Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

Re: How many primetime games will the Vikings have in 2008?

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "tgorsegner" wrote:
    I hope MN gets ZERO NFL Network Games. Quite a few people, including myself unless I am at home, have no opportunity to watch these game. Does that make us less of fans? IMHO the league cheats the fan base by putting games on a network that a relatively small portion of fans have and that has quite frankly inferior coverage. ESPN games are bad enough, If I had my way I would like to see all the games be on Fox. CBS and ABC are ok, but I think Fox covers the games best. The broadcast networks are the best for access, even though out-of-market fans have to shell out big $$ to Directv to see their teams anyway.
    Not to hijack the thread, but the NFL wants NFLN available to everybody who has basic cable.
    It is the cable companies who are balking, and therefore the ones who are cheating the fan base.
    Not to hijack your hijack, but it's the cable companies who are standing up for the MILLIONS of basic cable subscribers who don't want to pay the ridiculous fee that the NFL is demanding for the niche programming of NFLN.
    These people do not want nor care to have NFLN in their homes, but that is exactly the stance of the NFL - it will be yours!
    Rather than allowing it to be an option on a sports tier, the NFL wants for it ONLY to go to EVERYONE.
    Basically, the NFL wants to force all consumers of the cable product to pay for an option that only some want.

As to the # of primetime games - I say 3.
    Nice argument, but the % of viewers who want ESPN is probably fairly close to the % of viewers who want NFLN (The number of sports fans who don't watch football is relatively small).
    Yet ESPN charges more than ten times the price for their package.
    FYI, the price of ESPN has gone up steadily for the past decade.

Anyway... I would rather have a Sunday night or Monday night game than a Thursday game.
    I will continue to poke holes in your blind support of the NFL and their draconian NFLN policies.

I don't know where you get the $.40 deal, but I've never heard anything on the per subscriber charger (which is what NFLN charges the cable companies - add on some more to figure what it will cost the consumer) at less than $.70.

And NFLN is NICHE programming.
    7 months of the year, they have no new content.

ESPN shows baseball, the NBA, college sports galore, auto racing, bowling, curling, horse racing, gymnastics, figure skating, etc. etc.

I'm going to write down on a piece of paper here next to me what your next counter-argument will now be.

Thread note:
    I don't particularly like going to prime-time home games - especially in December.
    COLD!

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Really depends on how they can hype the games.
    I see the following games as nationally broadcast events:

Chicago Bears
    Detroit Lions
    Green Bay Packers - At least one of these.
    Probably the home game for the Packers.
    In fact, as much as I hate to admit it, they will try to get as many Favrrrrrreeee games on nationally as they can.
    Could (we can only hope) be his last year.
    Atlanta Falcons
    Carolina Panthers
    New York Giants - Hyped as a rehash of the only game the Giants didn't avenge last year.
    Houston Texans
    Indianapolis Colts - Tony returns kindof thing.

New Orleans Saints
    Tampa Bay Buccaneers
    Arizona Cardinals
    Jacksonville Jaguars - Kindof a reach on this one but I think the NFL will want to get as much visability for Jax after thier run last year.
    AD vs Gerrard kindof spin.
    Tennessee Titans

Please no Thurs Night games........Hate the short week unless it sets us up for a long week of prep for someone like the Giants or Colts.
    :'(
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    NFLN wants to charge 40 cents per subscriber.
    ESPN charges nearly $5 per subscriber.
    It is more of an issue with cable companies knowing they could make more money if it was offered solely on the sports tier.
    Find me documentation that ESPN charges $5/subscriber.
    I've never read anything more than $3 - and I think that was too high.
    Also - is that just for ESPN, or for ESPN2, ESPNClassic, ESPNU and The Ocho?

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Zeus" wrote:
    I'm going to write down on a piece of paper here next to me what your next counter-argument will now be.

Thread note:
    I don't particularly like going to prime-time home games - especially in December.
    COLD!

=Z=

I hope you wrote this down then:

You obviously don't have NFLN if you think that they only have new content for 5 months out of the year.
    You are assuming that they only report on stuff during the regular season.
    There is the combine, Free agency, the draft (this is a HUGE part in the offseason), rookie signings, OTAs, training camps, preseason, the regular season, the playoffs, the super bowl... and then we start over again.
    The only slow time is in late May/Early June - after the draft analysis grows old and before the OTAs start.
    It is more specialized programming than ESPN, but to say that it only has new content for 5 months out of the year is simply wrong.

As to the price the NFLN charges, you are correct.
    It is $.70 cents, not 40 (I actually knew that too, my brain must ahve short circuited this morning).
    ESPN packages vary according to what channels are taken.
    The $3 you reference is usually a minimum of 3 (ESPN, ESPN2, Classic) with the others being add ons (for additional charges of course).
    ESPN, BTW is owned by Disney, and they often require subscriptions to additional channel packages for the right to subscribe to ESPN.
    When we were in IL, we took part in negotiations with several cable channel providers to update packages for the university's cable service.
    ESPN and its channels were by far the most expensive (nearly $5 per subscriber).
    CNN's package, which provided more channels was $.50 per subscriber.
    NFLN did not exist at the time.

Don't make the cable companies out to be some kind of victim here.
    Instead of negotiating prices with NFLN, they got into a pissing contest and decided that the network couldn't exist with out them (not the first time it would have happened).
    What they didn't anticipate is both satellite companies picking NFLN up on their basic package, nor the fact that a good percentage of the population would complain loudly if they could not get the channel.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:

Thread note:
    COLD!

=Z=

I hope you wrote this down then:

You obviously don't have NFLN if you think that they only have new content for 5 months out of the year.
    You are assuming that they only report on stuff during the regular season.
    There is the combine, Free agency, the draft (this is a HUGE part in the offseason), rookie signings, OTAs, training camps, preseason, the regular season, the playoffs, the super bowl... and then we start over again.
    The only slow time is in late May/Early June - after the draft analysis grows old and before the OTAs start.
    It is more specialized programming than ESPN, but to say that it only has new content for 5 months out of the year is simply wrong.

As to the price the NFLN charges, you are correct.
    It is $.70 cents, not 40 (I actually knew that too, my brain must ahve short circuited this morning).
    ESPN packages vary according to what channels are taken.
    The $3 you reference is usually a minimum of 3 (ESPN, ESPN2, Classic) with the others being add ons (for additional charges of course).
    ESPN, BTW is owned by Disney, and they often require subscriptions to additional channel packages for the right to subscribe to ESPN.
    When we were in IL, we took part in negotiations with several cable channel providers to update packages for the university's cable service.
    ESPN and its channels were by far the most expensive (nearly $5 per subscriber).
    CNN's package, which provided more channels was $.50 per subscriber.
    NFLN did not exist at the time.

Don't make the cable companies out to be some kind of victim here.
    Instead of negotiating prices with NFLN, they got into a pissing contest and decided that the network couldn't exist with out them (not the first time it would have happened).
    What they didn't anticipate is both satellite companies picking NFLN up on their basic package, nor the fact that a good percentage of the population would complain loudly if they could not get the channel.
    I don't think you can blame either the cable companines or NFL network. They are both businesses that are trying to maximize profits. The nfl wants as many viewers as possible while the cable companies want to keep their base prices low so that they appear more appealing to subscribers who have many choices like satelite.

As far as which is better espn or nfl network. I love nfl network, I watch it all the time. But espn has so much more. It is not just one sport it is hundreds. They shell out money to get NFL games, NBA games, MLB games and the X games. I would imagine(although I have no proof) that NFL network is making a much larger profit since it does not pay for much of their programming, since they own everything NFL.

New theory, what if the state mandates that every subscriber who recieves NFL network is charged a stadium tax of say $1 a month. I imagine a couple of million homes in the state have NFL network so that money could add up quick and in 5-10years we could have a new stadium. In a sense it would be forcing the most successful sports league in the world to help pay for a new stadium. ;D

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123