Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Results 61 to 68 of 68
  1. #61
    V-Unit's Avatar
    V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    6,317

    Re: How to fix the pass D?

    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    A breakdown of the three passing TDs.

    1. Winfield has man coverage on Berrian. He gets caught looking into the backfield, guesses an inside route, and ends up falling over himself after he realizes he has guessed wrong. Berrian is all by himself. There is no safety help because it is man coverage. Touchdown.
    I watched the replay only because I did not see the game.
    I will check my DVD though tomorrow.

    But, it appeared that this was zone coverage.
    The safety did not help on AW's side of the field and was scrambling to get over.
    Winfield was looking back for the ball and fell on his can.
    He was not looking into the backfield and his not covering for an inside route.

    http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80340d7e
    The safety, Smith, was lined up over the TE. He was one-on-one with the FB, which I can accept because Olsen and Clark had been gashing zone defenses in prior games. However, there was no TE in on his side, so he takes the FB, who ran a flat route. In this situation Sharper has the entire deep zone, but will tend to shade Griffin's side since QBs usually try to expose him. We left Winfield on an island that play.

    Winfield made his break way to early to be looking back for the ball. Look at where he stopped running and where the ball was thrown. If he was reacting to the ball in the air, he would have kept running deep to where the ball was eventually caught. It's pretty clear he tried to jump a slant route. Maybe he saw Udeze applying pressure and thought Griese would not be able to get a clean deep pass off. He guessed wrong and ended up looking foolish.
    Ok, I can see the the Safety alignments and responsibilities.
    But Winfield turned to the ball and just lost his step.
    He did not know where it would be caught, that is why he looked to the ball.


    I think you are reading into a little too much.
    According to Nodak, (I have not listened to the podcast) Winfield himself confirmed that my analysis was correct. However, somehow I am reading into to it too much.
    :
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet


    Thanks Josdin!

  2. #62
    skum's Avatar
    skum is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    2,884
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: How to fix the pass D?

    How to fix it?? trade for Jason Taylor and Julius Peppers


    ----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

  3. #63
    Barack Obama's Avatar
    Barack Obama is offline Starter
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    185

    Re: How to fix the pass D?

    Should've drafted Laron Landry.
    Man that Peterson kid is a bum.

  4. #64
    ultravikingfan's Avatar
    ultravikingfan is offline Administrator
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    24,514

    Re: How to fix the pass D?

    "V" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    A breakdown of the three passing TDs.

    1. Winfield has man coverage on Berrian. He gets caught looking into the backfield, guesses an inside route, and ends up falling over himself after he realizes he has guessed wrong. Berrian is all by himself. There is no safety help because it is man coverage. Touchdown.
    I watched the replay only because I did not see the game.
    I will check my DVD though tomorrow.

    But, it appeared that this was zone coverage.
    The safety did not help on AW's side of the field and was scrambling to get over.
    Winfield was looking back for the ball and fell on his can.
    He was not looking into the backfield and his not covering for an inside route.

    http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80340d7e
    The safety, Smith, was lined up over the TE. He was one-on-one with the FB, which I can accept because Olsen and Clark had been gashing zone defenses in prior games. However, there was no TE in on his side, so he takes the FB, who ran a flat route. In this situation Sharper has the entire deep zone, but will tend to shade Griffin's side since QBs usually try to expose him. We left Winfield on an island that play.

    Winfield made his break way to early to be looking back for the ball. Look at where he stopped running and where the ball was thrown. If he was reacting to the ball in the air, he would have kept running deep to where the ball was eventually caught. It's pretty clear he tried to jump a slant route. Maybe he saw Udeze applying pressure and thought Griese would not be able to get a clean deep pass off. He guessed wrong and ended up looking foolish.
    Ok, I can see the the Safety alignments and responsibilities.
    But Winfield turned to the ball and just lost his step.
    He did not know where it would be caught, that is why he looked to the ball.


    I think you are reading into a little too much.
    According to Nodak, (I have not listened to the podcast) Winfield himself confirmed that my analysis was correct. However, somehow I am reading into to it too much.
    :
    I will believe it when I hear it.
    If I am wrong, I am a man and can admit it.

    Carry on with your insight.

  5. #65
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,266

    Re: How to fix the pass D?

    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    [quote author=V link=topic=38769.msg655532#msg655532 date=1192498226]
    A breakdown of the three passing TDs.

    1. Winfield has man coverage on Berrian. He gets caught looking into the backfield, guesses an inside route, and ends up falling over himself after he realizes he has guessed wrong. Berrian is all by himself. There is no safety help because it is man coverage. Touchdown.
    I watched the replay only because I did not see the game.
    I will check my DVD though tomorrow.

    But, it appeared that this was zone coverage.
    The safety did not help on AW's side of the field and was scrambling to get over.
    Winfield was looking back for the ball and fell on his can.
    He was not looking into the backfield and his not covering for an inside route.

    http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80340d7e
    The safety, Smith, was lined up over the TE. He was one-on-one with the FB, which I can accept because Olsen and Clark had been gashing zone defenses in prior games. However, there was no TE in on his side, so he takes the FB, who ran a flat route. In this situation Sharper has the entire deep zone, but will tend to shade Griffin's side since QBs usually try to expose him. We left Winfield on an island that play.

    Winfield made his break way to early to be looking back for the ball. Look at where he stopped running and where the ball was thrown. If he was reacting to the ball in the air, he would have kept running deep to where the ball was eventually caught. It's pretty clear he tried to jump a slant route. Maybe he saw Udeze applying pressure and thought Griese would not be able to get a clean deep pass off. He guessed wrong and ended up looking foolish.
    Ok, I can see the the Safety alignments and responsibilities.
    But Winfield turned to the ball and just lost his step.
    He did not know where it would be caught, that is why he looked to the ball.


    I think you are reading into a little too much.
    According to Nodak, (I have not listened to the podcast) Winfield himself confirmed that my analysis was correct. However, somehow I am reading into to it too much.
    :
    I will believe it when I hear it.
    If I am wrong, I am a man and can admit it.

    Carry on with your insight.
    [/quote]

    Here's my breakdown...........

    Winfield was back peddling, fell down went "boom". Wide open Berriman catches ball........touchdown.

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  6. #66
    V-Unit's Avatar
    V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    6,317

    Re: How to fix the pass D?

    "singersp" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    [quote author=ultravikingfan link=topic=38769.msg655580#msg655580 date=1192504543]
    [quote author=V link=topic=38769.msg655532#msg655532 date=1192498226]
    A breakdown of the three passing TDs.

    1. Winfield has man coverage on Berrian. He gets caught looking into the backfield, guesses an inside route, and ends up falling over himself after he realizes he has guessed wrong. Berrian is all by himself. There is no safety help because it is man coverage. Touchdown.
    I watched the replay only because I did not see the game.
    I will check my DVD though tomorrow.

    But, it appeared that this was zone coverage.
    The safety did not help on AW's side of the field and was scrambling to get over.
    Winfield was looking back for the ball and fell on his can.
    He was not looking into the backfield and his not covering for an inside route.

    http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80340d7e
    The safety, Smith, was lined up over the TE. He was one-on-one with the FB, which I can accept because Olsen and Clark had been gashing zone defenses in prior games. However, there was no TE in on his side, so he takes the FB, who ran a flat route. In this situation Sharper has the entire deep zone, but will tend to shade Griffin's side since QBs usually try to expose him. We left Winfield on an island that play.

    Winfield made his break way to early to be looking back for the ball. Look at where he stopped running and where the ball was thrown. If he was reacting to the ball in the air, he would have kept running deep to where the ball was eventually caught. It's pretty clear he tried to jump a slant route. Maybe he saw Udeze applying pressure and thought Griese would not be able to get a clean deep pass off. He guessed wrong and ended up looking foolish.
    Ok, I can see the the Safety alignments and responsibilities.
    But Winfield turned to the ball and just lost his step.
    He did not know where it would be caught, that is why he looked to the ball.


    I think you are reading into a little too much.
    According to Nodak, (I have not listened to the podcast) Winfield himself confirmed that my analysis was correct. However, somehow I am reading into to it too much.
    :
    I will believe it when I hear it.
    If I am wrong, I am a man and can admit it.

    Carry on with your insight.
    [/quote]

    Here's my breakdown...........

    Winfield was back peddling, fell down went "boom". Wide open Berriman catches ball........touchdown.
    [/quote]

    My goodness. He clearly stopped his backpedal, then tripped over himself after he guessed wrong.
    Nodak do you have a link to that podcast?

    My main point however, was that our defense is fine so long as they don't give up the big play. Moreover, I don't see those big plays as a result of a bad scheme. I see them as bad execution in the secondary.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet


    Thanks Josdin!

  7. #67
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,601
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: How to fix the pass D?

    "V" wrote:
    My goodness. He clearly stopped his backpedal, then tripped over himself after he guessed wrong.
    Nodak do you have a link to that podcast?

    My main point however, was that our defense is fine so long as they don't give up the big play. Moreover, I don't see those big plays as a result of a bad scheme. I see them as bad execution in the secondary.
    Yup.
    Cogs posted it yesterday.
    Winfield talks about the play about half way through.


    I do stand corrected on one part - they were in a three deep zone, not man.
    So Ultra was correct in that respect.
    But you were correct in the fact that he was trying to jump a route.
    Sorry if I created any confusion.

    We were in three deep zone, me being a vet, studying film, trying to jump a route, which I didn't get that time he just ran a straight go.
    [He] made a play on me... Usually when they get in that position he runs a skinny post which I play inside for the post.
    But he kept it straight down the field, and me twisting up and falling on my face.
    10/15 - Antoine Winfield Interview (podcast)
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  8. #68
    PurplePowerPunch is offline Pro-Bowler
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    456

    Re: How to fix the pass D?

    We need a faster pass-rusher on the D-Line, cause no one is getting to the QB.

    ALL DAY!!!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Similar Threads

  1. Pass Defense
    By Schutz in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 11-05-2007, 03:48 PM
  2. Can you pass third grade?
    By Prophet in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-25-2006, 12:27 AM
  3. Pass Rush
    By Hitstick31 in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10-09-2005, 03:37 AM
  4. Pass me a tissue...
    By Caine in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 10-05-2005, 10:58 PM
  5. Pass the bucket ....
    By AngloVike in forum Trash the Pack
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 12-02-2004, 11:38 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •