Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Prophet Guest

Re: how to avoid jinxes...

Good points. First, you have to recognize the jinx and time-frame potential of the item. If you are even suspicious of the item becoming jinxed it must be disposed of immediately. The best and most reliable way of disposal is to have the item incinerated, split the ashes into four piles and have the piles distributed as follows: first pile over the old met site, second pile over the metrodome, third pile over the governor's mansion and the fourth pile over the Mississippi River (a few ashes over every crossing that leads into Wisconsin). If this is done to all potentially jinxed merchandise you can be guaranteed a jinxless season.

Does anyone have any clothes they can lend me?

VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired

"GreenBaySlackers" wrote:
    "VikingMike" wrote:
    "southern_yankee" wrote:
    So this is my first suggested new topic. I'm not sure the correct protocol, but here goes nothing.

I have a problem...jinxes on my Vikings hats. My lucky hat had an unfortunate accident...you know how every Minnesotan worth their salt knows not to leave full closed pop cans (that's soda to non-Minnesotans) in the car during the winter? Apparently every Southerner knows you shouldn't leave 'em in your car during the summer...go figure.

Needless to say, I need a new hat. I'm worried because I've had some bad luck with other hats. One (the funny felt one with horns and yarn braids) is insanely bad luck when I wear it...I can't remember what year, but I got the hat as an early xmas present...I wore it during the games that day. We had three or four different ways to make the play-offs and we didn't make it. It's actually really good luck when someone else wears it...I made my roommate wear it for the first game Moss played in Lambeau (he looked like a total dork, but that game was beautiful...)

Soooo, to make a long post longer, how do you ensure your new Vikings paraphernalia is not jinxed? Is there any way to break a jinx (not that I really want to wear the felt hat)?
    First of all, I commend you on spelling paraphernalia correctly.

Next...jinxes are a funny thing. How does one recognize a true jinx? Is it a short-term or long-term jinx (because sometimes an apparel or accessory item can be unbearable for 2 or 3 quarters but in the end it works out just fine). So one must define the acceptable timeframe for the jinx. For me it's a quarter-season (4 games)...50-50 or worse and it's history.

With a hat, it could something as simple as the manner in which it is worn, i.e. tilted, backwards, bill-up, bill flat, etc. I like the conventional way of wearing the hat, rounded bill facing forward. Again, 4 games, if better than .500 it stays.

Sometimes it's so simple...the jinx can be offset by altering one's seating arrangements, e.g. standing v. sitting, changing chairs, watching the game from outside the house through the front window. These particular things worked very well during the 10th inning of Game 6 of the 1986 World Series...but I digress. The important thing is that you must find your sweet spot and stick with it.

And lastly...there is no way to break the Sports Illustrated cover jinx.

I know of the cover jinx, but idont know about it... will you fill me in on this one?

Here's a link that will enlighten you, although I'd be willing to bet that figure of 37.2% is low.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/features/cover/2002/jinx/main/

Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Come from the land of the ice and snow...

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"Prophet" wrote:
    Good points. First, you have to recognize the jinx and time-frame potential of the item. If you are even suspicious of the item becoming jinxed it must be disposed of immediately. The best and most reliable way of disposal is to have the item incinerated, split the ashes into four piles and have the piles distributed as follows: first pile over the old met site, second pile over the metrodome, third pile over the governor's mansion and the fourth pile over the Mississippi River (a few ashes over every crossing that leads into Wisconsin). If this is done to all potentially jinxed merchandise you can be guaranteed a jinxless season.

Does anyone have any clothes they can lend me?
    I have some old grain sacks that you can wear..only problem is that they have "Property of the Green Bay Packers" stenciled on them! :lol:
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

vikes09 is offline Hall of Famer

cajun!!! shame on you!!! since when do you have packers jerseys?

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

I don't think there is a way to break the jinx other than burning it! I would just get a viking hard helmet if I was you, they are awesome!!!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

Jinx's don't exist! Everything is fate.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"ltrey33" wrote:
    Jinx's don't exist! Everything is fate.
    But trolls do...and there are plenty of them to go around! :lol:

"VKG4LFE" wrote:
    I don't think there is a way to break the jinx other than burning it! I would just get a viking hard helmet if I was you, they are awesome!!!
    what do you do if it's a mixed jinx? the ugly felt hat worked it's magic when my ex-roommate wore it (a la the butt-kicking we handed the packers at moss' first game at lambeau)...if i burn it, maybe i destroy the good luck part...wouldn't that anger the football gods? or would i be appeasing them by burning the bad luck out of it?

thank you for the advice, but i have to say that the hard helmet is not 'the look' for me, so to speak.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"VKG4LFE" wrote:
    What if you go to burn your hat, but it does not burn; scary! :shock:

Prophet Guest

"cajunvike" wrote:
    I have some old grain sacks that you can wear..only problem is that they have "Property of the Green Bay Packers" stenciled on them! :lol:
    Thanks cajun, I'm dead broke after the ash sprinklings and I have this feeling that my home might be jinxed now. I hope my family understands that the jinx has to be destroyed. I will have to watch the games at the bar this year it appears.

I have a feeling that my new big screen tv is jinxed because the Vikes didn't make it to the big dance last year. I caught a buzz from the fumes emmitted while burning the TV.

I have to go to the bank today (before I burn down the house) and take out a home equity loan so I can afford to dispose of the ashes appropriately.

This had better be the year. I don't have any more stuff to burn.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast