

    The Seahawks were more physical, faster, and simply smothered the Broncos. The tone of the game was set early...the opening kickoff. Then, on the Bronco's second possession when Demarius Thomas was crushed by Kam Chancellor on a short crossing route.

    Also, the 12th man, or "12" is real...impressive fans.

    Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •