Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

Re: How Percy Harvin Changes the Vikings Playbook in 2009

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "tastywaves" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "tastywaves" wrote:
    [quote author=Garland Greene link=topic=52005.msg952165#msg952165 date=1243429788]
    The minute the author started talking about running the Wildcat he lost all credibility. Wht next he will start telling us that we should run the wishbone, Flexbone or the veer?
    LOL.
    Don't get this board going down the wishbone path again GG.
    I wondered what Marr was going to think about the 3 back sets, 5 WR's and wildcat options.
    This dude PH gives us unlimited possibilities with our offense, one only has to open their imagination, draw it in the sand and go for it.
    System and scheme be damned, Percy is in the house.

pH+ it is.

I for one would be excited to see that stuff especially stuff like 4 wides.

Chanted for it the whole Iggles game.
    As BPnG.
    I don't see it happening with TJ (his head doesn't turn in that many directions).
    Maybe with Sage, more likely with Favre.
    In that case do you really want to see it?
    Well, I think TJ could do it if the OL would give him time to get through those reads...... ;D
    or if he didn't hold onto the ball too long, the line wouldn't have to block for 6 seconds. It works both ways :P
    [/quote]

Exactly.
    With TJ you require a lot more from the OL then with other WCO minded QB's.
    The best way for TJ to buy time is to make throws when he's getting pressure and force the defense to back off a bit.
    This is what Favre did in his hay day, he relished the all out pressure from defenses and made them punish dearly.

Good QB's make average OL's look as good as good OL's make average QB's look good.
    I feel like I should have thrown a woodchuck in that last sentence.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"tastywaves" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "tastywaves" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    [quote author=tastywaves link=topic=52005.msg952386#msg952386 date=1243450650]
    [quote author=Garland Greene link=topic=52005.msg952165#msg952165 date=1243429788]
    The minute the author started talking about running the Wildcat he lost all credibility. Wht next he will start telling us that we should run the wishbone, Flexbone or the veer?
    LOL.
    I wondered what Marr was going to think about the 3 back sets, 5 WR's and wildcat options.
    This dude PH gives us unlimited possibilities with our offense, one only has to open their imagination, draw it in the sand and go for it.

pH+ it is.

As BPnG.
    I don't see it happening with TJ (his head doesn't turn in that many directions).
    Well, I think TJ could do it if the OL would give him time to get through those reads...... ;D
    or if he didn't hold onto the ball too long, the line wouldn't have to block for 6 seconds. It works both ways :P
    [/quote]

Exactly.
    The best way for TJ to buy time is to make throws when he's getting pressure and force the defense to back off a bit.
    This is what Favre did in his hay day, he relished the all out pressure from defenses and made them punish dearly.

Good QB's make average OL's look as good as good OL's make average QB's look good.
    [/quote]

thats why the packers mainly rookie OL looked great with Favre, but barely adaquate with Rogers.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"tastywaves" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "tastywaves" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    LOL.

pH+ it is.

As BPnG.
    [/quote]

Exactly.

[/quote]
    Another great point that IMHO is kindof expected.
    Problem is, our OL wasn't good enough to give him that extra time, at least on a consistent basis which kindof attributed to some of his "Jumpiness" in the pocket.

I guess the Chiller and staff assumed he would be able to work his way through it on the field.
    I am not so sure that was the right path.

He still struggled a bit last year with reading D's and in most cases, seemed a bit unsure of what was gonna happen with the OL, especially in the Iggles game.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Blog Entries

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "tastywaves" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "tastywaves" wrote:
    [quote author=Marrdro link=topic=52005.msg952390#msg952390 date=1243450848]
    LOL.

pH+ it is.

As BPnG.
    [/quote]

Exactly.

[/quote]
    Problem is, our OL wasn't good enough to give him that extra time, at least on a consistent basis which kindof attributed to some of his "Jumpiness" in the pocket.

I guess the Chiller and staff assumed he would be able to work his way through it on the field.

He still struggled a bit last year with reading D's and in most cases, seemed a bit unsure of what was gonna happen with the OL, especially in the Iggles game.
    [/quote]

how many are?
    We were spoiled with the Minnesota moving company, back in the late 90s and early 2000's, but that was pretty much a dream lineup.
    You'd be hard pressed to find a line that good in the league.

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "tastywaves" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    [quote author=tastywaves link=topic=52005.msg952394#msg952394 date=1243451066]
    LOL.

pH+ it is.

As BPnG.
    [/quote]

Exactly.

[/quote]

[/quote]

how many are?
    We were spoiled with the Minnesota moving company, back in the late 90s and early 2000's, but that was pretty much a dream lineup.
    [/quote]
    Agreed, but this line can/could be a bit better, especially up the middle with delayed blitz's/stunts.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Blog Entries

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "tastywaves" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    [quote author=Marrdro link=topic=52005.msg952396#msg952396 date=1243451161]
    LOL.

pH+ it is.

As BPnG.
    [/quote]

Exactly.

[/quote]

[/quote]

how many are?
    [/quote]
    Agreed, but this line can/could be a bit better, especially up the middle with delayed blitz's/stunts.
    [/quote]

same could be saida bout anything.

the way I see it, the coaching staff obviously isn't as concerned about the play of the interior line as they are about getting a QB who can get rid of the ball.
    They canned gus, who did the same thing, they got Sage, who if anything is an upgrade in the pocket awareness department.
    They let birk walk without a replacement, did nothing to light a fire under Hererra's ass.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "tastywaves" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "tastywaves" wrote:
    LOL.

pH+ it is.

As BPnG.
    [/quote]

Exactly.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Agreed that it is asking a lot for a young QB to come into the league and perform when the OL is not performing above average.
    I do think the expectations were higher for the OL play with the talent we put on the field.
    I also believe though that our running game was emphasized largely to try and limit the qb exposure as much as possible.
    I don't think Childress came to MN thinking he wanted to run a run dominated offense, but rather was forced to go in that direction with the personnel movements that happened.

"tastywaves" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "tastywaves" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    LOL.

pH+ it is.

As BPnG.
    [/quote]

Exactly.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Agreed that it is asking a lot for a young QB to come into the league and perform when the OL is not performing above average.
    I do think the expectations were higher for the OL play with the talent we put on the field.
    I also believe though that our running game was emphasized largely to try and limit the qb exposure as much as possible.
    I don't think Childress came to MN thinking he wanted to run a run dominated offense, but rather was forced to go in that direction with the personnel movements that happened.

[/quote]
    You talk good sense my friend........

Starting with Pepp.
    I wonder were we would be if.......

BJ could have held down the fort long enough to get Pepp healthy.
    Pepp would have rehabbed and been available late in the 2006 campaign.
    TJ could have sat and learned from the bench.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"tastywaves" wrote:

People talk about competition at the QB level to force the players to play better. What did we have on out line last year?

LT - No competion

LG - No competion

C - No competion other than rookie Sullivan

RG - No competion

RT - Competition between Cook & Hicks. Johnson seemed to be a non-factor.

The only other competition involved Radovitch, but he had a season ending injury.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Changing coaches would change the playbook.

Unless they get the basics down and execute them without mistakes i don't see how we are going to be expanding any playbook this year. Factor in a new Center and a new RT and I am not expecting anything more complex to be run this year.

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast