Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    vikesfargo is offline Asst. Coach

how to fix the defense in the offseason

A great defense starts being great up the middle. Vikings linebackers have been a weak spot for too long. We need to shore them up and make the middle of the defense stout.

The defense was a mixed bag this year. That's better than previous years. Probably everybody would agree that the line and the secondary are much improved. Maybe we stlll need to tinker here or there (trade Smoot?), but the personnel on the defensive line and the secondary is overall pretty good. Maybe we need a new scheme or a new defensive coordinator. I'm not sure.

The huge, glaring problem on defense is at the linebacker position. We have a real shortage of talent there. Injuries did not affect this unit very much this year. Nevertheless they were inconsistent and unproductive all year long. Underlining it we had the Bears backups running wild up the middle on the Vikings defense in Week 17.

Sam Cowart is good, but old and slow. Keith Newman is smart and effective, but not athletically gifted. E.J. Henderson has yet to mature to anywhere near his potential, and probably never will. Napolean Harris is just a disappoitment. Raonall Smith has the athleticism, but he is never near the ball. Dontarrious Thomas has an outside chance of coming into his own, but in decision-making, he has come up short again and again. Rod Davis is an empty suit.

The linebacker position needs to be a high priority in the draft. All we have to do is look back on our decision to pass on Shawn "Lights Out" Merriman (rookie Chargers linebacker (43 solo tackles, 14 assists, 10 sacks, 2 forced fumbles, Pro Bowl selection)). Instead we picked the low-impact Troy Williamson.

The personnel issue at linebacker is the real problem. You can try to use a 3-4 or a 4-3, but with this bunch, it won't matter that much.

It's always good to learn from history. In Vikings history, the best Vikings teams always had a good linebacker. Names like Jeff Siemon, Matt Blair, Scott Studwell, Jack Del Rio, and Jeff Brady come to mind. To win the Super Bowl, at the linebacker position we need two stud players, and two or three additional quality linebackers.

Go Vikings!

Go Vikings!

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

Re: how to fix the defense in the offseason

I don't think we can trade Smoot. We signed him to a big contract and would take a pretty big hit if we got rid of him. Plus you never know what Brian Williams is going to do, he just might leave in FA (which would suck in my opinion).

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

cc21 is offline Ring of Fame

I like our linebacking core but I also think that we probably need to get a dominant linebacker to go back there like a Ray Lewis, Brian Urlacher, John Vilma, someone who is close to the caliber of those guys. If we could get one in the draft and have them make and impact... I don't know.

I will be available in 4 years so pick me! :lol: jk

You better bulk up then chavous!!! From your pics I don't think you are all that big!! lol

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

FuadFan is offline Hall of Famer

What are you talking about I think our offense needs some more work right now then our defense I'd be happy keeping the same LBs we had this year E.J is a solid player as is Cowart and Newman. As for your talk of Merriman he is great in the Chargers 3-4 defense you have no idea if he would be as good as a 4-3 linebacker or defensive end since we do not run the 3-4.
    Minnesota Vikings : Simply the best

Yeah, for the first time in many years I am more worried about our o than our d.

cc21 is offline Ring of Fame

"VKG4LFE" wrote:
    You better bulk up then chavous!!! From your pics I don't think you are all that big!! lol
    lol, come on now VKG. I'm not huge, 5'9 190, but I have been in the weight room and I am going to try to be 220 by next season. Last year as a junior I lead the team in tackles with 75 and I am pretty strong for my size. squat-400 bench-255 power clean-230

Hey man, being little never stopped some guys. Who's that linebacker that plays in Buffalo? He started out with St. Louis. He's little and he's a stud.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Its easy, get rid of Ted Cotrell.

We have the talent already.

magicci is offline Jersey Retired

I like the LB we have right now. I cant wait to see DT really grow up and show what he can realy do. Smith is a good back up. Cowart should stay for two more years one to start and the last to be backup. Newman should be resigned but i think we should go after a big name LB and make Newman backup. Newman is still a good LB dont think i dont know that. EJ is solid at weakside and will be our Mike in a year or two. The future weakside backer will be DT or we will look in someother place for a stud. I still hope Harris could prove me wrong at strong side because he is a heck of an athlete i just want him to make everyone else know that he can play LB as well.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast