Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    jaymz7 is offline Asst. Coach

How can we jump start our offense

Just curious but with all of the WR talent this team has don't you think going with more 3 receiver formations and a tight end in motion would spread the defenses out more? I would think this would eliminate a lot of the blitz packages and if they continue to blitz then you use the short field passes that Brad Johnson is so good at. Also with the defense spread out the running game might also get boost.

Just wondering what does everybody think we could do. Any ideas?

:roll:

Lotza is offline Team Alumni

Re: How can we jump start our offense

i think that they will have to jumpstart themselves!

Just not literally! (Too many Offsides Penalties against Pittsburgh)

Go vikes!!

I agree with you about the o-line, but wouldn't spreading the defenses out and eliminating some of the blitz packages take some pressure off of the o-line?

DemonicViking is offline Ring of Fame

Our Wr corps is decent but we really don't have anyone that strikes fear into opposing defenses so they're not gonna respect us that much in that regard and won't be afraid of applying pressure with the fear of getting burned all that often, it can also be a burden on the running game as well.

We just gotta stay focused and get the job done, whatever works, works, whatever doesn't... well.. hopefully there will be no big setbacks keeping us from winning.. the ravens game doesn't look to be a big task.. the Bears on the other hand could be trouble.. but we won't go down without a fight.. let's do it.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Not get all the darn mental penalties. Nothing can kill momentum more than penalties.

Trick plays. Sometimes they work, sometimes they dont...keep 'em guessing.

Throw to all WR's.

Get an O Coordinator.

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    Not get all the darn mental penalties. Nothing can kill momentum more than penalties.

Throw to all WR's.

Get an O Coordinator.
    I agree with you Ultra. Wouldn't it be great if Baltimore does let Billick go and he agreed to come back as the OC. I think if he just concentrated on an offensive game plan maybe we could bring back some shades of 1998.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"jaymz7" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:

Throw to all WR's.

Get an O Coordinator.
    I agree with you Ultra. Wouldn't it be great if Baltimore does let Billick go and he agreed to come back as the OC. I think if he just concentrated on an offensive game plan maybe we could bring back some shades of 1998.
    Coaches who have won a Super Bowl usually do not take a huge step down like that.

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

To jump start our Offense, it has to start at the Coordinator level. I believe Tice is really trying to get things moving...I'm not sure how good Loney is getting things done (Actually, I'm pretty sure he's simply THERE).

So, if I were Loney, this is what I would do.

In the initial series, look for the following:

1: Running lanes that can be exploited.
    2: Receiving mismatches.

What I mean by #1 is that we don't follow typical Viking running game philosophy...run where ever they shut us down the hardest. We seem to typically have great success running outside...so run outside. Every once in awhile, run up the gut...just to keep 'em honest.

If we can establish some form of running game, we can enhance that with a short passing game. Slants and outs, crossing routes, etc.

Once that happens, we can start looking to sting them deep. Baltimore has decent corners (Even if Sanders is 103), so we're going to have to pick our opportunities...But Koren and Troy have great speed, so let's use it.

O-Line discipline has to be pounded into their heads. Start instituting fines for penalties...$1000 per yard...Rosenthal will owe US money at the end of the season.

Basically, it's easier to run block than to Pass block, so let's play away from our weak O-Line by running a bit more. Use Kleinsasser as a lead blocker...and occassionally run counters using him as a decoy or as the actual ball carrier.

Anyway, that's where I would start.

Caine

cc21 is offline Ring of Fame

I think we will get jump started if we take a shot deap early in the game like we did to Koro in the Detroit game. Everybody was pumped up then.

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

people still blitz against the 3 wr set. and the ravens are another one of those teams that mask coverages and blitzes all the time. so just simplely bringing in another WR really doesnt do that much. but then we get deion on the field more and mabye he'll get tired so we can take a deep shot against him when we need it.
    We're bringing purple back.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast