Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    sdvikefan is offline Hall of Famer

How to beat the Indianapolis Colts

Because of the curse of geography I have seen more Colts games than Vikings games this year. I've watched this team closely and I think I know why we will beat them on Monday night.

The Vikings have become known for their ability to put up points fast with the deep pass attack. Now with Randy Moss on the sidelines, a big part of that attack is missing. Even if he plays, he won't be at full strength. But after watching the KC game, we don't need this type of offense to beat Indy.

First off the running game. If anybody else saw this game, you would have noticed that Priest Holmes got most of his yards by running up the middle, sometimes off tackle. He did get some nice gains to the left end but most of the game he ran up the middle. Mewelde Moore has shown he can break tackles and handle a physical type running game. If we run him straight at the Indy defense, I think we'll have little trouble gaining first downs. If Bennett ends up playing more, I think we should still run him up the middle, because the o-line will have little trouble opening up holes for him against Indy, and Bennett can hit them with speed.

Bottom line, we can beat Indy with the run. Tice needs to establish it early on, and stick with it throughout the game.

Now, as far as the passing game. Trent Green was hitting everybody. He was hitting Holmes and Blaylock, he was hitting Tony G a lot, and he hit Kennison and Hall, especially Hall on routes across the middle a few times. Nate Burleson becomes key to our gameplan. He is our route runner, the guy that is best at going across the middle. I have seen him make some very nice gains attacking that part of the field and I think Daunte should find him, especially on 3rd downs. We can still stretch the defense with Marcus Robinson, because Indy's secondary is not that good. Get the RBs and Jermaine Wiggins involved more in the passing game. Basically, beat Indy at their own game, which is to throw an unpredictable, balanced pass attack at them. We don't need to throw that many deep balls, like we needed to against Philly.

A couple of other notes. We need to take the lead. Seems obvious, but I've seen the difference it can make when playing the Colts. Their entire game plan changes when they are behind. Against KC they tried to get the run going with Edge and they were also using play action, but once KC got a nice lead Manning was looking for one of his "big 3" WRs on almost every down.

Also, turnovers. I think we need them to win this game. Some QBs can turn the ball over and it won't phase them. Manning is not one of these QBs. He gets very flustered when the offense turns the ball over. Getting pressure from our front 4 is critical, more important than anything else we do on defense.

Nothing I've said here is that hard to figure out but I've seen teams not do the right things against the Colts and they end up losing. Running game, turnovers, early lead. If we do that and I think we will, we can beat the Colts.
    "Meet at the quarterback!" -Purple People Eaters

rjkvikings is offline Asst. Coach

That, and score more points then them. But seriously, those were some good points.

Kleinsasser40 is offline Coordinator

Ya, I think we need to give Bennet a few more snaps this next week. If we can get him to use his speed to to break a few runs, then use MM on short yardage plays then I think that will help our offense out a lot!
    [img:2264cdc124]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v482/ultravikingfan/vikesklein.jpg[/img:2264cdc124]

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Re: How to beat the Indianapolis Colts

"sdvikefan" wrote:
    Because of the curse of geography I have seen more Colts games than Vikings games this year. I've watched this team closely and I think I know why we will beat them on Monday night.

The Vikings have become known for their ability to put up points fast with the deep pass attack. Now with Randy Moss on the sidelines, a big part of that attack is missing. Even if he plays, he won't be at full strength. But after watching the KC game, we don't need this type of offense to beat Indy.

First off the running game. If anybody else saw this game, you would have noticed that Priest Holmes got most of his yards by running up the middle, sometimes off tackle. He did get some nice gains to the left end but most of the game he ran up the middle. Mewelde Moore has shown he can break tackles and handle a physical type running game. If we run him straight at the Indy defense, I think we'll have little trouble gaining first downs. If Bennett ends up playing more, I think we should still run him up the middle, because the o-line will have little trouble opening up holes for him against Indy, and Bennett can hit them with speed.

Bottom line, we can beat Indy with the run. Tice needs to establish it early on, and stick with it throughout the game.

Now, as far as the passing game. Trent Green was hitting everybody. He was hitting Holmes and Blaylock, he was hitting Tony G a lot, and he hit Kennison and Hall, especially Hall on routes across the middle a few times. Nate Burleson becomes key to our gameplan. He is our route runner, the guy that is best at going across the middle. I have seen him make some very nice gains attacking that part of the field and I think Daunte should find him, especially on 3rd downs. We can still stretch the defense with Marcus Robinson, because Indy's secondary is not that good. Get the RBs and Jermaine Wiggins involved more in the passing game. Basically, beat Indy at their own game, which is to throw an unpredictable, balanced pass attack at them. We don't need to throw that many deep balls, like we needed to against Philly.

A couple of other notes. We need to take the lead. Seems obvious, but I've seen the difference it can make when playing the Colts. Their entire game plan changes when they are behind. Against KC they tried to get the run going with Edge and they were also using play action, but once KC got a nice lead Manning was looking for one of his "big 3" WRs on almost every down.

Also, turnovers. I think we need them to win this game. Some QBs can turn the ball over and it won't phase them. Manning is not one of these QBs. He gets very flustered when the offense turns the ball over. Getting pressure from our front 4 is critical, more important than anything else we do on defense.

Nothing I've said here is that hard to figure out but I've seen teams not do the right things against the Colts and they end up losing. Running game, turnovers, early lead. If we do that and I think we will, we can beat the Colts.
    I am sending this excellent scouting report to Tice as we speak (so to speak) at wakethef*ckuptice@getyourheadoutofyoura$$.com
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

PhxFan is offline Pro-Bowler

Been to there forums, they are worried about our team. They (obviously) want this win bad. They are really concerned about there D, as we have been...they feel this will be a shootout, one we'll come out on top of. They are also hoping Moss won't be involved!

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

I think last week we had a good discussion going on how to beat the Giants. We were right on on most of the comments. And we got some pressure and sacks on Warner, but he didn't rattle. They fumbled we didn't get the ball. We were holding Tiki in check. The one thing we didn't think about was our own turnovers. We just didn't expect it.

Priority this week.
    1) no Turnovers and score first on offense
    2) D-Line pressure on Manning
    3) tape eli's mouth shut and cut his cell service and telephone lines. Also let's tape him to the goal post in our endzone. Peyton is gong to get a first hand scouting report, NOT FUNNY
    4) stop the Edge.
    5) stop the pass.

By the way, I was surprised to see that we are tied for 6th in the league for 19 sacks. I found that hard to believe. The most sacks is 25 for the Eagles.

It would be nice to get our INTs up for the rest of the season.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

By the way SDVIKE, i thought you had some good comments.

One thing that I would like to see more of is the WRs taking there men deep even without moss in there.

Have Bennett block and release for a check down option and then he has all that room to blaze.

Also, if Bennett takes the LB to one side, it would open the middle for some more QB runs. I think with Moss out, we need to add the QB run demension to the mix. It is the one thing that they might not game plan for. If Daunte does it well it would give them fits. Daunte hasn't ran a lot this year and they may not be expecting it.

Problem is when Daunte gets into the habit of running, he is more prone to fumble.

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

Oh yeah, even without moss we have so many weapons, and snow i highly agree with sending the WR deep and moving bennett to the edges to pull out a LB. Get Pepp running and make the defense pay for it. I hope Linahan has a good plan for this one, he's got a good offensive mind.

Daunte needs to have his A game and if he does there is no stopping our offense, hopefully he gets rolling early, get some points on the board.

hawaiianvike21 is offline Team Alumni

I think the two hardest things to do is pressure manning, he has a formidable line and hasnt gottn sacked much all year long as well as get pressured.

Taking the lead early in which we never really seem to do esp in the first quarter as we scored a whooping 13 points all season long.

Then i ask myself this question, which viking d will show up? The one that has looked decently these past two weeks, or the old viking defense which could get torched often and early on.
    Hupo oe ke kau ana i ka waiupa a ma kou pa o & Hupo na Po o waiupa a

Big C is offline Coordinator

I think it's crucial that we play Bennet in this game. If not as the primary RB then the second. He has the speed to exploit a rather weak defense. I don't think we're in a situation where the passing game opens the run anymore (without Moss). If the running game falters, we are in trouble.
    Halo 4. Start another fight.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast