Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Hovan is overrated

But think about it if any QB has all day to throw with no presure on him he will pick apart any defense good or bad.
    Here s the most important thing: You can NEVER lose your sense of humor. Without that, you ve got NOTHING. (Divinci) James Belushi

little redhead is offline Asst. Coach

Hovan is overrated

Nobody on the dline this year has made any exceptional plays. For a part of the defense that is being said to be our strength not one of them have shown me anything. Hovan definately is not playing like he should he gets off the ball quickly and then gets tied up. I did see a couple double teams on him last night but he was singled teamed as well. Our whole dline needs to step up because not a single one of them in the first two games has been overly impressive. Perhaps Mixon coming back will give them a little boost. I expect to see big things from our dline against Chicago this weekend as stated I will give them a few more games before I make any decisions on how horrible they are. If we can't start getting some pressure it is going to be a long season for the Vikings defense once again. But lets be honest not a lot of our play makers from last year yet have done a lot of magic for us this year either on defense. Chavous, Russell etc they have made some plays but no one on the defense this year has really made me take a lot of notice yet I am hoping that changes. Perhaps they all just need another game or two under cotrell and they will start becoming more dominate????

Del Rio Guest

Hovan is overrated

You gotta watch whats going on. There was never an empty backfield. They layered their blocks and to fight through a double team and get cut by a back must get tiring. But I agree, the D-line needs to step it up. But if we have such great players and I think we do, and we aren't getting it done then I blame the coaches.

Last two weeks we played good O-lines. Last night we played against Mcnab, you can't get too deep on him he'll burn you. I'm sure they were putting too much thought into it and pounded that into thier heads.

When you block for pepper or mcnab your job becomes easier. All you need to do is give a shove or just let them run in and keep pushing him. The line was making a serious effort not to get pushed behind Mcnab and maintain the line of scrimage.

The goal is to get three yards deep, they did that. It's just a lame Defensive package. I saw at least one batted ball. I saw 2 sacks, and I saw Mcnab get knocked down numerous times as he threw. I don't feel the D-did all that bad.

The offense moved the rock but lacked the mental fortitude to do anything with it. If I had to chose I'd say the Offense lost this one for us. And the D improoved.

I agree with you on the whole pressure thing. I just think that there was more pressure this week then last week. And if your DB's are playing that huge of a cusion or playing soft then even if the line gets in there fast the QB checks down for 10.

That's what Pepper did all night long and Mcnab. So you either:
    A) play up close risking the long ball, but trusting your athletes ability to make plays. And stopping the short pass and containing run.Give your line more time for a sack.

OR

B) Play the cusion, fear the long ball, give up short stuff hence shortening your lines ability to make a sack and limiting your opportunities to make a play on the ball. You can't intercept what's caught 5 yards in front of you.

We need to play more A. Trust our Db's to make plays if we get burnt once oh well. I'd rather get burnt a few times and make things interesting then play it safe and rely on our offense to do what they do to save us.

They need to rely on the D and give them some chances to do great things. Enough of this timid crap. Our O obviously can't carry us all the time.

Hovan is overrated

I wish I could remember the game to give you my opinon but Im drawing a blank. One thing I do think is Tice coached that game not to lose when he should of coached the game to win.
    Here s the most important thing: You can NEVER lose your sense of humor. Without that, you ve got NOTHING. (Divinci) James Belushi

little redhead is offline Asst. Coach

Hovan is overrated

I do agree with your analysis. I expect to see a lot more pressure from our dline this week against Chicago. You are correct Dallas has an excellent oline and Philly's are no slouch either and add to the fact that you have a very mobile quarterback in Mcnabb and out dline wasn't humiliated but they need to play better and yes be coached better. I am a huge Hovan supporter but so far his stats are not looking so good through two games in fact he has none on the books not that all can be judged by stats but I want to see him get some tackles and at least a few sacks this year as I want him back on our team next year but he isn't the only one not making huge stats this year either so I don't know if it has just been that the first two were just that tough or if it is going to take them a few games to get it together with Cotrells whole scheme or if Cotrell needs to coach this dline better not sure what the problem is but if the dline and I am not just talking Hovan doesn't start getting more pressure it is going to be long year for our db's..... I too also blame the loss last night mostly on the offensive side of the ball and mainly on the fact that Daunte had no time to throw the ball he was on the run all night long.

Hovan is overrated

Sacks would be nice but tackles for losses and hurries on the qb would be a start. hurries are an underated stat for DLineman. It would be nice to see him come up big once in a while.

ndakvikefan is offline Starter

Hovan is overrated

After watching last night I figured out what Hovans problem is. Remember when he had his good season ? He was shooting through the line and making plays. Now everyone says he is double-teamed, well he is on almost every play, but if you keep watching you will figure it out as I did. Since he is so quick he is double teamed immediatly, but as soon as he is slowed down one of the blockers leaves and helps elsewhere. After Hovans initial burst is stopped most O-linemen in the league handle him easily. Philly did this alot last night. Hovan is not big enough to push on big O-Linemen like Kevin Williams can. I think the Vikes should move Scott or play Steve Martin at tackle and maybe move Hovan to DE where he can use his speed more and maybe avoid being slowed up by the double team. Teams don't need to double him very long just long enough to slow him, so when you hear he is doubled all the time he usually is but just not for very long.
    8f72d7a2bfbfd6a931c3ea8edbece812

Del Rio Guest

Hovan is overrated

with our cushy coverages you would have to go unblocked to even contend the pass.

North40 is offline Waterboy

Hovan is overrated

Yeah move him to end. Then if nothing else move him out.
    "Aye and if my Grandmother had wheels, she d be a wagon".

Odin VAVikefan is offline Pro-Bowler

Re: Hovan is overrated

"chubchub" wrote:
    [quote]"cavking" wrote:
    quote]Last year Hovan was in Sport's Illustrated's top 5 over rated list (So was Daunte). They both need to step up or we need to make a change.
    FROM SPORTSILLUSTRATED.com

Last week's question: Who is the NFL's most overrated player?

Warren Sapp is definitely one of the most overrated players in the NFL. Although he clearly has a certain amount of skill, nothing truly makes him stand out from other DTs -- other than his big mouth and former fame. Up-and-comers like Kris Jenkins and Chris Hovan aren't just on their way to replacing Sapp, they already have. -- Gray, Charlotte, N.C.

Eddie George flat out doesn't have it! He's big, he's fast, he looks great in the uni ... but he just doesn't get it done on Sundays. Has he ever averaged more than four yards a carry? -- Bozeman, Mont.

Clinton Portis -- I can run for 1,000 yards off the Denver offensive line. Try running when you have Vaughn Parker as one of your starting lineman (Tomlinson). -- Matt, San Diego

Currently, it is Jeremy Shockey. Being loud and boisterous, and in New York, made Keyshawn Johnson overrated for many years, but Shockey now takes the cake. I have never witnessed so much hype for a player with two career touchdowns. It is ridiculous. -- Benjamin, St. Paul, Minn.

New England's Tom Brady has been and will be the most overrated player ever. New England made the worst mistake ever by thinking that Brady could throw as good a ball as Drew Bledsoe. We will all see in about 15 to 20 years or so when Drew Bledsoe is getting inducted into the Hall of Fame, while the lucky one hit wonder is looking down the halls of shame. -- Jameson, Seattle

No question, it's Kurt Warner! His 15 minutes of fame have run out. And he can't stay healthy. -- Jude, Breaux Bridge, La.

Anybody Brian Billick (the self-described offensive genius) picks as QB. Hey, I want to be the first to say, "Damn, doesn't Kyle Boller remind you an awful (pun intended) lot of ... Ryan Leaf?" -- Pat, Centreville, Md.

Daunte Culpepper is the most overrated player in the NFL. During his early success, he was a product of a great O-Line, Robert Smith, Cris Carter and Randy Moss. Now that some of that talent is gone, Daunte does not always get it done. Plus he puts the ball on the turf two or three times a game, which will haunt his team considerably. -- Joe, New Britain, Conn.

chubchub, this isn't SI.com saying this, it's e-mail responses to SI.com from dumbasses...although I agree that Hovan is overrated without a doubt.
    NMA -- www.newmodelarmy.org

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast