Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: How Percy Harvin Changes the Vikings Playbook in 2009

[size=13pt]The 2009 Minnesota Vikings: The Man Who Will Make or Break the Season[/size]

No, not Adrian Peterson. And no, not that starting quarterback who has yet to be identified.

The Minnesota Vikings have worked, prepared, and established themselves as one of the better teams in the NFC and the NFL for that matter. But there always seems to be one Achilles’ heel that prevents the Vikings from hoisting the Lombardi trophy in the Super Bowl.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Thanks for the read my friend.

I can’t even imagine what Peterson will be able to do to defenses with only an eight-man box in front of him. The sky will be the limit, or at least the Metrodome ceiling.
    Its stuff like that, which makes me think that site has some authors who know what the hell they are talking about.

Long story short, teams have been beating 8 in the box in the running game for years.
    Not sure why the hell all of a sudden it seems to be the "In Thing" with the talking heads to say our running woes stem from seeing 8 in the box.

Whats even more mystifying, the mindless masses have bought into it.
    :'(

Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    Thanks for the read My Sexy Little Pixie.

I can’t even imagine what Peterson will be able to do to defenses with only an eight-man box in front of him. The sky will be the limit, or at least the Metrodome ceiling.
    Its stuff like that, which makes me think that site has some authors who know what the hell they are talking about.

Long story short, teams have been beating 8 in the box in the running game for years.
    Not sure why the hell all of a sudden it seems to be the "In Thing" with the talking heads to say our running woes stem from seeing 8 in the box.

And how will not having Defenses able to stack the line on us anymore NOT help our running game?

Caine

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"Caine" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

And how will not having Defenses able to stack the line on us anymore NOT help our running game?

Caine
    Thats not what I am saying.
    I am saying that teams have been putting 8 in the box long before AD ever came around and teams still ran against it.

For some reason, of late, everyone now thinks it can't be done.

Hell, AD sure has chocked up alot of yards running against, even with the shabby QB play we have had.
    Again, just mystifies me why everyone harps...

We are gonna see 8 in the box...
    We can't run against 8 in the box......
    Teams are gonna put 8 in the box......
    The sky is falling the sky is falling.....
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni

We are going to have even more success against 8-9 in the box, simply by putting Harvin in motion. He has to be accounted for. Multiple reciever sets, with a healthy Rice, another speedster in BB, using motion to create mismatches will force Defenses to show their hand more, making it easier to read what they are doing. Bottom line is, we have the speed on the outside that has to be respected, and this will open more rushing lanes for AD, who must be pretty excited about this up coming season. I know I am. The sky is the limit, causing defender's to get juke'd outta their jock straps. ;D

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "Caine" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

Caine
    I am saying that teams have been putting 8 in the box long before AD ever came around and teams still ran against it.

Hell, AD sure has chocked up alot of yards running against, even with the shabby QB play we have had.

It isn't that we CAN'T run against 8 or even 9 in the box.
    And it isn't as thnough no one else ever has.
    What has everyone drooling is the prospect of NOT having 8 or 9 in the box for a change and the damage AP can do with fewer people in a position to make a play on him early.

Our sad sack QB situation hasn't allowed us to really experience AP without having the line of scrimmage loaded, and since we apparantly can't really change the QB situation, people are hopeful that changing the WR situation will alleviate the craptastic QB situation.

I say we should simply fix the Head Coach situation, and everything else will fall into place.

Caine

kspurplepride is offline Pro-Bowler

"Caine" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "Caine" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

Caine

What has everyone drooling is the prospect of NOT having 8 or 9 in the box for a change and the damage AP can do with fewer people in a position to make a play on him early.

Our sad sack QB situation hasn't allowed us to really experience AP without having the line of scrimmage loaded, and since we apparantly can't really change the QB situation, people are hopeful that changing the WR situation will alleviate the craptastic QB situation.

I say we should simply fix the Head Coach situation, and everything else will fall into place.

Caine
    Well what should happen is when they stack the line like that, the corners should drop off of the bump and run. If that is the case we should be sending BB and Harvin down the sidelines and shianco out in the flat, and just let the ball fly. TJ has a great deep ball, contrary to a lot the comments on this board, and given the weapons he has now could do amazing things. It only takes 1 or 2 of those long pass plays to pull the defense out and open up running lanes for Purple Jesus

"kspurplepride" wrote:
    "Caine" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "Caine" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

Caine

Caine
    Well what should happen is when they stack the line like that, the corners should drop off of the bump and run. If that is the case we should be sending BB and Harvin down the sidelines and shianco out in the flat, and just let the ball fly. TJ has a great deep ball, contrary to a lot the comments on this board, and given the weapons he has now could do amazing things. It only takes 1 or 2 of those long pass plays to pull the defense out and open up running lanes for Purple Jesus
    Oh, I agree with what they SHOULD have done - problem is, he wasn't able to do that last season...and neither could Gus.
    And now that Harvin is here, some think that HE will be the one to finally force defenses back.
    That's a testament to how little faith in our QB's we Viking fans actually have.

Caine

Caine

kspurplepride is offline Pro-Bowler

the problem is he wasn't given the chance... the coaches have no faith in him, or are completely incompetent (i'd lean toward the latter). Jackson has shown he has vision, talent, and amazing athletism. He's shown flashes of brilliance when the coaches give him the chance. The toss to Sidney at the end of the season two years ago was the exact kind of play I was talking about. He had 5 deep completions (don't quote me on that, and i believe that is qualified as 40 yards or more?) last year in the what 6-7 games he started? Where Gus had 7 or 8 in the 9 - 10 games he started, and one of them Berrian was wide the floop open. I remember a number of times that Jackson hit TWill in stride right in the numbers in traffic and Twill dropped them. Shianco didn't help us either two years ago, or the first 4 games last year. Drops will kill a good QB, ask Derek Anderson.

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

"kspurplepride" wrote:
    the problem is he wasn't given the chance... the coaches have no faith in him, or are completely incompetent (i'd lean toward the latter). Jackson has shown he has vision, talent, and amazing athletism. He's shown flashes of brilliance when the coaches give him the chance. The toss to Sidney at the end of the season two years ago was the exact kind of play I was talking about. He had 5 deep completions (don't quote me on that, and i believe that is qualified as 40 yards or more?) last year in the what 6-7 games he started? Where Gus had 7 or 8 in the 9 - 10 games he started, and one of them Berrian was wide the floop open. I remember a number of times that Jackson hit TWill in stride right in the numbers in traffic and Twill dropped them. Shianco didn't help us either two years ago, or the first 4 games last year. Drops will kill a good QB, ask Derek Anderson.

+1 son

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast