Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Vikings United's Avatar
    Vikings United is offline Waterboy
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    4

    How Much Are The Vikings Worth?

    Just wondering really seeing as though Malcolm glazer bought Manchester United for about £850m which equates to over $1bn or something like that.

    Just interested to see if anyone were to buy out the Vikes how much it would cost?

    Although i'm not sure about takeovers of sports teams in America and how different it would work there.

    For example would you ever have an owner of the Vikings who had no idea about the sport? (like Malcolm Glazer with Manchester United)
    Who Would Have Thought It?

  2. #2
    Zeus's Avatar
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Minnesota.
    Posts
    23,937

    Re: How Much Are The Vikings Worth?

    "Vikings" wrote:
    Just wondering really seeing as though Malcolm glazer bought Manchester United for about £850m which equates to over $1bn or something like that.

    Just interested to see if anyone were to buy out the Vikes how much it would cost?

    Although i'm not sure about takeovers of sports teams in America and how different it would work there.

    For example would you ever have an owner of the Vikings who had no idea about the sport? (like Malcolm Glazer with Manchester United)
    Outside of the Green Bay Packers, all teams in the NFL are privately owned.
    So, for anyone to purchase the Vikings, they would need to negotiate directly with the current ownership group, led by Zygi Wilf.
    And even though the Packers are "privately" owned, the vast majority of the "ownership" shares are non-voting.

    If I recall the ManU sale, the Glazers were able to purchase shares of the team through an open market (of some sort) and thus ended up with controlling interest in the team.


    As to the value, I believe the last estimates put the Vikes somewhere in the $650 million range.

    =Z=

    Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

  3. #3
    Vikings United's Avatar
    Vikings United is offline Waterboy
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    4

    Re: How Much Are The Vikings Worth?

    "Zeus" wrote:
    "Vikings" wrote:
    Just wondering really seeing as though Malcolm glazer bought Manchester United for about £850m which equates to over $1bn or something like that.

    Just interested to see if anyone were to buy out the Vikes how much it would cost?

    Although i'm not sure about takeovers of sports teams in America and how different it would work there.

    For example would you ever have an owner of the Vikings who had no idea about the sport? (like Malcolm Glazer with Manchester United)
    Outside of the Green Bay Packers, all teams in the NFL are privately owned.
    So, for anyone to purchase the Vikings, they would need to negotiate directly with the current ownership group, led by Zygi Wilf.
    And even though the Packers are "privately" owned, the vast majority of the "ownership" shares are non-voting.

    If I recall the ManU sale, the Glazers were able to purchase shares of the team through an open market (of some sort) and thus ended up with controlling interest in the team.


    As to the value, I believe the last estimates put the Vikes somewhere in the $650 million range.

    =Z=
    Right, thanks for that.

    Yeah you're right about the United takeover, we were floated on the stock market so anyone with the money* could come in and buy shares, laws over here in England say if one man has 30% shares he has to make a takeover bid.

    *Unfortunately Glazer doesn't have the money and has put us into debt of over $850m.
    Who Would Have Thought It?

  4. #4
    AngloVike's Avatar
    AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Sandhurst, UK
    Posts
    6,784
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: How Much Are The Vikings Worth?

    "Vikings" wrote:
    Just wondering really seeing as though Malcolm glazer bought Manchester United for about £850m which equates to over $1bn or something like that.

    Just interested to see if anyone were to buy out the Vikes how much it would cost?

    Although i'm not sure about takeovers of sports teams in America and how different it would work there.

    For example would you ever have an owner of the Vikings who had no idea about the sport? (like Malcolm Glazer with Manchester United)
    There was a valutaion by Forbes who wne through all 32 teams, with the Vikes placed at #32
    http://www.forbes.com/lists/2007/30/...gs_309201.html
    They valued the team at $782m ( £1.5B at current exchange rate ). Generally the owners of US sports franchises tend to be fairly knowledgeable about the game, especially given the money that is involved with owning a team. Even taking a team like Man Utd, Chelsea or Liverpool, then it is easier for an owner to buy in even if they know little about the game as the money involved is that much smaller - least by US standards !

    Also with football clubs at home it is possible to have many co-directors on the board, whereas with the NFL the rules dictate that there has to be a majority shareholder in the ownership. That was why the Vikes 'gang of 10' ownership finally sold out the team to McCombs back in '98 to bring the team into line with the rules.
    The only exception that I know of is Green Bay where it is 'owned' by fans who possess bits of paper telling them that. I don't know how that came about or why that continues, maybe someone else can explain that little bit of trivia.

    Incidentally Vikings United go to the Free Beer forum and introduce yourself there.
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...


  5. #5
    ultravikingfan's Avatar
    ultravikingfan is offline Administrator
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    24,514

    Re: How Much Are The Vikings Worth?


  6. #6
    vikesfargo's Avatar
    vikesfargo is offline Asst. Coach
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    600

    Re: How Much Are The Vikings Worth?

    We're not the most expensive team in the league right now because of the stadium situation. Secondly, we haven't won a lot lately. Back in 97 the team's monetary net worth was higher. Either the Patriots or Cowboys are the most valuable NFL team.


    Go Vikings!

  7. #7
    Vikes_King's Avatar
    Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    7,104

    Re: How Much Are The Vikings Worth?

    "vikesfargo" wrote:
    We're not the most expensive team in the league right now because of the stadium situation. Secondly, we haven't won a lot lately. Back in 97 the team's monetary net worth was higher. Either the Patriots or Cowboys are the most valuable NFL team.
    Cowboys are.


    http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

    "We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

    - Dan Calabrese

  8. #8
    Zeus's Avatar
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Minnesota.
    Posts
    23,937

    Re: How Much Are The Vikings Worth?

    "Vikes_King" wrote:
    "vikesfargo" wrote:
    We're not the most expensive team in the league right now because of the stadium situation. Secondly, we haven't won a lot lately. Back in 97 the team's monetary net worth was higher. Either the Patriots or Cowboys are the most valuable NFL team.
    Cowboys are.
    I thought the Redskins were, based on the value of FedEx field.

    =Z=

    Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Similar Threads

  1. How Much are the Vikings Worth to Minnesotans?
    By Flidais in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-20-2010, 02:48 PM
  2. Vikings Fan In Fort Worth, Texas
    By purple04 in forum Free Beer!
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 10-21-2007, 01:25 PM
  3. Inside the NFL: Vikings not worth mention?
    By DeathtoDenny in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-13-2007, 02:16 AM
  4. Ex-Vikings assistant Trestman worth a look
    By singersp in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-30-2006, 10:53 PM
  5. Vikings' worth least among NFL teams
    By singersp in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-01-2006, 01:23 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •