Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

How good is Kyle Rudolph?

I liked Kyle Rudolph when he broke records in college at Notre Dame and (naturally) I liked him even more after he was drafted by the Vikings in 2011. Kyle stands out when he's on the field with his monster 6'6", 260 pounds frame. Almost identical to Patriot's tight end and NFL's best, Rob Gronkowski, and that's not the only thing they have in common. Both have long arms and huge hands (at exactly 10' 3/4") which they clearly know how to put to good use. As evident by leading the league's tight ends in touchdowns with 11 (Gronkowsi) and 9 (Rudolph) just this past season.

Rudolph and Gronkowski were also both drafted in the second round (Gronk in 2010 at 42, and Rud in 2011 at 43, just one spot after Gronk) and they both have injury questions that caused them to slide in the draft. Gronk is 24 years old and Rudolph is just 23 years old.

Where am I going with this? Well... besides many interesting comparisons to NFL's best tight end who is one of the most dominant players in recent years... imagine if Kyle Rudolph had Tom Brady throwing him the ball. Kyle was 3 TD's away from setting a franchise record last year with Ponder at QB. I truly believe that if you replace Gronkowski on Patriots with Rudolph, Rudolph might as well have the NFL record for TD's by a tight end.

Kyle Rudolph needs two things: more balls thrown to him, but more importantly, how the balls are thrown to him. Throw the ball in the right spot and we have seen time and time again that Rudolph will get the ball. That's his forté! He has superb receiving skills with incredible strong hands combined with excellent size which he effectively use against defenders.

I think the last season's Pro Bowl MVP is a top tight end who unfortunately is being vastly underutilized. Sure, Kyle has already proven that he is an elite red-zone target and he led the NFC tight ends in TD's last year. However, he didn't have impressive number of receptions. I envision that Rudolph can be similar to Jasson Witten moving the chain. If Ponder can improve this year, I think Rudolph will instantly be in the "NFL's elite" conversation.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    I agree that I would love to see him utilized more in the offense and I really think his presence is the one thing that has me less worried about having a gazillion WR's on the roster.

With the way he can play we really only need 2 WR's and AP to make this offense click if the QB is doing their job.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    The one play Rudolph and Ponder should be practicing ad nauseam is the high throw at the edge of the end zone. It's basically indefensible. Rudolph can go higher than most any defender and he has great hands. The key is Ponder being able to make that throw consistently and trusting it. He made it a few times last year, but I thought it should have been used more. However, Ponder did go to Rudolph quite often in the red zone on many different patterns with much success.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    6'6 and 260 Lbs- Isn't that about where culpepper was at when he played here?

HEY
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    6'6 and 260 Lbs- Isn't that about where culpepper was at when he played here?
    Cut off 2 inches and you'll be about right.

On a noter note, is it just me or does Rudolph look even bigger on the field? I swear, he plays more like he's 6'7" or 6'8" tall. Maybe it is an illusion because Gronkowski looks more broad-shouldered than Kyle.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    He's that good!

Now use him more rather than let him waste & use him in a more beneficial way (see his Pro Bowl plays for ideas)

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    He's that good!

Now use him more rather than let him waste & use him in a more beneficial way (see his Pro Bowl plays for ideas)
    You forget that in the pro bowl there were several WRs that required the D's attention. We didn't have that last year; this year remains to be seen. Can Jennings/Patterson/Wright pull the coverage to give Rudolph the room he got in that pro bowl game, that is the dilema before us.

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

MossMems is offline Rookie
    Kyle's main problem is, he has Mr happy feet, Mr 1 read, throwing the ball to him. On a team with a decent OC, and decent QB (esp. with the entire D focused on AD) Kyle would be a superstar by now.

HEY
    Blog Entries
    Forget about the attention argument in Pro Bowl for a moment. Rudolph was awarded the MVP because he had elite quarterbacks who threw him the ball. Quarterbacks who trusted him and knew how to place the ball in the right spot. It showed us how dominant Rudolph can be when he has that.

MossMems is offline Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by HEY View Post
    Forget about the attention argument in Pro Bowl for a moment. Rudolph was awarded the MVP because he had elite quarterbacks who threw him the ball. Quarterbacks who trusted him and knew how to place the ball in the right spot. It showed us how dominant Rudolph can be when he has that.
    ^
    this

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast