Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SKOL is offline Ring of Fame

Hovan Questionable Against Houston

Hovan may sit out against Houston
    Last Update: 10/6/2004 4:30:35 PM

Tom Pelissero
    KFAN dot com

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. -– Defensive tackle Chris Hovan on Wednesday was listed as questionable for Sunday’s game at Houston with a leg injury, and could miss his first start in more than four years.

Hovan suffered a contusion during a fully-padded practice Monday when a teammate inadvertently kicked him in the back of the leg. The 6-foot-2, 296-pound lineman practiced Wednesday and should be healthy enough to play against the Texans, according to head coach Mike Tice.

But the defensive line’s inconsistent play in Minnesota’s 2-1 start has Vikings coaches considering deactivating Hovan and starting veteran backup Steve Martin on Sunday.

The Vikings' defense ranks 30th against the pass through four weeks, and has recorded only five sacks. Hovan, who recorded six sacks in 2001 and five-and-a-half in 2002, hasn’t taken down the quarterback this season. He has just two sacks in his last 21 games.

Minnesota boasts the NFL’s No. 10 run defense, but Martin is a better run-stopper than Hovan and has played in a majority of short-yardage situations. Neither player has posted impressive numbers in the Vikings’ first three games; Hovan has no solo tackles and two assists, while Martin has no solos and one assist.

Martin, signed as a free agent after playing for Houston in 2003, practiced with the first unit Wednesday.

Hovan, a fifth-year veteran out of Boston College, is in the final year of his original rookie contract. He is expected to explore free agency in the offseason.

INJURY REPORT
    The Vikings also listed linebacker Chris Claiborne (knee) and running back Moe Williams (calf) as questionable. Center Matt Birk (ankle) is probable.

Birk practiced Wednesday. Claiborne and Williams aren't expected to practice until Friday.

Tight end Jermaine Wiggins (hand), running back Michael Bennett (knee) and linebacker E.J. Henderson (knee) are out.

The Texans listed four starters on their injury report: safety Eric Brown (knee) is doubtful; running back Domanick Davis (ankle) is questionable; quarterback David Carr (foot) and fullback Moran Norris (knee) are probable.

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good -Samuel Johnson - lexicographer
    The word genius isn t applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein - Joe Theisman

Foreman44 is offline Starter

Re: Hovan Questionable Against Houston

[quote=Hovan, a fifth-year veteran out of Boston College, is in the final year of his original rookie contract. He is expected to explore free agency in the offseason.[/quote]

At this point, let him explore :salute:

diesavike is offline Rookie

I'd say we sit him. I think if he's hurt, that gives Tice a chance to "grade" our defense without Hovan, plus no risk of further injury. Plus it will finally give people a chance to see the defense without him and maybe there could be an answer to the never ending question of whether we're a better defense with, or without him. I know it's only one game, but what the hell, see what Martin can do for us. Just my opinion. I just wanna see some sacks, whoever plays!
    Sell crazy someplace else...we're all stocked up here.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Hovan Questionable Against Houston

"Foreman44" wrote:
    [quote]Hovan, a fifth-year veteran out of Boston College, is in the final year of his original rookie contract. He is expected to explore free agency in the offseason.[/quote wrote:

At this point, let him explore :salute:

I didn't say it Hovan Guy or Del Rio, and I did not go to practice and hurt him!!!!

But 2 sacks in 21 games (my god)! :scratch:
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

LosAngelis is offline Team Alumni

I've always found Hovan a little bit questionable. :-)
    Have you ever seen a race of turtles, and they all go the wrong way instead of towards the finish line?

Welcome to the NFC North.

bigdogbovy is offline Asst. Coach

he'll play
    de43540278a8c8500baf55c07109eb7e

SKOL is offline Ring of Fame

he generally gets revved up for the Pack though. Watching him chase Favre is almost as fun as Randle.

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good -Samuel Johnson - lexicographer
    The word genius isn t applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein - Joe Theisman

bigdogbovy is offline Asst. Coach

All this hovan bashing is a bit much

of the DT's out there with 2 or more sacks, most have a Premier DE nex to them like strahan, kearney, winstrom. DE get the sacks DT block crap up stop rush
    de43540278a8c8500baf55c07109eb7e

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Not to start trouble, but who was the Premier DE next to KWill last year when he got all of his sacks??? BTW, I still think that Hovan is not all bad...but he will have to produce at least some tackles to justify his resigning.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Del Rio Guest

:lol: LOL Whack

I'm not incredibly fond of Hovan I was trying to say there was more to him then stats. And more to D-Line then individual effort. Sit him out especially if he is hurt.

But a contusion is a bruise so I think you may see your red headed step child after all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast