Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
    skum is offline Team Alumni
    Blog Entries

House rejects Vikings stadium proposal

House rejects Vikings stadium proposal

It will soon be to late guys.. From Tom Pelissero

"Mark Wilf and Lester Bagley were tempted to drop the bomb tonight. Bet they wait til it's officially dead for the session. But it'll happen."

- Bomb = relocation

""Somebody's going to have to pull a rabbit out of a hat for this thing to be alive at this point," said Rep. Morrie Lanning"

- Hopefully there is a magician in the MN House

"Lester Bagley, the Vikings' point man on the stadium push at the Capitol, said afterward that the team was "extremely disappointed" at the outcome. "I guess I would ask the state, what else would you expect us to do? What else can we do?" he said. "

- I hope he gets a quick answer

"Rep. Dean Urdahl, R-Grove City, raised a question frequently heard from stadium bill critics as the team's bid has dominated headlines: "Why should we help a billionaire build a stadium he can afford to build himself?""

- DUH!! This guy really doesnt get it

----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    So they get their way with a proposal in Minneapolis instead of Arden Hills, they get the Vikes to put in more money that was originally suggested and still they're not happy??

I know it won't happen as not good business sense, but I'd love Zygi to pay for the entire stadium himself with no contribution from the state. Then he could just pay the necessary state taxes etc and keep all the rest for himself and say " screw you " to the local/state government. They can then keep the Dome for whatever they wish, assuming events wanted to use that instead of Zygi's new complex. Lets see how that works for you and then you can start cutting back on the cultural side of things and let the arty farty types work out how THEY'RE going to fund something they feel is important to them.

Honestly I thought local government in the UK was petty and narrow minded, MN seems to want to take it to a complete new level - wankers !
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by AngloVike View Post
    So they get their way with a proposal in Minneapolis instead of Arden Hills, they get the Vikes to put in more money that was originally suggested and still they're not happy??

I know it won't happen as not good business sense, but I'd love Zygi to pay for the entire stadium himself with no contribution from the state. Then he could just pay the necessary state taxes etc and keep all the rest for himself and say " screw you " to the local/state government. They can then keep the Dome for whatever they wish, assuming events wanted to use that instead of Zygi's new complex. Lets see how that works for you and then you can start cutting back on the cultural side of things and let the arty farty types work out how THEY'RE going to fund something they feel is important to them.

Honestly I thought local government in the UK was petty and narrow minded, MN seems to want to take it to a complete new level - wankers !
    I think the legislature gets it.... but they want to get re-elected.... Wilf needs to make like President Obama or something and do a town hall meeting, make a commercial, whatever. to explain to the rowdy citizens and haters of the plan why it needs to get done...

It will benefit the state as much if not more than the vikings... Not to mention the Twins stadium they just built... they should have done a joint stadium like last time and all this would have been taken care of!

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    I think it is time for the Wilfs to put the Vikings up for sale.

They have put seven years into a losing effort against the simple minded politicians of Minnesota. Politicians that most of YOU, the people of Minnesota, voted for. It isn't going to happen.

Every year that they don't approve a new stadium, two things happen: 1) The price on construction goes up significantly, and 2) the Vikings are that much closer to leaving. The deal for the state is not going to get any better - it is going to get worse every year up to the point that there is no professional football team in Minnesota.

And there won't be another expansion team for them to lobby for. Not this time. The NFL isn't interested into expanding domestically - there is no extra money in it. It won't be like the Timberwolves/Lakers or the Wild/Northstars. It will just be done. No more.

It is time for Zygi to publicly put the team up for sale, and let the state know that it will remain for sale until the state pulls their heads out of their asses and passes a stadium bill, or someone buys the team. And if I were Zygi, I would cap the private money for a stadium right now. $400 million, and not a dime more regardless of how much construction costs go up. The state is the one pissing away money now. If the team moves, I will still be a fan of the team. F the state of Minnesota. Not my state (thank God).

Everyone who was so adamantly against public funding for a stadium the past few years (and you know who you are on this forum), look at where views like yours have gotten us. The state is left with the choice of paying more for a stadium or not having a team. I hope you're proud. Way to go Minnesota.

clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bleedpurple View Post
    I think the legislature gets it.... but they want to get re-elected.... Wilf needs to make like President Obama or something and do a town hall meeting, make a commercial, whatever. to explain to the rowdy citizens and haters of the plan why it needs to get done...

It will benefit the state as much if not more than the vikings... Not to mention the Twins stadium they just built... they should have done a joint stadium like last time and all this would have been taken care of!
    I don't think the legislature gets it. I believe that they think that the Vikings cant or wont leave. Or they believe that somehow the price of construction is going to magically go down. They are wrong on both points.

Here is a perfect example of how they don't get it:
    “Without (a public vote by Minneapolis on a stadium) we are doing a disservice to the people of Minneapolis,” Rep. Dave Hancock, R-Bemidji
    WRONG! The disservice to the people of Minneapolis would be allowing the stadium to leave Minneapolis for either another city or another state. What do they think will happen to the area that the dome occupies now. It is tentatively hanging on at best - if the stadium isn't there it will become an economic hole. All that effort they are putting into revitalizing Washington street will fall off, and that area of the city, with all of its parking lots and half empty buildings will become a slum. Do you want to see what a midwest urban area with negative economic growth looks like. Take a look at Detroit. It isn't a pretty picture. That would be a disservice to the people of Minneapolis.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Ozzie is offline Rookie
    Good freaking hell! I always thought something would eventually get done. This is the first time that I'm thinking they are actually gone....

How can there be no Minnesota Vikings? You can't just switch your favorite team after 26 + years, or pry the worn bumper stickers of my truck, or throw away the jersey's, hats, hoodies, golf covers and all the rest of the shit...Damn, this is not good.

Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    I don't think the legislature gets it. I believe that they think that the Vikings cant or wont leave. Or they believe that somehow the price of construction is going to magically go down. They are wrong on both points.

Here is a perfect example of how they don't get it:

WRONG! The disservice to the people of Minneapolis would be allowing the stadium to leave Minneapolis for either another city or another state. What do they think will happen to the area that the dome occupies now. It is tentatively hanging on at best - if the stadium isn't there it will become an economic hole. All that effort they are putting into revitalizing Washington street will fall off, and that area of the city, with all of its parking lots and half empty buildings will become a slum. Do you want to see what a midwest urban area with negative economic growth looks like. Take a look at Detroit. It isn't a pretty picture. That would be a disservice to the people of Minneapolis.
    Additionally, due to all the lawsuits that the union has filed in Minnesota with the laws different in Minny than other states, i.e. the Williams wall suit, NFLPA collusion and antitrust lawsuit during the CBA...

Best believe, if the Vikings leave there is no way Minnesota gets another team... not through relocation, expansion nothing....

Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    I think it is time for the Wilfs to put the Vikings up for sale.

They have put seven years into a losing effort against the simple minded politicians of Minnesota. Politicians that most of YOU, the people of Minnesota, voted for. It isn't going to happen.

Every year that they don't approve a new stadium, two things happen: 1) The price on construction goes up significantly, and 2) the Vikings are that much closer to leaving. The deal for the state is not going to get any better - it is going to get worse every year up to the point that there is no professional football team in Minnesota.

And there won't be another expansion team for them to lobby for. Not this time. The NFL isn't interested into expanding domestically - there is no extra money in it. It won't be like the Timberwolves/Lakers or the Wild/Northstars. It will just be done. No more.

It is time for Zygi to publicly put the team up for sale, and let the state know that it will remain for sale until the state pulls their heads out of their asses and passes a stadium bill, or someone buys the team. And if I were Zygi, I would cap the private money for a stadium right now. $400 million, and not a dime more regardless of how much construction costs go up. The state is the one pissing away money now. If the team moves, I will still be a fan of the team. F the state of Minnesota. Not my state (thank God).

Everyone who was so adamantly against public funding for a stadium the past few years (and you know who you are on this forum), look at where views like yours have gotten us. The state is left with the choice of paying more for a stadium or not having a team. I hope you're proud. Way to go Minnesota.

clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap
    Putting the team up for sale is not going to get the legislature to move on a stadium... Threatening the move the team is going to get them off their butts... A threaten of a sale still keeps the team in Minnesota and actually buys the legislature more time!

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzie View Post
    Good freaking hell! I always thought something would eventually get done. This is the first time that I'm thinking they are actually gone....

How can there be no Minnesota Vikings? You can't just switch your favorite team after 26 + years, or pry the worn bumper stickers of my truck, or throw away the jersey's, hats, hoodies, golf covers and all the rest of the shit...Damn, this is not good.
    HA!! they will be good souvenirs....

MaxVike is offline Team Alumni
    McCombs gave up. The Wilfs won't, they will relocate. What a clusterfuck.

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast