Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

Re: How to fix the pass D?

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    A breakdown of the three passing TDs.

1. Winfield has man coverage on Berrian. He gets caught looking into the backfield, guesses an inside route, and ends up falling over himself after he realizes he has guessed wrong. Berrian is all by himself. There is no safety help because it is man coverage. Touchdown.
    I watched the replay only because I did not see the game.
    I will check my DVD though tomorrow.

But, it appeared that this was zone coverage.
    The safety did not help on AW's side of the field and was scrambling to get over.
    Winfield was looking back for the ball and fell on his can.
    He was not looking into the backfield and his not covering for an inside route.

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80340d7e
    The safety, Smith, was lined up over the TE. He was one-on-one with the FB, which I can accept because Olsen and Clark had been gashing zone defenses in prior games. However, there was no TE in on his side, so he takes the FB, who ran a flat route. In this situation Sharper has the entire deep zone, but will tend to shade Griffin's side since QBs usually try to expose him. We left Winfield on an island that play.

Winfield made his break way to early to be looking back for the ball. Look at where he stopped running and where the ball was thrown. If he was reacting to the ball in the air, he would have kept running deep to where the ball was eventually caught. It's pretty clear he tried to jump a slant route. Maybe he saw Udeze applying pressure and thought Griese would not be able to get a clean deep pass off. He guessed wrong and ended up looking foolish.
    Ok, I can see the the Safety alignments and responsibilities.
    But Winfield turned to the ball and just lost his step.
    He did not know where it would be caught, that is why he looked to the ball.

I think you are reading into a little too much.
    According to Nodak, (I have not listened to the podcast) Winfield himself confirmed that my analysis was correct. However, somehow I am reading into to it too much.
    :
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

skum is offline Team Alumni
    Blog Entries

How to fix it?? trade for Jason Taylor and Julius Peppers

----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

Barack Obama is offline Starter

Should've drafted Laron Landry.
    Man that Peterson kid is a bum.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"V" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "V" wrote:

1. Winfield has man coverage on Berrian. He gets caught looking into the backfield, guesses an inside route, and ends up falling over himself after he realizes he has guessed wrong. Berrian is all by himself. There is no safety help because it is man coverage. Touchdown.

The safety did not help on AW's side of the field and was scrambling to get over.

The safety, Smith, was lined up over the TE. He was one-on-one with the FB, which I can accept because Olsen and Clark had been gashing zone defenses in prior games. However, there was no TE in on his side, so he takes the FB, who ran a flat route. In this situation Sharper has the entire deep zone, but will tend to shade Griffin's side since QBs usually try to expose him. We left Winfield on an island that play.

Winfield made his break way to early to be looking back for the ball. Look at where he stopped running and where the ball was thrown. If he was reacting to the ball in the air, he would have kept running deep to where the ball was eventually caught. It's pretty clear he tried to jump a slant route. Maybe he saw Udeze applying pressure and thought Griese would not be able to get a clean deep pass off. He guessed wrong and ended up looking foolish.

According to Nodak, (I have not listened to the podcast) Winfield himself confirmed that my analysis was correct. However, somehow I am reading into to it too much.
    :
    I will believe it when I hear it.
    If I am wrong, I am a man and can admit it.

Carry on with your insight.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    [quote author=V link=topic=38769.msg655532#msg655532 date=1192498226]

:

[/quote]

Here's my breakdown...........

Winfield was back peddling, fell down went "boom". Wide open Berriman catches ball........touchdown.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    [quote author=ultravikingfan link=topic=38769.msg655580#msg655580 date=1192504543]
    [quote author=V link=topic=38769.msg655532#msg655532 date=1192498226]

:

[/quote]

Here's my breakdown...........

Winfield was back peddling, fell down went "boom". Wide open Berriman catches ball........touchdown.
    [/quote]

My goodness. He clearly stopped his backpedal, then tripped over himself after he guessed wrong.
    Nodak do you have a link to that podcast?

My main point however, was that our defense is fine so long as they don't give up the big play. Moreover, I don't see those big plays as a result of a bad scheme. I see them as bad execution in the secondary.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"V" wrote:
    My goodness. He clearly stopped his backpedal, then tripped over himself after he guessed wrong.
    Nodak do you have a link to that podcast?

My main point however, was that our defense is fine so long as they don't give up the big play. Moreover, I don't see those big plays as a result of a bad scheme. I see them as bad execution in the secondary.
    Yup.
    Cogs posted it yesterday.
    Winfield talks about the play about half way through.

I do stand corrected on one part - they were in a three deep zone, not man.
    So Ultra was correct in that respect.
    But you were correct in the fact that he was trying to jump a route.
    Sorry if I created any confusion.

We were in three deep zone, me being a vet, studying film, trying to jump a route, which I didn't get that time he just ran a straight go.
    [He] made a play on me... Usually when they get in that position he runs a skinny post which I play inside for the post.
    But he kept it straight down the field, and me twisting up and falling on my face.
    10/15 - Antoine Winfield Interview (podcast)
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

PurplePowerPunch is offline Pro-Bowler

We need a faster pass-rusher on the D-Line, cause no one is getting to the QB.

ALL DAY!!!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567