Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    PacNWVike is offline Team Alumni

Hovan's Game Report Card Grade???

"whackthepack" wrote:
    "Del Rio" wrote:
    Why hasn't whack chimed in on this yet?

I think Hovan did better because the rest of the line did better Udeze said he would maintain his discipline and I assume he did.

I posted on another thread, but my feeling is that Tice should not have started Hovan to keep his streak alive. I thought that Hovan was more of a factor in this game than he has been in a long time, the threat of losing his starting spot had him motivated.

Here comes the BUT, Steve Martin was the better player on the day!

Even on Hovan's sack at the end of the game 1/2 sack Hovan and 1/2 sack Martin for that play (but Hovan was the bigger factor on that play). I saw Martin at least twice push the guard back into Carr and he was holding his position or pushing the guard into Houston's backfield.

I would have to say I would start Martin next week, and till Hovan that he has to earn his way back to the starting job!

I know some people are not going to like this thats why I have not been posting on this thread.
    Thus my C+/B- grade range... :withstupid:
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
    Edmund Burke

Kleinsasser40 is offline Coordinator

I would give him a B. Once again he was constantly boing doubled. I even saw him split the two blockers on more than one occasion, unfortunately he did not get through fast enough. He had a very good game though in comparison with how he usually does. Good Job Chris.
    [img:2264cdc124]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v482/ultravikingfan/vikesklein.jpg[/img:2264cdc124]

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

"Kleinsasser40" wrote:
    I would give him a B. Once again he was constantly boing doubled. I even saw him split the two blockers on more than one occasion, unfortunately he did not get through fast enough. He had a very good game though in comparison with how he usually does. Good Job Chris.
    Sorry Kleinsasser he is not being doubled on every play or even half the time (it has now become a myth). I saw Martin kick the Texans guards ass, and on the next play the same guard manhandled Hovan by himself!

His preformance is not worth a B rating a C+ is more like it, he still only had 1/2 sack.

He needs to improve every week to be a force in this league, and he is not there yet.

I am hoping that he improves, but right now Martin deserves the start and most of the playing time until Hovan can prove that he is back.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

SKOL is offline Ring of Fame

Was Martin really in on that sack? The way I saw it Hovan had him nearly to the ground and Martin just jumped on top.

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good -Samuel Johnson - lexicographer
    The word genius isn t applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein - Joe Theisman

I am not the stat keeper and I said in earlier post that Hovan was a bigger factor on that play. But it was only 1/2 a sack and he did not have any other tackles or assts.

He did have a better game but lets see how it goes, Martin had a good enough game to deserve the start.

UTVikfan is offline Coordinator

I can't wait to watch this game again. I HAVE to force myself to stop getting caught up in the game, and watch. The last few games I have seen Hovan CONSTANTLY in the backfield, making the quarter back move. This time I saw KW cut through doubles to get sacks, hits etc. But I also saw Hovan sitting on Carr a good number of times. I bet Carr was sick of all of them, but Hovan got there too. Half a sack? HOW? He reaches his arm out and grabs him. How is that half? And even more importantly how did Sup230 start everyone Hovan bashing? That is just wrong.

Del Rio Guest

Martin wasn't flashy but he did his job. Hovan isn't flashy but he was doing the fundementals almost to perfection. He wasn't making plays.

The DE's were not compressing the pocket they were doing whatever they wanted. Tice said that would be corrected this week. So I don't know if I credit Martin or not. Hovan came in made some plays got pressure on the Q. Martin did a good job as well.

But the CB's playing that big of cusion diminishes the time the QB has to hold on the ball. 3 steps then boom dump it off. It takes a whole team to make a DT's stats shine. It seems the Ends are doing good now, so if we tighten up the coverage and make them hold the ball a few seconds more it could be really interesting.

But if right now TODAY Martin does the best with what he has, and can make a play here and there then he is the man for us.

One thing to note is that the D line is contributing to the stopping of the run by taking on extra blockers and allowing the backers to step in the hole's thats a credit to them Hovan included as we have a top ten run D.

Now if we could just stop the pass.

"UTVikfan" wrote:
    I can't wait to watch this game again. I HAVE to force myself to stop getting caught up in the game, and watch. The last few games I have seen Hovan CONSTANTLY in the backfield, making the quarter back move. This time I saw KW cut through doubles to get sacks, hits etc. But I also saw Hovan sitting on Carr a good number of times. I bet Carr was sick of all of them, but Hovan got there too. Half a sack? HOW? He reaches his arm out and grabs him. How is that half? And even more importantly how did Sup230 start everyone Hovan bashing? That is just wrong.
    Sup230, did not start everyone Hovan bashing! A lot of us have said he has not been getting the job done for 2 years. He gets time taken away, and told he wasn't going to start (then Tice caved and started him) and then he has his best game in 2 years.

So was he going thru the motions before, or what is the problem!

I hope he keeps improving!

But I would still start Martin!!

hovan is offline Star Spokesman

[quote="whackthepack
    But I would still start Martin!![/quote]

Whack, why are you always trying to keep the White man down. Bench Russell why you are at it. :wink:

I DON"T CARE WHO FREAKEN STARTS, I just want to see a different scheme or coverage where the opposing RECIEVERS aren't wide open on slants and outs.

DEL RIO WAS RIGHT ON. It is almost impossible to get to the QB on a three step drop and dump. Too much of that the other day and nothing was done to change it. CHANGE THE SCHEME COACH!!!!!!! :shaking:
    Lombardis DEAD,
    Favrays OLD, the Packers SUCK,
    DEAL WITH IT!!!

hovan is offline Star Spokesman

"whackthepack" wrote:
    "Del Rio" wrote:
    Why hasn't whack chimed in on this yet?

I think Hovan did better because the rest of the line did better Udeze said he would maintain his discipline and I assume he did.

I posted on another thread, but my feeling is that Tice should not have started Hovan to keep his streak alive. I thought that Hovan was more of a factor in this game than he has been in a long time, the threat of losing his starting spot had him motivated.

Here comes the BUT, Steve Martin was the better player on the day!

Even on Hovan's sack at the end of the game 1/2 sack Hovan and 1/2 sack Martin for that play (but Hovan was the bigger factor on that play). I saw Martin at least twice push the guard back into Carr and he was holding his position or pushing the guard into Houston's backfield.

I would have to say I would start Martin next week, and till Hovan that he has to earn his way back to the starting job!

I know some people are not going to like this thats why I have not been posting on this thread.
    Did you miss hovan busting through the double team and forcing Carr to throw an incomplete pass.

And Hovan was in the mix applying pressure when Williams got his sack.

Martin played well and deserves to play. Play both of em, keep em both fresh, lets get this team to a SUPERBOWL!!!
    Lombardis DEAD,
    Favrays OLD, the Packers SUCK,
    DEAL WITH IT!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast