Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

How it's played out

Posted on Sun, Dec. 04, 2005

[size=18px]How it's played out[/size]

BY DON SEEHOLZER
    Pioneer Press

After opening the season with five new starters, the Vikings' defense has finally come together over the past four weeks but not exactly in the way they expected. Here's a look at the five offseason additions and how they've done.

NT Pat Williams

• Preseason expectation: Signed as a run stopper and to take double teams off DT Kevin Williams.

• Late-season update: Has outperformed his injured all-pro running mate. Now Pat is the Williams drawing double teams.

FS Darren Sharper

• Preseason expectation: Signed to be the QB of the secondary and give the Vikings a playmaker at the position.

• Late-season update: Has done all that and more with seven interceptions, including two returns for touchdowns.

CB Fred Smoot

• Preseason expectation: Expected to pair with Antoine Winfield and give the Vikings a pair of shutdown corners.

• Late-season update: Having a rough season before being shut down three games ago by a fractured collarbone. Former starter Brian Williams has played better.

LB Sam Cowart

• Preseason expectation: Acquired from the Jets to get everyone lined up right and be a steadying influence in the middle.

• Late-season update: The Vikings got just what they thought they would in Cowart, who was well worth the seventh-round draft choice they gave up.

LB Napoleon Harris

• Preseason expectation: Acquired from Oakland in the Randy Moss trade, strong-side linebacker was supposed to be his natural position.

• Late-season update: Outplayed from the start by Keith Newman, who moved into the starting lineup five games into the season and has emerged as a team leader.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Prophet Guest

Re: How it's played out

Not too shabby. We have had many worse scenarios in the past. I'm thankful that Williams has been playing better, maybe Smoot is just what the doctor ordered for getting a fire under his ass.

Can't say enough about Pat Williams and Darren Sharper. They have helped our D immensely. I am so glad we picked those guys up in the off season.
    Even babies know the difference.

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

The thing with that is that the people that the people who didn't help so much have been replaced very well. (IE Smoot, Napo). IT really has worked out for us well with B-Dub and Newman stepping up and taking starting roles.

Del Rio Guest

I'm not going to pretend Napo is living up to expectations but he has made a handful of game altering plays that have really gone unappreciated. HUGE sacks, fumbles....

If he would be more consistant I think he would have a spot full time somewhere.

When he is in there and they use him for pressure he is pretty decent

DCPologirl is offline Team Alumni

"kramer9guy" wrote:
    Can't say enough about Pat Williams and Darren Sharper. They have helped our D immensely. I am so glad we picked those guys up in the off season.
    Yes they have...I hope we continue to build around both of those guys. I am so tired of having one of the worst defenses in the NFL. They were both worth it.

DCPologirl:Maybe Randy will make Aaron Brooks look better......roflmao Del Rio: I guarantee he will

michaelmazid is offline Team Alumni

Troy Williamson

Preseason expectation: brought in to replace future hall of famer Randy Moss.

Late Season update: HAS NOT DONE JACK SHITTT!!!

C-PepNSalt is offline Pro-Bowler

I love this feeling...not used to it....
    when I know that if we punt, our defense will actually stop the other team (most of the time) and we'll get the ball back, and be at it again!

So this is what a defense is supposed to be...who'da thunk it!
    "Johnson, we will keep on beating them until morale improves."

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

CJ Mosley is outplaying K-will too.. 3 Sacks already! He got one last game correct?

VegasLadyJae is offline Pro-Bowler

"michaelmazid" wrote:
    Troy Williamson

Preseason expectation: brought in to replace future hall of famer Randy Moss.

Late Season update: HAS NOT DONE JACK SHITTT!!!
    I think Troy has done well considering the offense he came from.....Their will never be another Moss this decade.....With that said Randy Moss has some serious work to do before he even dreams about the Hall of Fame.....

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast